Billie Joe confirms he's working on new Green Day songs

dudley dawson

The album will have a Weezer-like self titled cover (Billie, Mike, Tre and Jason standing like the Blue album).  

Every song will be slow and mostly acoustic, like "When It's TIme".   

Well, the 10 songs with song titles anyway.  Tracks 11-20 are secret tracks hidden within the album and it is a super fast slap in your face/riot-inducing pulse pounder from hell.  Like the album, the songs will be untitled as well, or self-titled.  We will come to know each song by colors:  Black Day.  Red Day.  Yellow Day.....you get the point.  

It's going to be a weird ride, but oh so good!  

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id love to swe them put out another album that was as sucessfull as American Idiot. That would be awesome to see them get that kind of hype again and id love to see them win another grammy

What would be really cool is if the band planned ahead and recorded an American Idiot sequel during the original writing/recording sessions - that way the album would have the exact same creative energy as the original but be accepted by average listeners as relevant just because it's new. They could have kept it secret, waiting about 15 years (or until the world needs it) to release it. 75% of the album would have been recorded in 2004 and 25% would have been left unfinished so there's room to make it relevant in 2019. Would be an epic moment in Green Day history. 

1 hour ago, BraedonHorbacio said:

What would be really cool is if the band planned ahead and recorded an American Idiot sequel during the original writing/recording sessions - that way the album would have the exact same creative energy as the original but be accepted by average listeners as relevant just because it's new. They could have kept it secret, waiting about 15 years (or until the world needs it) to release it. 75% of the album would have been recorded in 2004 and 25% would have been left unfinished so there's room to make it relevant in 2019. Would be an epic moment in Green Day history. 

To be honest American Idiot is perfect as is, I really hope they never do a sequel and mess with things. Plus, we pretty much did get a sequel . . 21st Century Breakdown.

Honestly the only thing I would really ask for is better lyrics. Right up to 21st century he was one of the best lyricist in rock history (IMO). while 21st had some great lyrics a lot of them were just vague clichés and that has continued since. 

No, for me it really dropped with the trilogy. I agree with your overall point, but 21CB was still very well written (lyrically), certainly certain songs. In fact, I was listening to Demolicous and 21st Century breakdown recently and while neither come close to pre 21CB work for me personally, I thought that what failed the trilogy the most was the thinned out production and quite simply, the lyrics.

I know it was supposed to be off the cuff, "raw" and so on, but he really should have written better lyrics or simply released it as a side project, because honestly, some of the lyrics are cringe-inducing. And it's especially bad if it is then coupled with the clean, heavily produced sound by Rob Cavallo.

People often say the trilogy was "overproduced". It wasn't really. 21CB and AI are the only albums in Green Day's catalogue that could qualify as being over-produced, but certainly in my opinion, the very heavy production perfectly fitted American Idiot and kinda worked for 21CB too (although that wasn't Rob Cavallo, but Butch Vig). 

No, it was wrongly produced, meaning, the sound didn't fit the overall vibe. There were other smaller problems, but that, in my view, was the main problem. The lyrics sounded shallow and with little thought, but (even though I think it should never been on a Green Day album in the first place) it could have worked, if the sound had matched that specific kind of attitude, as it sort of did on "Demolicious". But they decided to produce it as normal, and worse, to take even more grit/dirt out, by thinning out the guitar sound to oblivion and putting on a ton of vocal filters. Not a good decision and I think they've come to realise it...

8 hours ago, jollyroger said:

while 21st had some great lyrics a lot of them were just vague clichés and that has continued since. 

I think Restless Heart Syndrome and 21 Guns are up there with the best songs he has written.

5 hours ago, aydge89 said:

I think Restless Heart Syndrome and 21 Guns are up there with the best songs he has written.

I was thinking songs more like peacemaker American eulogy and 21st century breakdown. I love everything Billie writes but 21 guns is one of the songs that comes to mind when I think about vague cliché lyrics

7 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

No, for me it really dropped with the trilogy. I agree with your overall point, but 21CB was still very well written (lyrically), certainly certain songs. In fact, I was listening to Demolicous and 21st Century breakdown recently and while neither come close to pre 21CB work for me personally, I thought that what failed the trilogy the most was the thinned out production and quite simply, the lyrics.

I know it was supposed to be off the cuff, "raw" and so on, but he really should have written better lyrics or simply released it as a side project, because honestly, some of the lyrics are cringe-inducing. And it's especially bad if it is then coupled with the clean, heavily produced sound by Rob Cavallo.

People often say the trilogy was "overproduced". It wasn't really. 21CB and AI are the only albums in Green Day's catalogue that could qualify as being over-produced, but certainly in my opinion, the very heavy production perfectly fitted American Idiot and kinda worked for 21CB too (although that wasn't Rob Cavallo, but Butch Vig). 

