Billie Joe confirms he's working on new Green Day songs

dudley dawson

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Back in the USA is a good indication of where their next album is headed. it sounded like a blend of the longshot and green days classic sound and I loved that song from the first time I heard it even though the lyrics are a little iffy. Any thoughts?

4 minutes ago, jollyroger said:

I think Back in the USA is a good indication of where their next album is headed. it sounded like a blend of the longshot and green days classic sound and I loved that song from the first time I heard it even though the lyrics are a little iffy. Any thoughts?

Yeah I'd imagine it'll be somewhere in that vein. They're hardly going to reinvent the wheel with whatever comes out in the future

5 minutes ago, jollyroger said:

I personally don't think it's much of an indication. It's a song they put on the Greatest Hits album, but when it comes to starting an album I think they'd have a specific direction the songs would go in. Might be like Back in the USA, but equally not. 

3 minutes ago, DeJennsitized said:

I personally don't think it's much of an indication. It's a song they put on the Greatest Hits album, but when it comes to starting an album I think they'd have a specific direction the songs would go in. Might be like Back in the USA, but equally not. 

I agree. The fact that they didn’t keep it for the album but tossed it out may show that they don’t want to move forward with that sound next.  Billie was writing Longshot songs at the same time so it was more of an indication of The Longshot which appears to have been rejected for Green Day’s next thing.  That means the next album could be very different.

18 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I agree. The fact that they didn’t keep it for the album but tossed it out may show that they don’t want to move forward with that sound next.  Billie was writing Longshot songs at the same time so it was more of an indication of The Longshot which appears to have been rejected for Green Day’s next thing.  That means the next album could be very different.

I hope so. BITUSA isn’t bad, but to me it’s generic-sounding and not inspired. I have to admit, if the Longshot sound was rejected by Tre and Mike for the next album, I’m in total agreement with them. Fun but forgettable. 

I think it sounds like a generic Green Day b side (not bad as they have good b sides but nothing spectacular either). It's the basic Green Day sound with not much else going on so I don't think it indicates much about their next direction either.

41 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

BIUTSA sounds like trilogy era music.

Demolicious actually was amazing, Carpe Diem especially slaps. Dunno much about music but I dont think it sounded a lot like the trilogy itself though :confused: I remember people saying it sounded "typically Green Day" but I'm not really sure where to sort it in era-wise...

1 hour ago, Clockwise said:

Why do we think The Longshot was rejected Green Day material???

No idea but I’m willing to take some guesses:

1) Not ambitious enough musically (the “we can do better” argument)

2) Too reminiscent of the Trilogy (and Mike in particular seems to not want to go back there musically)

3) Not political or socially conscious enough (in case they feel they have an opportunity to say more in the era of alt-right)

1 hour ago, Clockwise said:

Why do we think The Longshot was rejected Green Day material???

Because Billie Joe wrote them and they're not Green Day songs, I guess

1 hour ago, Billie Hoe said:

Demolicious actually was amazing, Carpe Diem especially slaps. Dunno much about music but I dont think it sounded a lot like the trilogy itself though :confused: I remember people saying it sounded "typically Green Day" but I'm not really sure where to sort it in era-wise...

I don't mean it as critisism! But I think BIUTSA has a sound that would fit on the trilogy both with the music and the vocal reverb.

4 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

BIUTSA sounds like trilogy era music.

I would have to agree. Not trying to insult the Trilogy, but I think the trill was the weakest point of GD's music. 

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

I don't mean it as critisism! But I think BIUTSA has a sound that would fit on the trilogy both with the music and the vocal reverb.

Oh, I didn't think you did :P it's just that to me it doesn't really have a trilogy feel, but that might be different for you. I know the trilogy can be good :happy:

9 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

Oh, I didn't think you did :P it's just that to me it doesn't really have a trilogy feel, but that might be different for you. I know the trilogy can be good :happy:

I don't know, I admit it's probably a vague resemblance. :P I could imagine it on Uno or Tre.

8 hours ago, DeJennsitized said:

I like the song but to me it sounds like a song BJ's wrote one morning over coffee because they needed a new song to hype the album.

2 hours ago, Alan86 said:

The one thing that BITUSA did have was, the best Green Day music video in years.

& I  love this line:- Like dogs that shit on your neighbor's lawn

6 hours ago, Alan86 said:

The one thing that BITUSA did have was, the best Green Day music video in years.

Couldn't agree more, their last music videos haven't blown me away that much

Do you think if Love is for Losers was a Green Day album people would like it less?

24 minutes ago, XPursuitOfEpicnessX said:

Couldn't agree more, their last music videos haven't blown me away that much

Yeah, same. The RR music videos weren't the best, i do kinda wish we got the Forever Now one though 😕

I think BITUSA is an okay song, but nothing great or special, so agree with what most people have said.

23 minutes ago, Jirachi said:

Do you think if Love is for Losers was a Green Day album people would like it less?

Yes, there is a very high standard for GD. Also a lot of the songs are very similar and it would bother people on a GD album, i know it would me.

Personally I think Love is For Losers is better than anything GD has done since 21st with the exception of maybe 3-4 songs 🤷‍♂️ 

9 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Personally I think Love is For Losers is better than anything GD has done since 21st with the exception of maybe 3-4 songs 🤷‍♂️ 

i'm totally agree, i love that album and also the three EP ( and of course i know there are bunch of cover there but...damn...to me they sounds amazing anyway )

Archived