Billie Joe confirms he's working on new Green Day songs

dudley dawson

I agree with a lot that's been said here, especially how so few people seem to have noticed AI has two overtly political songs while Revrad has four but quite a few times people have said about the band marketing their album as political.  Do they though?  I felt in a lot of the interviews etc around release time that there is just an expectation that they will be political and yes, I get the revolution part revrad but I took it to be more of an anti pop vibe and agree with @Goofygoldfish about her interpretation of it.  

I am not really into trying to guess what will be next but I wouldn't be surprised if its their least political album in a long time but more life affirming.  We will be just need to wait and see.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took the revolution to be a personal one, a change from how they were to the more mature people they are now. The revolution from the radio era, hence burning it, and moving on. Lessons learned, with or without regrets, about their past. Some fond memories of childhood and relationships (outlaws, young blood) and others about friendships and life this side of their revolution. 

They got rich, but didn't behave rich. They did become better humans though IMO. They are now well read, I don't belive that to be the case when they were teens, and in the radio era. 

Yet again, I'm struggling to explain how I feel about this, but hope I've given you a hint! 

RevRad is my favorite GD album in part because I feel it's the perfect mixture of personal and political.  It's Billie healing while the world continues to go on around him and his thoughts on that.  And they're not seen as a political band just because of the songs, but also Billie being vocal offstage (and on) as well.  And although AI is what made others see them as a political band, they've been making social commentary since day 1.

I tend to not bother with "what should the band do next" posts because, it's up to the band, not me.  They should do whatever makes them happy, whatever they're feeling at the moment.  That's what's going to lead to good music.  The moment a band tries to do what they think the fans want/what will sell, it cheapens them.  If Billie's feeling political, go for it.  If he still needs a respite from what's happening in the world today, and provide that for others, that's fine too.

Seems to me that the "political" marketing of revrad kind of happened naturally. Obviously they named the album like that but it only became really politically charged when Trump was elected and suddenly everything they talked about in interviews was Trump, Billie started with his wiggered posts on IG (I miss them so much and I will fight the warner executive that took away his phone), they did the AMAs thing and so it happened that the attention switched to the political. It made perfect sense at the time and it would be a mistake not to use the heat of the moment when everyone was SHOOK because of the election. Maybe if Clinton won, the promotion would have focused on the personal aspects of the album more, even though it seems their image as a political band is very strong anyway.

4 hours ago, Second favourite son said:

Yeah.  Billie is notorious for writing albums, not just collections of standalone singles.  If you have someone a song that was recorded for an album but lost, the could very easily tell which album it belonged on becasue they’re that distinctive.

This is my biggest problem with all the Mystique surrounding C&V. When you look at the lyrics for the "title track", it's very obvious that it was written during the same time as a number of the songs on 21CB; he uses similar turns of phrase, like 'red alert' and 'the Great Divide', for example. The idea that it "ain't that brand new" strikes me as incredibly disingenuous.

I agree with RevRads politics being shallow and cliché and that's what I want a lot less of.I feel it was definitely their weakest release other than the trilogy. And people saying AI wasn't that political should really give it another listen he crafted a whole background in those lyrics of the world around him that very much was political. He brought that entire world alive with scenery and its amazing he came close to that in 21st too but some of those lyrics were kind of cliché as well

I don't think the politics in RevRad are shallow and cliche. I could do without the song Revolution Radio as that is more of a vague rallying cry but Bang Bang and Say Goodbye (especially with the lyric video) are pretty hard hitting political tracks, and Troubled Times comes across as expressing heartfelt dismay at the political situation (and the lyric video featuring crying MLK and Trump with KKK hoods for teeth definitely goes hard). I like that politics is included, just don't think it should've been presented as the main focus of the album when most of the songs really are personal rather than political focused (as opposed to AI where it's a story that is specifically set against the political backdrop of the time so the political theme is present throughout even in the personal songs).

