Mary Daze

Christmas 2018

Mary Daze

nd Even though I love German Christmas giftgiving on Christmas Eve and the huge dinner before that BUT this

8 hours ago, The Insider said:

We usually do presents first up & have fresh fruit & ice cream on pancakes/waffles for breakfast.  We are doing seafood for lunch & my daughter has requested Banoffee pie for dessert.   Hopefully it will be really hot so we can swim & generally have a relaxing day.

The part about opening gifts in the morning and having a huge breakfast with fresh fruit oh yesssss I’d love to do that one year! We haven’t decided yet where we will go (his parents’, my parents’) on what day and since we’ve got Christmas Eve, the 25th and the 26th to celebrate Christmas, we could maybe go to one of our parents’ on Christmas Eve, do the gift opening and breakfast in the morning of the 25th on our own and then visit the other parents and grandparents 🤔

Basically, I just want to do that kind of fruit and pancake breakfast :wub: 

• Like 2

Jane Lannister

I used to think gifts on Christmas Eve are the way it should be but the best part of Christmas is the time leading up to it and opening gifts on Christmas Day means a couple more hours of excitement (and probably a sleepless night for child-me lol) so I'd enjoy celebrating it that way.

kaylubd

Omg my mom gets so excited about gifts that she tries to give me most of them Christmas eve. I like waiting until the day of because it makes the day more exciting. But she always finds a way to make me open at least 2 gifts the night before. 

The Insider
On 6 December 2018 at 5:24 PM, Mary Daze said:

nd Even though I love German Christmas giftgiving on Christmas Eve and the huge dinner before that BUT this

The part about opening gifts in the morning and having a huge breakfast with fresh fruit oh yesssss I’d love to do that one year! We haven’t decided yet where we will go (his parents’, my parents’) on what day and since we’ve got Christmas Eve, the 25th and the 26th to celebrate Christmas, we could maybe go to one of our parents’ on Christmas Eve, do the gift opening and breakfast in the morning of the 25th on our own and then visit the other parents and grandparents 🤔

Basically, I just want to do that kind of fruit and pancake breakfast :wub: 

You are welcome to come for breakfast - its just a short 20 hour flight to my house😀

• Haha 2

Marki.

I can hear the girl who lives next to me singing along to Last Christmas really badly and I kind of want to join :lol: Let's spread the Christmas spirit haha. 

On 12/5/2018 at 9:52 PM, Jane Lannister said:

Outside it looks more like it's Easter that's coming in a couple weeks. I demand some snow to boost the Christmasness.

I'd like to take a trip somewhere that has a nice Christmas market, have some mulled wine and bake cookies. And get a tree a bit earlier than on Christmas eve or a day before because that how I've done it recently and it's not enough - I want to enjoy it longer this year.

Come to Germany :happy: And I agree on all the points, even though part of me doesn't want to break the tradition of decorating the tree on the morning of the 24th. 

• Like 1

The Insider
3 minutes ago, Marki. said:

I can hear the girl who lives next to me singing along to Last Christmas really badly and I kind of want to join :lol: Let's spread the Christmas spirit haha. 

Come to Germany :happy: And I agree on all the points, even though part of me doesn't want to break the tradition of decorating the tree on the morning of the 24th. 

The 24th - what date do you take it down. 

Marki.
34 minutes ago, The Insider said:

The 24th - what date do you take it down. 

We keep it for about 2 weeks. When I was younger, we tried to convince mum to let us keep it longer every year... I always felt like still having the Christmas tree up makes the start of January more bearable :P 

• Like 1

Mary Daze

We keep it for like a month, the latest we took it down was Valentine’s Day I think :lol: my mum and me both think “now that it’s so nicely decorated and smells so good (proper tree, no plastic) we should enjoy it as long as possible (until the needles start to fall of) but every family has their own traditions

• Like 3

Jane Lannister
2 hours ago, Marki. said:

We keep it for about 2 weeks. When I was younger, we tried to convince mum to let us keep it longer every year... I always felt like still having the Christmas tree up makes the start of January more bearable :P 

Same :lol: We keep it until January 6 and it feels good to have it

• Like 1

kaylubd

We try to keep up our tree for a bit, like the second week of January. I have that same mentality that we worked hard on it and it looks so nice we should enjoy it a little more.

