Billie Joe confirms he's working on new Green Day songs

dudley dawson

19 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

No idea but I’m willing to take some guesses:

1) Not ambitious enough musically (the “we can do better” argument)

2) Too reminiscent of the Trilogy (and Mike in particular seems to not want to go back there musically)

3) Not political or socially conscious enough (in case they feel they have an opportunity to say more in the era of alt-right)

I really hope the first two are bang on. I'd take an album of 8 tracks if they were all fresh and well made. RevRads political conscience left me underwhelmed, for me they didn't really say anything interesting as they have done in 21st and AI, so I'd like them to put it to one side unless it really brings something to the music.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Billie Joe's statements the last few years, I think he's ready to not be so political anymore.  We know where Green Day stands collectively on those issues, and while it was entertaining as heck, I think it's time for a different angle in their promotion and lyrics. 

I've said it before and I'm really trying to stay away from the "what we want from the next album" craziness.  I'm confident in this band.  I'm willing to bet that the next album will be Green Day goodness with just the right amount of experimentation and progress to give me even more of a smile.  

One new thing this time around - Album 13 will be the first record to come out during my sons life and that is really cool.  He's only 7 months but I play him Green Day songs every chance I get.   Right now he seems to really dig the classic rock stuff, but Green Day and Rob Zombie have some really bright videos to keep his attention.  Who knows, maybe he'll be on GDA one day!   He's heard Know Your Enemy, BANG BANG and a few others. 

Us millennials are old.   Time for Gen Alpha to learn how great Rock N Roll is from Billie, Mike and Tre!

1 minute ago, That Dude said:

From Billie Joe's statements the last few years, I think he's ready to not be so political anymore.  We know where Green Day stands collectively on those issues, and while it was entertaining as heck, I think it's time for a different angle in their promotion and lyrics. 

I've said it before and I'm really trying to stay away from the "what we want from the next album" craziness.  I'm confident in this band.  I'm willing to bet that the next album will be Green Day goodness with just the right amount of experimentation and progress to give me even more of a smile.  

One new thing this time around - Album 13 will be the first record to come out during my sons life and that is really cool.  He's only 7 months but I play him Green Day songs every chance I get.   Right now he seems to really dig the classic rock stuff, but Green Day and Rob Zombie have some really bright videos to keep his attention.  Who knows, maybe he'll be on GDA one day!   He's heard Know Your Enemy, BANG BANG and a few others. 

Us millennials are old.   Time for Gen Alpha to learn how great Rock N Roll is from Billie, Mike and Tre!

I agree on the political stance. They have had politics interwoven in their lyrics and songwriting since AI, even a little bit in Warning and before then. It is entertaining and I share a lot of their views so I appreciate them giving us a voice, but right now some distraction from the world of politics would be nice. I'm excited to see what they come up with! 

18 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Personally I think Love is For Losers is better than anything GD has done since 21st with the exception of maybe 3-4 songs 🤷‍♂️ 

I could come up with more than 3-4 songs but yep I agree.

There are several songs on LIFL that I prefer to RevRad songs for sure. I adore 75% of the Trilogy though.

I kinda like Love is For Losers for being not political tbh. I kinda hope they go back to the trilogy way of doing it....meaning having political songs but having most of the album be a variety of stuff, not meaning the sound and style of the trilogy and such :P

I'm torn on politics in GD cause on the one hand it's something Billies very passionate about and American Idiot is 100% more relevant now than it was even when it came out. But on the other hand I care about the band as people and wanna know more about where they're at in their lives than just their views. So its hard for me. Perhaps a good mix but who knows? I trust them.

I'd very much enjoy a political album if the band's politics weren't so mild. I have nothing against choices like supporting Hilary, that's a legitimate choice, but please don't talk to me about revolution.

The thing is if they do politics. It just won't be as good as the politics on AI or 21CB. That's basically a fact.

On 1/9/2019 at 4:12 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

2) Too reminiscent of the Trilogy (and Mike in particular seems to not want to go back there musically)

Did he actually said that? 

38 minutes ago, disappearingfs said:

Dookie? American Idiot? I'm still waitiing for Repise to re-release Cigarettes & Valentines. Eh.

How do you re-release something that’s never been released? 😄

6 minutes ago, ¡Nunes! said:

Did he actually said that? 

Mike made some mention in a print interview over the RevRad tour that he wasn’t ready to revisit “that crazy ex-girlfriend” again, and I’m also basing it on the fact that they dropped all trilogy songs from the RevRad set although on his own and with the Longshot Billie has been remixing, releasing and playing the songs. 

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Mike made some mention in a print interview over the RevRad tour that he wasn’t ready to revisit “that crazy ex-girlfriend” again, and I’m also basing it on the fact that they dropped all trilogy songs from the RevRad set although on his own and with the Longshot Billie has been remixing, releasing and playing the songs. 

If I remember correctly, he said it would be awhile before we're able to visit that ex-girlfriend again.  Not he, and I don't believe he said crazy.

