Billie Joe confirms he's working on new Green Day songs

dudley dawson

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though BJ is always writing he knows the power of social media & I doubt he would post this if he didn't want it let out.  Reminds me of the time that guy from here bumped into him near Otis & confirmed they were in fact in the studio - media & GDC went into meltdown #goodtimes

I still feel like from a marketing perspective, 2019 could be used as a year full of special additions and re-releases, due to the three-way anniversary of their most high-profile albums (Dookie, AI, 21CB). And then, possibly towards the end of the year, but in my opinion more likely in 2020, they could release their new album and go on tour. That theory would however contradict what Billie said with how soon he wished to do another album, but yeah...

Since I would quite like them to do another concept album, or at least record a more high-profile album, that is to say with more producers and in a better equipped studio, I don't mind if it takes its time...

11 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

I still feel like from a marketing perspective, 2019 could be used as a year full of special additions and re-releases, due to the three-way anniversary of their most high-profile albums (Dookie, AI, 21CB).

Marketing/anniversary - you don't know GD at all😬😅

They’ve skipped over the 20th Anniversary and 10th Anniversary releases 

I have a hunch they feel those type of releases should be held off for later date like maybe they see doing those type releases as a end of career thing 

Question i have is how long does a process of writing songs last? I mean he still has to do demos, mixing and other stuff that has to be done. Just because he has said that he's writing doesn't actually give us a clue. Trilogy was written in 2009-10 and released in 2011 so still seems like we'll get an album in 2020 

56 minutes ago, Jinxs said:

Question i have is how long does a process of writing songs last? I mean he still has to do demos, mixing and other stuff that has to be done. Just because he has said that he's writing doesn't actually give us a clue. Trilogy was written in 2009-10 and released in 2011 so still seems like we'll get an album in 2020 

There’s no one answer for that it all depends on the artists 

4 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

There’s no one answer for that it all depends on the artists 

And even each artist can vary from album to album. Green Day started writing for/working on 21st CB in January 2006, and other times they gone from starting writing to an album coming out in a few months, so it's anyone's guess. But you can look at the average kind of time between albums to get a rough guess.

6 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

They’ve skipped over the 20th Anniversary and 10th Anniversary releases 

I have a hunch they feel those type of releases should be held off for later date like maybe they see doing those type releases as a end of career thing 

Isn’t a lot of that the record label’s decision too? Like if the label wanted to make a little money off a band’s catalog they have the right to repackage a past album as an anniversary edition and the band can have little to do with it. I see this as more of a marketing decision than a creative one.  It can still happen while the band is focused on the next album (unless they wanted to do a special tour or something which I can’t see happening if they’re fired up over something new).

7 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Isn’t a lot of that the record label’s decision too? Like if the label wanted to make a little money off a band’s catalog they have the right to repackage a past album as an anniversary edition and the band can have little to do with it. I see this as more of a marketing decision than a creative one.  It can still happen while the band is focused on the next album (unless they wanted to do a special tour or something which I can’t see happening if they’re fired up over something new).

Yes, I think God's Fave Band was that kind of thing with the band barely acknowleding it at all. However, I doubt a band their size gets no say at all. I don't think they'd be happy if the label decided to milk the old stuff BIGLY, withought asking them first, considering they seem to always make sure they don't look like the band that dwells on past.

7 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Labels can as Warner does own the recordings however doing so without the bands involvement can be tricky as it could lead to issues between bands and the label and  Warner has a good relationship with GD plus GD owns their name so depending how their contracts with Warner is Warner may have to get approval on using the name plus having band involvement can make better sets as bands may have certain demos that the label doesn’t have like home demos etc while Warner has done some deluxe editions without band involvement and while I don’t know any of the new people they usually like to have involvement with the bands while doing so

Im sure GD wouldn't have much issue with Warner re-releasing Dookie/AI/21CB with maybe AI/21CB's b sides and dookie's demos or something for a re-release. Doesn't hurt to release it for an anniversary and doesn't take much effort to throw together dookie with some demos or 21CB with the B-Sides/Bonus tracks and such.

1 hour ago, Jirachi said:

Im sure GD wouldn't have much issue with Warner re-releasing Dookie/AI/21CB with maybe AI/21CB's b sides and dookie's demos or something for a re-release. Doesn't hurt to release it for an anniversary and doesn't take much effort to throw together dookie with some demos or 21CB with the B-Sides/Bonus tracks and such.

I don't think they'll do anything for 21CB tbh, unfortunately. If they do something for album anniversaries, it'll probably be based on American Idiot and/or Dookie

All I know is, we can confirm that the blond hair does not lie. If Billie goes blond, he's working on GD content. He wasn't just teasing us. :lol:

On 12/16/2018 at 1:20 AM, Green Day In Seattle said:

All I know is, we can confirm that the blond hair does not lie. If Billie goes blond, he's working on GD content. He wasn't just teasing us. :lol:

And then it goes black afterward, right?  We haven't had a blonde-Billie music video have we? 

30 minutes ago, That Dude said:

And then it goes black afterward, right?  We haven't had a blonde-Billie music video have we? 

Unless you count the ones in the nineties like Walking Contradiction. 

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Or if you include the blond tufts in 21CB.  :lol:  Yeah, Warning is the last blond one.

Of course, the Rev was blond in SD&R and Mother Mary.

11 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Oh yeah!  And 21st Century Breakdown.  Anyone know any more?  

• 2 weeks later...

We need some speculative album and song titles, jeeeesh.  

Album - There are no Rules

Songs: 

The Break Away

Flash Mob Love

The Red Lights Flash

One Chill Night 

You're F***ing Breaking 

Nazi Punx F*** Off (cover)

A Little Love Song 

Breaking every Rule

Riot / Idiot 

Bombshells and Stormdoor Sheila

The Last Ballad

Ruse of the Rubes (re-recorded from.....what was that fake album tracklist floating around for a while?  Had a stupid name??)) 

anybody want to place money on titles?  I get paid for each word I get right! Haha.

1 minute ago, That Dude said:

what was that fake album tracklist floating around for a while?  Had a stupid name??)) 

Cigarettes and Valentines? :P

1 minute ago, Second favourite son said:

Cigarettes and Valentines? :P

No, there another fake album title with songs like Ruse of the Rubes and a whole bunch weird song titles.......it was before 21st Century Breakdown came out if that helps.  I'm looking into it.

6 minutes ago, That Dude said:

No, there another fake album title with songs like Ruse of the Rubes and a whole bunch weird song titles.......it was before 21st Century Breakdown came out if that helps.  I'm looking into it.

You mean coffee and repent?

1 minute ago, That Dude said:

FOUND IT!    Hillside Dance was rumored to be a 2008-2009 album coming out by Green Day, with some lovely songs like:

Ruse of the Rubes, Rebel Radio (interesting!), Death of a Nation, Resurrection, Living dead, Western Fury, Fused, Smile and Wave, Letterbomb (remake) and some others I can't locate at the moment.  Not sure where those names came from, but they still sound cool as heck, and I'd be thrilled to hear an album with song titles like these!  

Rebel Radio - could it have been an early form of Rev Rad?  Hmmmm.

and if they didn't actually do it 10 year ago, they really need a song called "Living Dead".   I can hear Billie's word play in my head, soooo good!  

Just now, Second favourite son said:

You mean coffee and repent?

YEP!

Archived