Billie Joe confirms he's working on new Green Day songs

dudley dawson

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw this on google. Why isn't this post going crazy yet?

Album 13 is in the making!!!!!

Just now, That Dude said:

Just saw this on google. Why isn't this post going crazy yet?

Album 13 is in the making!!!!!

Probably because everyone assumed that he was since they started rehearsals over the summer and were live streaming from the studio last month. Nice to get it confirmed but it doesn’t really feel like news.  An album could still many many months away.  

• Fuzz changed the title to Billie Joe confirms he's working on new Green Day songs
9 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Probably because everyone assumed that he was since they started rehearsals over the summer and were live streaming from the studio last month. Nice to get it confirmed but it doesn’t really feel like news.  An album could still many many months away.  

Yeah like, it is nice to see him say it but I pretty much assume he's working on writing songs for Green Day in some way or another most of the time anyway and especially when we know they've been rehearsing and the in the studio :P

But since this is the newest info we have about it and it is being reported in the media, and we do usually have a thread for talking about whatever potential new album is next/what the band will do next, I guess this can be the new one.

3 hours ago, Alan86 said:

With Tre having a baby on the way I can’t see anything happening soon. Hope I’m wrong.

I'm afraid you're right. I mean in this situation an album could be possible, but not a tour. And it's sensless to release an album, when you can't touring.

I, like lots of you, assume he’s kind of always working on GD stuff, we know he never really stops.  If he’s just starting writing, a new album could still be a long way off but it’s still good to know it’s going to happen.  I have seen quite a lot of media comment, from the usual sources, about his comment.

Do you think there's any possibility that Green Day are working in another concept album? For me AI and 21CB are the best albums of the modern Green Day.

4 hours ago, JellyTime said:

I'm afraid you're right. I mean in this situation an album could be possible, but not a tour. And it's sensless to release an album, when you can't touring.

Depends how long Tre wants to leave the baby, the albums got to be at least a year away?

Sure Billie probably is always writing, but with an announcement like this it is probably more on the level of "okay, let's get Album 13 going now" instead of sitting around writing songs for the heck of it.   This one isn't cryptic or anything like some of his posts. 

The other thing everyone is talking about it Tre having another child.  When is the due date? I know he's in a rock band and could take the rest of his life off if he chose to, but the new standard for staying home with a baby for us working folks is six weeks.   So whenever the baby is born, then another six weeks or so and then bam, back in business!  I can't find a due date (I'm sure you guys can fill me in) but It's got to be soon.   

ANYWAY.  It's time for my favorite GDA activity:  Discussing / Arguing / Screaming and Yelling at each other about what the new album will sound like!  And for you all to marvel at my ability to accurately guess about 2% of what will be on said album.   

Did The Longshot serve to purge that style from Billie's reservoir, or fuel his fire for that type of music?

Will they continue with the sound of Rev Rad or continue shifting sounds which has worked beautifully with each era so far?

What color will the album cover be?  Green?  

How many songs has he written, and how many are being considered for the album? 

AND!   Because I've done it and we've all done it during the last FIVE albums, I'm not going to talk about which previous album this one should sound like.  I no longer want an album that is 70% Idiot, 15% Warning and 15% Nimrod.    I want whatever the three (or four) of them come up with.  

One thing I will KEEP blathering about is Mike and Tre songs.  Just one.  Just one. 

Anyway.   The Rev Rad Era was so short and sweet, a total course correction from 'past errors' (I'm not going into THAT this time around either).   I believe the next album will march onward and upward in their journey, and show that even after 3 decades, there simply are none greater than Billie, Mike and Tre....and sometimes Jason.  

I was happy to see the confirmation but like else had already said I assumed that's what he was doing anyway so its not something for me to go crazy over. Plus, hearing about a band in a studio never gets me excited. I only get excited when we get album details. 

2 hours ago, kaylubd said:

Plus, hearing about a band in a studio never gets me excited. I only get excited when we get album details. 

This for me... like people will post “they’re at Otis/Jingletown/a new studio they own” it’s like who cares they own it so they can do whatever they want to doesn’t mean it’s on a album but if I see a report saying Green Day is recording at Ocean Way I’d be like oh they’re working a new album since they went to a studio where they gotta pay 500-1000/hr to use gets me a bit excited cause they’re deft not gonna use Ocean Way for demos 

9 hours ago, Joe. said:

Depends how long Tre wants to leave the baby, the albums got to be at least a year away?

The dogs come to the studio - no stopping baby cool 😉

Cool news! Excited, Rev Rad is a killer album and has only grown on me more and more since it dropped. Hoping for a release this time next year.

I understand not touring when Tre's baby is an infant, but there's really nothing stopping him from recording during the process unless he really just wants to mentally focus only on the child. I'm excited at a possible album coming, but I'd never want that to stop him from being a good dad.

1 hour ago, The Insider said:

The dogs come to the studio - no stopping baby cool 😉

Meant on tour. Laurie from Slaves toured pretty quick after his son was born.

Obviously they can still record

Other babies didn't stop them from recording and touring so there's no reason to assume this one will :) (daiim the passive aggressive smiley can make everything sound like an insult hahaha)

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

Other babies didn't stop them from recording and touring so there's no reason to assume this one will :) (daiim the passive aggressive smiley can make everything sound like an insult hahaha)

He's got a kid in New York.  He's got a kid in the bay.  He's got kids galore and another on the way! 

3 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Other babies didn't stop them from recording and touring so there's no reason to assume this one will :)

Listen - I know😙

Recording is the closest thing they have to a 9-5 job so it would actually be easy to continue working following a short break after the baby’s born. Dad’s typically take a few weeks and then go back to work all the time and he’d be home every night.  Touring is harder but by the time the album comes out and they really start traveling it could be a year and baby can travel along by then. 

Archived