I remember trying to find the article once before when this was brought up, and was unable to, but then later seeing a link to it on reddit.  But reddit sucks for searching, so I still can't find the exact quote.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:18 PM, Joe. said:

RevRads political conscience left me underwhelmed, for me they didn't really say anything interesting as they have done in 21st and AI

Agree, with the exception of Bang Bang which I thought was an interesting and unique take on gun culture.

8 hours ago, jollyroger said:

I'm torn on politics in GD cause on the one hand it's something Billies very passionate about and American Idiot is 100% more relevant now than it was even when it came out. But on the other hand I care about the band as people and wanna know more about where they're at in their lives than just their views. So its hard for me. Perhaps a good mix but who knows? I trust them.

I feel the same way. I love AI, but I also love a lot of the trilogy/LiFL. On the one hand Rev Rad was political so it would be a step in a different direction to write a less political album. On the other hand I don't think there has ever been a more fertile ground for political lyrics than the current state of America. I just want them to go with whatever they're passionate about in 2019 or whenever the album is made.

I think AI struck a great balance - it was deeply personal while also being political and relevant to the times. Rather than just being a "we need to revolt" it was more a introspective look at the disillusionment brought on by the political climate.

3 minutes ago, aydge89 said:

Agree, with the exception of Bang Bang which I thought was an interesting and unique take on gun culture.

I feel the same way. I love AI, but I also love a lot of the trilogy/LiFL. On the one hand Rev Rad was political so it would be a step in a different direction to write a less political album. On the other hand I don't think there has ever been a more fertile ground for political lyrics than the currents state of America. I just want them to go with whatever they're passionate about in 2019 or whenever the album is made.

I think AI struck a great balance - it was deeply personal while also being political and relevant to the times.

I agree. I don't think it's fair to ever expect a balance like AI again. But I do see how good of material the political world is providing for music. Whatever they decide to go with, I think it will be good. (just more Mike please ❤️

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

How do you re-release something that’s never been released? 😄

I know, it was a joke :P

otis provides the perfect atmosphere they need for that raw punk sounding concept album he said he'd like to do eventually.

I'd be down for another one of those😎

I also prefer that if they write about politics it should be go hard or don't bother, songs that have hard hitting lyrics and talk about things in a specific way > vague rallying cry songs. And I also enjoy personal lyrics as well as political (acknowledging that some can be both). I think that's pretty much what we got with RevRad though, very personal lyrics and also some political lyrics, some of which went quite hard.

But I do dislike how their albums seemingly HAVE to always be marketed as if they're totally political even when they're really mostly personal, calling an album like that Revolution Radio when something like Somewhere Now would describe the main themes of it better for example. Or calling the tour for Uno Dos Tre, albums about partying and relationships that have one political song between them, "99 Revolutions". It's their brand now I guess but it's a bit boring. I think if they write a mostly personal album it should be presented as such, and if they want to present an album as political it should definitely have lots of political songs that go hard. There's nothing wrong with a personal album that also touches on politics but when that's presented as being more political than it is it makes the political parts look wishy washy.

6 minutes ago, Hermione said:

calling an album like that Revolution Radio

I always interpreted this title differently, that it was a throwback to the era of radio, when we got most of our new songs and means of recording from the radio. When, if you wanted to own an original copy, you walked to a shop and bought a tape or record. Maybe I was led to this also by the imagery they chose for rev rad. So, to me, the fact a lot of rev rad spoke about their friendships and the past, fitted perfectly. 

41 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I also prefer that if they write about politics it should be go hard or don't bother, songs that have hard hitting lyrics and talk about things in a specific way > vague rallying cry songs. And I also enjoy personal lyrics as well as political (acknowledging that some can be both). I think that's pretty much what we got with RevRad though, very personal lyrics and also some political lyrics, some of which went quite hard.

But I do dislike how their albums seemingly HAVE to always be marketed as if they're totally political even when they're really mostly personal, calling an album like that Revolution Radio when something like Somewhere Now would describe the main themes of it better for example. Or calling the tour for Uno Dos Tre, albums about partying and relationships that have one political song between them, "99 Revolutions". It's their brand now I guess but it's a bit boring. I think if they write a mostly personal album it should be presented as such, and if they want to present an album as political it should definitely have lots of political songs that go hard. There's nothing wrong with a personal album that also touches on politics but when that's presented as being more political than it is it makes the political parts look wishy washy.

Agreed. It would make a lot more sense to tune down the image of a political band when they're not doing anything that mainly focuses on politics at the time. Maybe they were playing it safe with revrad after the non-political promotion of the trilogy didn't work out.

I agree it makes the political parts look wishy washy, but the vague lyrics don't help either. Say Goodbye was good but the other political song - revrad - just doesn't do it for me. It's just a pile of "revolutionary" clichés and at the same time it's too vague to convey any real message. It's not really political, it's just too shallow and therefore sounds fake. 