I think I just really love how Billie wrote so personally, stripped back to just talking about himself with no characters. It was the most interesting and striking thing about the album to me so I would've preferred for that side of it to be more in the forefront. For the next album I'll be happy whether it's more personal or more political, just hope they go hard with whatever it is and present it well :P 

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

I don't think the politics in RevRad are shallow and cliche. I could do without the song Revolution Radio as that is more of a vague rallying cry but Bang Bang and Say Goodbye (especially with the lyric video) are pretty hard hitting political tracks, and Troubled Times comes across as expressing heartfelt dismay at the political situation (and the lyric video featuring crying MLK and Trump with KKK hoods for teeth definitely goes hard). I like that politics is included, just don't think it should've been presented as the main focus of the album when most of the songs really are personal rather than political focused (as opposed to AI where it's a story that is specifically set against the political backdrop of the time so the political theme is present throughout even in the personal songs).

I think I just really love how Billie wrote so personally, stripped back to just talking about himself with no characters. It was the most interesting and striking thing about the album to me so I would've preferred for that side of it to be more in the forefront. For the next album I'll be happy whether it's more personal or more political, just hope they go hard with whatever it is and present it well :P 

I was talking about revrad the song, I agree Bang Bang and Say Goodbye aren't half assed and the lyric videos for sure aren't either.

Me too, it was definitely a refreshing change. Maybe the way their political songs are presented more isn't just a purely marketing decision but it also might be a result of Billie talking about the political stuff more in interviews than about the personal songs. He usually leaves those withought much explanation while he seems always happy to bring up politics. Even with songs that have characters he tends to focus more on the way they reflect society/tries to find an universal meaning behind them rather than talking about himself or the background they have in his personal life. Ugh what I'm trying to say this clumsily is that the way he writes and presents his lyrics (even those that aren't explicitly political) is political and it's not always possible to separate that meaning from the personal one.

9 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

I was talking about revrad the song, I agree Bang Bang and Say Goodbye aren't half assed and the lyric videos for sure aren't either.

Me too, it was definitely a refreshing change. Maybe the way their political songs are presented more isn't just a purely marketing decision but it also might be a result of Billie talking about the political stuff more in interviews than about the personal songs. He usually leaves those withought much explanation while he seems always happy to bring up politics. Even with songs that have characters he tends to focus more on the way they reflect society/tries to find an universal meaning behind them rather than talking about himself or the background they have in his personal life. Ugh what I'm trying to say this clumsily is that the way he writes and presents his lyrics (even those that aren't explicitly political) is political and it's not always possible to separate that meaning from the personal one.

I'm just nitpicking about the name really haha, you're right. The particular "political 21st century Green Day generally rebelling" brand/aesthetic they have isn't very interesting to me so I like it when they stray from that image but it probably is in large part a natural thing that comes from the way Billie/the band is like you describe rather than only a marketing thing (I'm not saying the direction of the album/songs is a marketing thing at all btw, only talking about how they're presented).

I dislike the idea that Green Day has to choose between a political album or an old-school album. There's plenty of directions they can go in and it's weird that the fan base feels like political is such a good option. Lots of non-political albums have social commentary within them. It's doesn't have to be overt like with the song "American Idiot." Eventually the political songs get stale and seem gimmicky. I'm looking for Green Day to grow as a band with every new record, not just harp on the same issues. Mainly, I'd like to feel some energy from whatever they put out. I felt that special Green Day energy and vitriol with the Longshot record for the first time since probably the Foxboro Hottubs record. 

7 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

There’s plenty of directions they can go in and it's weird that the fan base feels like political is such a good option. Lots of non-political albums have social commentary within them (...) I'd like to feel some energy from whatever they put out. I felt that special Green Day energy and vitriol with the Longshot record for the first time since probably the Foxboro Hottubs record. 

The whole FBHT record and Longshot records felt really good and energetic and real while being innovative for Billie’s songwriting but also a lot fun too. They were like two perfect storms. I hope somehow they can inject that magic into more Green Day.

I agree with with @DookieLukie about non-political albums and social commentary and have said before that I think Billie will almost always write with social issues on his mind and would say that I think a lot of past material is more about relevant social comment than straight up politics, but maybe this is becoming pedantics.

