Billie Joe confirms he's working on new Green Day songs

dudley dawson

5 minutes ago, RedundantIdiot said:

My hope for when they tour the next album is that they use more of the songs from it. Say Goodbye, Outlaws and Bouncing Off the Walls didn't deserve to not be played at all, while Somewhere Now, Too Dumb to Die and Troubled Times were only played a handful of times. 

On a different note, I'm thinking about what studio they will use. Will they stick with Otis? 

Definitely not. They seem to have two bigger studios now, one in Costa Mesa and one in Emeryville.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RedundantIdiot said:

My hope for when they tour the next album is that they use more of the songs from it. Say Goodbye, Outlaws and Bouncing Off the Walls didn't deserve to not be played at all, while Somewhere Now, Too Dumb to Die and Troubled Times were only played a handful of times. 

On a different note, I'm thinking about what studio they will use. Will they stick with Otis? 

I don't remember Troubled Times being played.....

12 minutes ago, The Insider said:

They played it in Brussels

10 minutes ago, The Insider said:

It was only played two times, january 31, 2017, and february 2, 2017

7 hours ago, Hermione said:

Reminds me of at FBHT (where the Rev hadn't even been doing hey ohs) when they went off stage and still everyone in the crowd called them back for the encore by going "heeeey ohhh, heeeey ohhh" :lol:. It would be very sad if he stopped

He got it from this guy and he does it as almost an homage.  He loves Freddie more than probably anyone of his influences.  Freddie, btw, did this almost EVERY time before he would play Under Pressure (ironically not at Live Aid 85 because they didn't play UP) and that's because he improvised his "hey ohs" (more than Billie TBH) but it was a call and response that he did at every show.   And add that to the fact that Freddie Mercury could intimate a crowd of 250,000 people like it was a mini show.  The guys knew how to work a crowd and have them eating out of his hands while BJA was barely in middle school.

You want another interesting Freddie homage.  "Love of my Life" which Freddie made for Mary Austin (who was who he married before he realized he was fully gay, but he loved her.  I've known his story before the movie but the movie did a great job with the love story.  And thinking they wouldn't show the South American popularity of Freddie, I was surprised when they replicated the singing along with "Love of My Life" with over 275k people which was unheard of at the time in Argentina. The reason I thought the movie would exclude that part because it was a precursor to Live Aid.  That crowd at Wembley was half the size of the Argentina show (live part anyway so they had advantage before they ever stepped up on Wembley because they had been playing to 100s of thousands in South America, of course after Live Aid they sold out Wembley for 2 nights in minutes off of the merits of the 22 minute Live Aid 85 show)  If you ever get the chance, watch that whole concert in Argentina (its on YT)..  It is fucking amazing. 

Anyway, my point is that the crowd singing back "Love of My Life", Freddie stated as his favorite moment in his career when the entire crowd sang it back to him.  He has said in interviews that he was amazed that that many people who he thought had no idea what the songs were about or that they understood him at all would show up that many but then when they started playing "Love of My Life" which wasn't their biggest hit or anything, the crowd started singing so loud that Freddie just let them sing the song and that's why BJA loves it so much when he does it with BOBD.

Scene from BR that depicted the above:

And then :) :

Billie and Freddie, the two best lead men in rock and roll history.  I have nothing but love for them.

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Definitely not. They seem to have two bigger studios now, one in Costa Mesa and one in Emeryville.

Didn't know that, you mean their own studio like Otis / Jingletwon (before being discontinued)? 

5 minutes ago, ¡Nunes! said:

Didn't know that, you mean their own studio like Otis / Jingletwon (before being discontinued)? 

I know based on a podcast with Lee Bothwick last year that the Emeryville studio is theirs, they built it. I don’t know as much about the Costa Mesa one but it’s the one they were rehearsing and jamming, etc. out of for the past six months so I assume so. I’m guessing they needed two home bases since they live both North and South now. 

2 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

He got it from this guy and he does it as almost an homage.  He loves Freddie more than probably anyone of his influences.  

