Billie Joe confirms he's working on new Green Day songs

dudley dawson

58 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Me too but I feel like he'd consider them beneath him somehow lol. The only time I've heard him mention them is in a disparaging way as an example of bands that play the same setlist and say the same things each night on tour when talking about how he'd never want to do that. Like, he'd work with either an up and coming band or bands he considers more on or above his level. Plus there could be an issue with the Tim Armstrong/Brody Dalle thing :P

True. Would be nice to hear the boys pushed out of their comfort zone in that direction though 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Ugh he's not wrong though

They also put on a more spectacular show and connect with the crowd more though, there's positives and negatives to playing a planned out show vs just playing random songs. He was like "and the next night he started saying the same things to the crowd again.....:ermm:" and like "if that works for you ok I guess but I could never do that" lol. But yeah I can't really be mad at him when it's accurate :P

2 minutes ago, Joe. said:

True. Would be nice to hear the boys pushed out of their comfort zone in that direction though 

Oh yeah the music could be great! Just don't know if personalities could allow it

12 minutes ago, Hermione said:

They also put on a more spectacular show and connect with the crowd more though, there's positives and negatives to playing a planned out show vs just playing random songs. He was like "and the next night he started saying the same things to the crowd again.....:ermm:" and like "if that works for you ok I guess but I could never do that" lol. But yeah I can't really be mad at him when it's accurate :P

Yes of course, the way they connect with the crowd is amazing and it's something special they do, but they still could do that and play a bit more varied setlists. I don't mean it in a bad way but maybe they could benefit from hearing that opinion from a producer too. :PSeems it's way out of their comfort zone but having someone to bring up ideas they wouldn't come up with themselves is the whole point of having a producer so why not.

Bu yeah, absolutely. It's unlikely this would happen.

I had brought a friend to a show early in the RevRad tour. He loved it and asked to go again later in the tour. I turned him down because I was embarrassed that he'd see the same exact show and scripted banter twice.

14 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Ugh he's not wrong though

ha - that reminds me on our recent road trip I vowed I would not play a GD song & Hey Jude came on the playlist & I thought  - oh well close enough😮

The "Heeeeeeey Oohhhh"s on the RevRad tour were waaaaaay too much. Way, way too much.

1 hour ago, PleasedToMeetMe said:

The "Heeeeeeey Oohhhh"s on the RevRad tour were waaaaaay too much. Way, way too much.

Absolutely agree. It shouldn't be allowed more than once a show :)

I never think the hey ohs are too much at shows, I enjoy them. They were extra fun because of the extra happy vibe of the tour last time, didn't notice there being any more of them than usual though.

I also think the amount of hey ohs on the last tour was the same as usual :P I'm a bit torn if it's too much or not, but it's such an integral part of a Green Day show that I wouldn't want it gone. 

I'm not the right person to compare but looking at videos from 21cb tour it seems he's cut down on them a bit. I don't really mind the hey ohs. The peace and love banter is a bit boring though.

13 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I'm not the right person to compare but looking at videos from 21cb tour it seems he's cut down on them a bit. I don't really mind the hey ohs. The peace and love banter is a bit boring though.

Yeah they cut back on some of the KFAD/Shout stuff on the last tour as well, there was still a lot of audience call and response etc but I think there's been more. The peace and love stuff can be a bit much for me but I still get caught up in it at shows (more than I would watching a video), and even when it's a bit much I'm just amused by it :P. Basically once they're in front of me on stage I'm a sucker for anything lol, I'm constantly either totally into the music or laughing at something so the way they do shows works for me.

22 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Yeah they cut back on some of the KFAD/Shout stuff on the last tour as well, there was still a lot of audience call and response etc but I think there's been more. The peace and love stuff can be a bit much for me but I still get caught up in it at shows (more than I would watching a video), and even when it's a bit much I'm just amused by it :P. Basically once they're in front of me on stage I'm a sucker for anything lol, I'm constantly either totally into the music or laughing at something so the way they do shows works for me.

Yeah I can't say it bothers me too much because I'm at a show to enjoy it not to nitpick. :P And I'm generally too happy to be bothered by anything lol. The banter is when I'm like "oh no please he's back on his bullshit AGAIN" but that's also a part of the show and something to laugh about because feeling second hand embarrassed is pretty much a part of the experience of being a gd fan. :lol:

19 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Yeah I can't say it bothers me too much because I'm at a show to enjoy it not to nitpick. :P And I'm generally too happy to be bothered by anything lol. The banter is when I'm like "oh no please he's back on his bullshit AGAIN" but that's also a part of the show and something to laugh about because feeling second hand embarrassed is pretty much a part of the experience of being a gd fan. :lol:

Exactly :lol:. My sister and I find the same things about them funny so we look at each other and laugh multiple times during the show. Being silly and embarrassing is part of what makes them them. Idk I love all the goofy crowd stuff and seeing Billie get passionate about stuff as much as anything else in the show.