No, it was wrongly produced, meaning, the sound didn't fit the overall vibe. There were other smaller problems, but that, in my view, was the main problem. The lyrics sounded shallow and with little thought, but (even though I think it should never been on a Green Day album in the first place) it could have worked, if the sound had matched that specific kind of attitude, as it sort of did on "Demolicious". But they decided to produce it as normal, and worse, to take even more grit/dirt out, by thinning out the guitar sound to oblivion and putting on a ton of vocal filters. Not a good decision and I think they've come to realise it...

I agree with everything you said. I think they tried to recapture the hot tubs with the trilogy but I think Billie was too fucked up that time

All that being said I hope their new music is stripped down, personal and fucking heartfelt

I really enjoyed the production of Revolution Radio, I hope they go the same route with the next album.

I hope they sort the sound levels out better on the next one (if the intro to a song is so quiet that I can't hear it when the volume is below deafening level for the rest of the song they've done it wrong, I shouldn't have to change the volume while listening), but overall I like the Rev Rad production too.

4 hours ago, Hermione said:

I hope they sort the sound levels out better on the next one (if the intro to a song is so quiet that I can't hear it when the volume is below deafening level for the rest of the song they've done it wrong, I shouldn't have to change the volume while listening), but overall I like the Rev Rad production too.

This. They like the gimmick of starting a song quietly and then banging in but listen to 21CB and you can hear the low parts and the loud parts wothout adjusting your volume. Can’t do that with RevRad and it happens on SN, BB, Outlaws, like half the album you’re dialing up and down. 

As much as I like the longshot as a Billie solo project I hope he moves towards a more traditional Green Day sound this time. I've always admired how they experiment and grow on each album but I wanna be reminded why I fell in love with them in the first place. 4 chords and the truth as they say.

17 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

This. They like the gimmick of starting a song quietly and then banging in but listen to 21CB and you can hear the low parts and the loud parts wothout adjusting your volume. Can’t do that with RevRad and it happens on SN, BB, Outlaws, like half the album you’re dialing up and down. 

Yeah I think there must be a technique to do it where it gives the illusion that it gets much louder/quieter or softer/more powerful but the actual volume isn't as different as it sounds, like they change other aspects of the sound to create the impression. On Rev Rad it just seems the volume straight up goes way up and way down :P 

I was wondering about next Green Day album and I really, really want to hear something bigger than the last 2, RevRad and Trilogy. 

I liked RevRad, but it is too much comfort zone mode.

A true 'punk' album:

Psycho speed punk screaming about overthrowing the government and recreating the world by building it out of chaos.  The guys take their fashion back to the 70s with crazy Mohawks, anti-swastika armbands - the works!  They wreak havoc everywhere they go:

they play songs like "The Grouch" and "Platypus" when they agreed to play "Good Riddance" or "Still Breathing".    

and they play them well after their set list or portion of the show was supposed to end.  

They give absurd answers in interviews.  

They play a show facing Trumps wall (hypothetical) and have the crowd on the other side.  They sound so good that it's still one of their best concerts.  

THEN.....they play a show from ATOP the wall and using some radical politics of their own, invite people from all over the world to come and party with them for FREE.   

Hmmmm..   

I hope RevRad gave them a boost of confidence to try something different. I agree that RevRad was good but felt a bit too safe for them. Them experimenting with different sounds and genres is what makes them so great imo! 

On 2/8/2019 at 9:51 AM, Hermione said:

This. It’s so basic. This is why I hope they don’t go selfproduced

1 hour ago, Joe. said:

This. It’s so basic. This is why I hope they don’t go selfproduced

Agree. I know they think they have the experience enough to produce their own album by now but it’s not just about knowing what sounds good to you. The best producers have pushed them to be better and provide that outside opinion that maybe they don’t want to hear. They benefit from a producer, simple as that. 

5 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Agree. I know they think they have the experience enough to produce their own album by now but it’s not just about knowing what sounds good to you. The best producers have pushed them to be better and provide that outside opinion that maybe they don’t want to hear. They benefit from a producer, simple as that. 

I’d love them to work with Josh Homme but don’t think it will happen 

11 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Whatever they do they'll do it in ugly Puma sportswear and that's all we'll talk about until 2022. :cry:

s-l640.jpg Can't wait for this merchandise

13 hours ago, Joe. said:

I’d love them to work with Josh Homme but don’t think it will happen 

Me too but I feel like he'd consider them beneath him somehow lol. The only time I've heard him mention them is in a disparaging way as an example of bands that play the same setlist and say the same things each night on tour when talking about how he'd never want to do that. Like, he'd work with either an up and coming band or bands he considers more on or above his level. Plus there could be an issue with the Tim Armstrong/Brody Dalle thing :P

4 minutes ago, Hermione said:

example of bands that play the same setlist and say the same things each night on tour 

Ugh he's not wrong though

Archived