Billie and Freddie, the two best lead men in rock and roll history.  I have nothing but love for them.

I read the first line & last & I agree with you😀

Im not sure but was Queen the first band that actively wanted audience participation - "We Will Rock You"

5 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

He got it from this guy and he does it as almost an homage.  He loves Freddie more than probably anyone of his influences.  Freddie, btw, did this almost EVERY time before he would play Under Pressure (ironically not at Live Aid 85 because they didn't play UP) and that's because he improvised his "hey ohs" (more than Billie TBH) but it was a call and response that he did at every show.   And add that to the fact that Freddie Mercury could intimate a crowd of 250,000 people like it was a mini show.  The guys knew how to work a crowd and have them eating out of his hands while BJA was barely in middle school.

Yes of course, awesome Freddie tribute! I always think it's funny that when Billie first started doing hey ohs it was way more of a taking the piss thing, when he did call and response with the crowd in Dookie times it was in a very snarky/ironic way half having fun and half mocking the crowd and the idea of being an arena rock band. Gradually he embraced being a showman in those big venues until it became unironic and all about fun and sharing the love as it is now.

On 2/12/2019 at 4:17 PM, DookieLukie said:

I hope Billie focuses more on lyrics this album. Their lyrics from Dookie to AI were so clever, powerful, and unique. I think they tried to get too complex on 21CB and lost that tongue-in-cheek vibe, and the trilogy and RevRad were just average lyrically (aside from maybe Bang Bang). LIFL seemed to go back in the direction of simple but clever lyrics, so I'm hoping that continues on the next album.

I love 21CB as my fave album but sadly would agree with this attestment. Most of the songs on the Trilogy I could take or leave. RevRad had some really good stuff on it, a couple are repetitive or lackluster with the lyrics ("Youngblood", "Too Dumb To Die", "Bouncing Off The Wall"). This is especially when you compare it to something like AI or Nimrod. Kinda reminds me of Warning - great album, but not as complex or dangerously addictive as some of the others. 

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:39 AM, maryjanewhatsername said:

I love 21CB as my fave album but sadly would agree with this attestment. Most of the songs on the Trilogy I could take or leave. RevRad had some really good stuff on it, a couple are repetitive or lackluster with the lyrics ("Youngblood", "Too Dumb To Die", "Bouncing Off The Wall"). This is especially when you compare it to something like AI or Nimrod. Kinda reminds me of Warning - great album, but not as complex or dangerously addictive as some of the others. 

I disagree with that Warning has some of his most clever lyrics ever and the melodies are ear worming

3 hours ago, neverdone2000 said:

Billie, Tre, and Mike are all staying in LA right now. The city itself, not surrounding areas. @LaughingClock, possibly producer shopping?

What do you think @The Insider 🤔

2 hours ago, jollyroger said:

I disagree with that Warning has some of his most clever lyrics ever and the melodies are ear worming

I was saying that Nimrod and AI were complex and Warning was not :)

18 hours ago, neverdone2000 said:

Billie, Tre, and Mike are all staying in LA right now. The city itself, not surrounding areas. @LaughingClock, possibly producer shopping?

And now we see Chris Dugan is there too!  Somethings going on 🙏🙏🙏😍😍😍

3 hours ago, jengd said:

And Hans 😊

Ooh I finally come back to something maybe happening?

I just hope whatever they come back with knocks my socks off! Hearing Bang Bang for the first time was amazing, and I want an experience even better than that for the next lead single (whenever it comes)

It sounds like the GD new album express train will soon be departing to a magical new world :yay:

I hope they use a snippet of Billies harp from Viggiano on the album. 

Is late next year possible? About four years since RevRad... 

But then a world tour doesn't happen until 2021, and I will still be poor by then. Fuck, now I have anxiety. 

1 hour ago, Signe said:

Is late next year possible? About four years since RevRad... 

But then a world tour doesn't happen until 2021, and I will still be poor by then. Fuck, now I have anxiety. 

More like late this year.

On 2/24/2019 at 7:03 AM, jengd said:

Jason Freese too! 

Archived