Interesting yet untalked about rumors you have heard?

ShakedTilCool

I've had the idea for this thread for a long time but i haven't posted it until today.

We have alll heard some Green Day rumors over years but most them have been either a new album is coming or a C&V tracklisting. This thread is for the more obscure, interesting rumors that have popped up over the years. Let me give you 3 examples of rumors i heard but no one really talks about.

1: Whatsername on Nimrod. This rumor i remember seeing pop up around the waiting period from 2014 to 2016. It states that either Whatsername was written or recorded durring the Nimrod sessions but was scrapped before being reworked for AI. This rumor seems basic as the only connection to Nimrod i could find would be the "burn the photographs" lyric which might be a reference to Scattered but i see it as nothing more than just a reference. The rumor was maybe made because somebody noticed the Scattered reference and thought that Whatsername was a Nimrod outake reworked.

Now for a more reasonable rumor.

2: WMUWSE was supposed to be on Shenanigans/C&V. This rumor is found on many websites has been around since 2005ish. It states that the song was going to make it's appearence as the new track on Shenanigans before Ha Ha You're Dead took it's place. It wasn't recorded as Billie was not in the mood to record it and who can blame him. Later in 2003, the song was revisted for C&V before the tapes were "stolen". This rumor sounds like it did actually happen with the "20 years have passed" line matching up with the passing of Billie's dad if the lyrics were from 02. If Time of Your Life was written in 1991 (6 years prior to Nimrod), who says WMUWSE could not have been written in 2002?

Here's a new rumor that someone posted on some random website i found.

3: Green Day played a lot of old and unheard songs durring American Idiot era soundchecks. So we all know for fact that Green Day soundchecks are quite cool with many gems being played. During some of the 2005 summer dates, many songs were played at soundcheck that were either not played at all on the tour or early verisons of songs that ended up on later albums. These included stuck with me, chump with having a blast, the American Idiot b-sides, warning, and interestingly uptight. Also a song that might have evolved into Murder City was played but the guy posting can't remember that much about it so he simply thinks it's Murder City. I can't find the post right now but i will screenshot it when i do find it. This rumor seems half real as soundcheck is where almost anything can be played if the guys remember how to play it. Stuck With Me, Chump ,and the b sides all seem like songs that could be played but Uptight and Having a Blast both seem far fetched. Uptight is not even known to have been played aside from the unrecorded shows we haven't found yet and Having a Blast is a song i doubt they teased at soundcheck let alone played in full.

So what are some obscure rumors you have heard about?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We already have a topic thread for this, called Random Green Day News and in it people talk about stuff like this :) Here's the link for it if you want to see more! 

But honestly this is really awesome. Love the thought into this!

I heard a good one - GD will do an intimate tour downunder - oh wait that was from the horse's mouth - liar😐

billy-joel.jpg

3 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

We already have a topic thread for this, called Random Green Day News and in it people talk about stuff like this :) Here's the link for it if you want to see more! 

Nah this is a bit different, Random Green Day News is more for posting small news stories in the media that involve the band when you don't think it's significant enough for a thread of its own

Hopefully it goes without saying that this should be for music related rumours like in the OP and not about the band's personal lives, if we can stick with that the thread can stay. I'm guessing if Todd comes by he'll be able to debunk almost everything that gets posted though haha

2 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I hear Billie's hair is priceless 

One time he met John Stamos on a plane and he told him he was pretty

27 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

I hear he does car commercials. In Japan.

Just like Joey? Just different product!

giphy.gif

50 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

I hear he does car commercials. In Japan.

hqdefault.jpg

Serious question though - can a rumor be untalked about? Is it really a rumor then? Isn't that the whole point of rumors, that people talk about them?

29 minutes ago, Hermione said:

No more spam please, cheers

Sorry, I'm just struggling with the concept of this thread when the Q&A thread exists to confirm/debunk rumours, and surely an "untalked about rumour" is literally just something anyone can just make up? If it's not talked about then it's not a rumour 😛 

I'm assuming it doesn't literally mean "untalked" about, maybe seldom talked about or ones that not everyone has heard before :P. We can see if any interesting ones are posted, if not plenty of other threads to post in.

Quick correction for OP: Good Riddance was written in late 1993 after Billie and Amanda broke up, not 1991, years before they dated :) That’s an awful mistake that has been echoed by Kerrang and other “reliable” sources.We gotta stomp it out!

Also, the “Murder City” soundcheck is impossible because Murder City was the last song written for 21st Century Breakdown, written in January 2009. It is possible some of the music was recycled with brand new words for the song, but I highly distrust that someone could recognize a song 4 years after they heard it. 

I would love to see your sources for the other soundchecked songs in 2005 though! That is very intriguing. 

2 hours ago, Todd said:

Quick correction for OP: Good Riddance was written in late 1993 after Billie and Amanda broke up, not 1991, years before they dated :) That’s an awful mistake that has been echoed by Kerrang and other “reliable” sources.We gotta stomp it out!

Also, the “Murder City” soundcheck is impossible because Murder City was the last song written for 21st Century Breakdown, written in January 2009. It is possible some of the music was recycled with brand new words for the song, but I highly distrust that someone could recognize a song 4 years after they heard it. 

I would love to see your sources for the other soundchecked songs in 2005 though! That is very intriguing. 

They did play Misery at soundcheck in 05 so anything else is totally on the table 

What about the soundcheck in 2010 at Manchester ? I think they played Oh Girl and Dreamcatcher. It's on YouTube somewhere.

3 hours ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

What about the soundcheck in 2010 at Manchester ? I think they played Oh Girl and Dreamcatcher. It's on YouTube somewhere.

What about it? 

the concert the welcome to paradise official video comes from was recorded for one of those home video type releases that were popular at the time complete with lots of back stage and behind the scene stuff. I think it was scrapped after that mtv special recorded in chicago.

also nimrod was first announced as a double album which is why we have so many unreleased songs from that period we have heard about but never heard.

came across both those using the way back machine one time probably from greenday.com but maybe not I don't really remember.

1 hour ago, oop.yarrz said:

the concert the welcome to paradise official video comes from was recorded for one of those home video type releases that were popular at the time complete with lots of back stage and behind the scene stuff. I think it was scrapped after that mtv special recorded in chicago.

also nimrod was first announced as a double album which is why we have so many unreleased songs from that period we have heard about but never heard.

came across both those using the way back machine one time probably from greenday.com but maybe not I don't really remember.

I don’t recall Nimrod ever being announced as a double album... I remember Billie saying because there was 18 songs instead of the usual 14 songs and it was the longest album of theirs at the time that it was “LIKE a double album” 

Ok so i have not been able to find the forum post about the soundcheck but i think i found something else we can investigate. One of my friends was friends with someone who did some work at Green Day's label. According to my friend, this label guy had obtained a cd containing songs from the AI recorded prior to the actual record being recorded. The track list of this disk is unknown but it likely has most of the songs on the finished album. This disk might have been a christmas or new years gift made for friends and family of the band. My friend has not been able to get back in contact with the label guy for 5 or 6 years now so there's little hope that this will surface soon. I'm really interested if this is a fake (which might be the case) or a real disk from 03 or 04.

4 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Rumor has it that Billie Joe's nipples present as female.

That's enough. Hermione already said "no more spam". 

5 hours ago, Todd said:

That's enough. Hermione already said "no more spam". 

Unclench. It's not spam but legitimate rumor. Look it up.

Archived