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

Agreed. It would make a lot more sense to tune down the image of a political band when they're not doing anything that mainly focuses on politics at the time. Maybe they were playing it safe with revrad after the non-political promotion of the trilogy didn't work out.

I agree it makes the political parts look wishy washy, but the vague lyrics don't help either. Say Goodbye was good but the other political song - revrad - just doesn't do it for me. It's just a pile of "revolutionary" clichés and at the same time it's too vague to convey any real message. It's not really political, it's just too shallow and therefore sounds fake. 

I agree. I feel like they need to break the political mold. Whether that means going absolutely ham with some hard-hitting, specific political lyrics or going entirely personal, I think it's time they branch out. I think if they went with something more personal like they did with Nimrod that it would be a refreshing break from the political reality. 

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

American Idiot wasn't that political either honestly though. Out of the 15 songs on that album, American Idiot and Holiday were the only ones that were political. Sure, you could interpret other songs to be political or topical i.e. WMUWSE but those were the only 2 explicitly political songs on the album to me. RevRad has 4 explicitly political songs (RevRad, Bang Bang, Troubled Times, Say Goodbye) so is arguably more political than AI.

The term 'Revolution Radio' comes up multiple times on the album though. There's the song called Revolution Radio of course which is definitely the most political use of the term. Then there's Forever Now where Billie says "I want to start a revolution. I want to hear it on my radio" and then on Bouncing Off The Wall there's the lyric "A radio, covered in gasoline". He then says later in that song "The radio, my little exorcist".

The title track seems to be political while the mention of the radio in Forever Now indicates a kind of personal revolution and the mention in Bouncing Off The Wall seems to me to be about a musical revolution. So the term Revolution Radio isn't a solely "political" term

They do tend to market their albums politically when politics is only a small part of it which kind of bugs me but I don't think it's a big deal. If that's what gets more people to tune in, that's fine with me

On 1/9/2019 at 2:15 PM, DeJennsitized said:

I personally don't think it's much of an indication. It's a song they put on the Greatest Hits album, but when it comes to starting an album I think they'd have a specific direction the songs would go in. Might be like Back in the USA, but equally not. 

Yeah.  Billie is notorious for writing albums, not just collections of standalone singles.  If you have someone a song that was recorded for an album but lost, the could very easily tell which album it belonged on becasue they’re that distinctive.

2 hours ago, Goofygoldfish said:

I always interpreted this title differently, that it was a throwback to the era of radio, when we got most of our new songs and means of recording from the radio. When, if you wanted to own an original copy, you walked to a shop and bought a tape or record. Maybe I was led to this also by the imagery they chose for rev rad. So, to me, the fact a lot of rev rad spoke about their friendships and the past, fitted perfectly. 

I like this interpretation of it, it does fit with some of the imagery they used. The "Radio" part is good but the "Revolution" not so much :P. Even if there's meaning to it the main thing that bothers me is that it sounds like a very generic Green Day title. The album has some of the most personal lyrics so it just would've been more interesting to me if they'd thrown a curve ball and not had a political looking title/cover and marketed it as a more personal album instead of exactly the title and cover you'd expect from 21st century Green Day like AI/21st CB part 3.

17 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

American Idiot wasn't that political either honestly though. Out of the 15 songs on that album, American Idiot and Holiday were the only ones that were political. Sure, you could interpret other songs to be political or topical i.e. WMUWSE but those were the only 2 explicitly political songs on the album to me. RevRad has 4 explicitly political songs (RevRad, Bang Bang, Troubled Times, Say Goodbye) so is arguably more political than AI.

The term 'Revolution Radio' comes up multiple times on the album though. There's the song called Revolution Radio of course which is definitely the most political use of the term. Then there's Forever Now where Billie says "I want to start a revolution. I want to hear it on my radio" and then on Bouncing Off The Wall there's the lyric "A radio, covered in gasoline". He then says later in that song "The radio, my little exorcist".

The title track seems to be political while the mention of the radio in Forever Now indicates a kind of personal revolution and the mention in Bouncing Off The Wall seems to me to be about a musical revolution. So the term Revolution Radio isn't a solely "political" term

They do tend to market their albums politically when politics is only a small part of it which kind of bugs me but I don't think it's a big deal. If that's what gets more people to tune in, that's fine with me

True but AI still feels more politically driven. Even the personal songs are in the context of a character living in the messed up political climate, on RevRad not so much (the political songs seem more separate from the rest).

And the idea of it also being about a personal revolution etc is awesome, I'm going to think of it that way now lol. But even if they meant it that way or it can be interpreted that way it doesn't really come off that way. A Green Day album called Revolution Radio with a burning radio comes off as business as usual political Green Day with nothing new or interesting about it, and it just bothers me a bit for them to be marketed in an uninteresting way. I agree it doesn't matter that much but I hope the next album is presented in a creative/new/interesting way and for what it is.

I think Warning is a better album name of an album that had social commentary but wasn't full of political overtones than Revolution Radio was. The name Revolution Radio seems like they were trying to come up with an album name in the vein of American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown but wasn't as good

Archived