Nimrod was all about relationships and that’s good too because they were really catchy songs. Great songs you want to sing along to can be about anything. 

Here's my predictions for the new album (not that any of my predictions for Rev Rad were right :P)

When it will be released- September/October 2019

Number of songs- 14

Number of words in album title- One

Length of album- 41 minutes

Will there be a 6+ minutes song?- No

Will there be any "political" songs?- 1 or 2

What the album may sound like- Nimrod's little sister

3 minutes ago, RedundantIdiot said:

Here's my predictions for the new album (not that any of my predictions for Rev Rad were right :P)

When it will be released- September/October 2019

Number of songs- 14

Number of words in album title- One

Length of album- 41 minutes

Will there be a 6+ minutes song?- No

Will there be any "political" songs?- 1 or 2

What the album may sound like- Nimrod's little sister

Ooh this is fun! I’ll play...

When will it be released- Sept 19

Number of songs - 15

Number of words in album title - three

Length of album - 50 mins

6+ minute song? - No

Political songs - Yes

Sound like - Nothing we’ve heard yet

Oouh, let me join in! (mostly because I'll get absolutely everything wrong).

There's also my internal conflict between trying to be wishful and my pessimistic...errr... I mean realistic self.

When will it be released- Either late this year (in which case: September/October) or early 2020 

Number of songs - 14

Number of words in album title - 2

Length of album - 52 min. (in any case: longer than RevRad)

6+ minute song? - Yes

Political songs - Yes... there's bound to be

Sound like - I think it will surprise us, in some ways, but I don't see them doing a clean stylistic break, mostly because, let's be honest, I don't think they could really pull that off...

When will it be released- I agree, Sept/Oct.  I hope September so it'll be eligible for the Grammys.

Number of songs - 12

Number of words in album title - 2

Length of album - 56 min

6+ minute song? - Yes

Political songs - Of course

Sound like - RevRad was kind of AI/21CB, The Longshot was kind of Warning/trilogy (to me), so... a mixture of those? (I know, could I be any more vague?)

Okay, here's my predictions

No. of songs - 12
No. of words in title - 1
Length of album: 50 mins
6+ min song?: No
Political songs: Maybe 1, more topical or about specific issue (i.e. Bang Bang) than about politics (i.e. RevRad or Troubled Times)
Sound like: Something new, most comparable to Warning than any of their other albums

But I'd probably prefer they do something unpredictable. Something great that I'm not expecting

And mine.. 

Number of songs - 13 and a bonus/hidden track

Number of words in title - 3

Length of album: 52 mins

6+ min song?: yes

Political songs: not sure, I think only Trump hate, and he doesn't want to give more publicity to Trump, so I'm going with not major political songs. 

Sound like: more rock'n'roll style, yet still unmistakably Green Day. 

3 hours ago, Montclare said:

RevRad was kind of AI/21CB, The Longshot was kind of Warning/trilogy (to me), so... a mixture of those? (I know, could I be any more vague?)

I don't really think either of those things are true. RevRad has a couple of songs that are kinda like AI/21CB with Forever Now and some politics but most of the songs aren't really that like AI or 21CB. And The Longshot doesn't really remind me of Warning at all

Release date: 2 days after I leave the USA

No. of songs - 12
No. of words in title - 4
Length of album: 43 mins
6+ min song?: Yes - they are some of GD's finest
Political songs: Absolutely

Every song to be like Bang Bang

Length of thread from time we know they are recording until release: 169 pages

Release date: October

No. of songs - 13
No. of words in title - 2
Length of album: 60 mins
6+ min song?: Yes - 1 or 2
Political songs: Absolutely

Exciting news! Buzzing for this new content! God knows how long it will actually take for them to be released though lol. Either way new music means a tour!!!!!!

Release - September/October 2019 with a single being july or august
Songs - 12 with maybe a hidden track
Length - 48 Mins.
Sounds like - American Idiot-ish
Political Songs - Its Green Day :P They almost always have at least 1
6+ minute song? - Yes :3

Archived