There were definitely a lot less hey-ohs on the RevRad and 99 Revolutions tours than there were previously. I'm pretty sure that's partially responsible for the shorter sets :P But I enjoy them especially now they're less frequent and I wouldn't want them to be cut down more.

I don't usually mind the speeches either. In fact I generally just get wrapped up in them like Billie :lol: They did start to feel very forced by the end of the summer tour, but that was probably because I'd been to more than one show and it might not have felt that way to someone seeing them for the first time.

15 hours ago, PleasedToMeetMe said:

To be honest - I thought he had toned it done.

15 hours ago, PleasedToMeetMe said:

i feel personally attacked being in love with the hey ohs :lol: 

I hope Billie focuses more on lyrics this album. Their lyrics from Dookie to AI were so clever, powerful, and unique. I think they tried to get too complex on 21CB and lost that tongue-in-cheek vibe, and the trilogy and RevRad were just average lyrically (aside from maybe Bang Bang). LIFL seemed to go back in the direction of simple but clever lyrics, so I'm hoping that continues on the next album.

Just looking back at the RevRad timeframe, I notice the album came out in the fall, but they were teasing it as early as January. There were monthly pics from Otis and the hashtag RevRad being used Jan, Feb, Mar and April and then August they announced the first single.  I didn’t realize the album title was teased that early.  Not sure if that gives us an idea of what to expect if we’re gonna see another Fall release but they’ve been a lot of quieter this time around. It’s already mid-February and while they are obviously working on something they are not ready to tease about it. 

On 2/10/2019 at 4:13 PM, Joe. said:

I’d love them to work with Josh Homme but don’t think it will happen 

Eeew, gross!  I'd vote him "the least likable guy in rock music".  

Don't like 'em at all.  If I had to pick a producer, Rob or Rick Rubin.  

31 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Just looking back at the RevRad timeframe, I notice the album came out in the fall, but they were teasing it as early as January. There were monthly pics from Otis and the hashtag RevRad being used Jan, Feb, Mar and April and then August they announced the first single.  I didn’t realize the album title was teased that early.  Not sure if that gives us an idea of what to expect if we’re gonna see another Fall release but they’ve been a lot of quieter this time around. It’s already mid-February and while they are obviously working on something they are not ready to tease about it. 

I'd say its time for a GD has hit the studio thread - where is our google street view stalker:ninja:

On 2/11/2019 at 9:50 AM, DookieLukie said:

I had brought a friend to a show early in the RevRad tour. He loved it and asked to go again later in the tour. I turned him down because I was embarrassed that he'd see the same exact show and scripted banter twice.

Yeah, I consider a Green Day show like a firey flame. 🔥 — It always looks the same but it’s always different.  

I only made it to one Revrad show 😭😭 but from watching footage it looked to me like the fans sometimes started the ehh oohs rather than Billie, I think there’d be a riot if he stopped it! 😀

11 hours ago, That Dude said:

Eeew, gross!  I'd vote him "the least likable guy in rock music".  

Don't like 'em at all.  If I had to pick a producer, Rob or Rick Rubin.  

Eh that’s fair enough. Would still be a very interesting collab, listening to Arctic Monkey’s ‘Humbug’ shows what josh can do for a band

9 hours ago, jengd said:

I only made it to one Revrad show 😭😭 but from watching footage it looked to me like the fans sometimes started the ehh oohs rather than Billie, I think there’d be a riot if he stopped it! 😀

Reminds me of at FBHT (where the Rev hadn't even been doing hey ohs) when they went off stage and still everyone in the crowd called them back for the encore by going "heeeey ohhh, heeeey ohhh" :lol:. It would be very sad if he stopped

My hope for when they tour the next album is that they use more of the songs from it. Say Goodbye, Outlaws and Bouncing Off the Walls didn't deserve to not be played at all, while Somewhere Now, Too Dumb to Die and Troubled Times were only played a handful of times. 

On a different note, I'm thinking about what studio they will use. Will they stick with Otis? 

Archived