• Like 1

o_O

if a real tree we keep it up until new years. but we have a fake tree so who knows when we'd take it down. 

Penguin Puffball

I settled on a Christmas present for Wesley finally. I allowed him to buy a game and a DLC for said game off Steam.

The game promptly crashed and he has been unable to play it for the last 2 hours while he's been trying to figure out how to fix it. Go fucking figure.

It's Splash Time

This year I’m spending Christmas with my partner! It’s the first time not spending Christmas with my family, in the house I grew up in. I’m quite excited. I made a list of everything to buy for the dinner, which I’ll be making myself. The presents are all sorted (I only really buy for immediate family, my partner, and my oldest friend). Work Christmas party tomorrow night has a full three course dinner and free drinks. 

Penguin Puffball

Omg so I told Wesley I wanted to make paper snowflakes and I said "I wish we could reach the ceiling cuz we could duct tape them with string to the ceiling so it looks like snowflakes falling". And he goes "You're living with the fucking Jolly Green Giant, I can reach the ceiling!" Fucking Jolly Green Giant omg :lol:

this all came from a reddit post I saw from another person who's poor and is just using paper to make Christmas decorations for this year. I LOVE decorating for the holidays and it's one of the few things that brings me real joy, but I lost all my holiday decorations in a flood 6 months ago so I have to start collecting all over again.

• Like 1

maryjanewhatsername

So my mom doesn't want to put up the Christmas Tree and she wants my boyfriend and I to do it, so she passively aggressively put all of her wrapped presents up against the wall where we normally put the Christmas tree to try to convince us to put up the tree for her :lol: She's a dork!!

Mary Daze

Last year my boyfriend and me (we live together) didn’t have our own christmas tree and i was sad about it so i guess you can imagine how excited i was when he told me he ordered one today :woot: it’s my first fake tree but for me it’s all about the fun decorating it anyways!

plus, i made some necklaces for my mum, sister, mother-in-law,... 

here’s one of them:

r9n2aq.jpg

it’s super cheap (i had some of the beads already) and it takes a while to make but it’s relaxing in its own way too :happy: 

this is the perfect gift when you agree on not spending much like we did

• Like 3

The Insider

It's all about fake trees in Oz - I draw the line at the fake white trees though.  

• Like 1

Adorkable
2 minutes ago, The Insider said:

It's all about fake trees in Oz - I draw the line at the fake white trees though.  

I love my fake tree. I get to keep it up really long, I don't have pine needles all over my living room and I am doing my part to save the forests. It always upsets me to see dead trees on the sidewalk every January.

• Like 2

The Insider
2 minutes ago, Adorkable said:

I love my fake tree. I get to keep it up really long, I don't have pine needles all over my living room and I am doing my part to save the forests. It always upsets me to see dead trees on the sidewalk every January.

When the kids were young we purchased small pine trees & planted them in the garden thinking we would stay in the house - we moved after 5 years - I'm pretty sure the new owners cut them down anyway.  It was nice idea - I guess.

Jane Lannister
2 hours ago, The Insider said:

When the kids were young we purchased small pine trees & planted them in the garden thinking we would stay in the house - we moved after 5 years - I'm pretty sure the new owners cut them down anyway.  It was nice idea - I guess.

Did the same and now we need to cut them because they're getting too big. I feel so sorry for the trees that I'm considering setting up a fake just to postpone it. :cry:

The only reason I prefer a real tree is the smell.

• Like 1

Mary Daze

We might set up our tree this weekend already, this will be unusual for me but i’m very excited either way!

The bf is going away with work wednesday-friday so that is great for me to work on his gifts.

btw on sunday we went to an ice hockey game since that was inside his advent calender on that day, he loved it :happy:

Emilie

just get a fake one and spray some glen 20 tbh

Hermione

We used to get a real tree every year growing up but now fake all the way. We have two mini pink trees, with a monkey with a santa hat on one and Billie Joe with a santa hat on the other. Going to put them up today.

• Like 1

kaylubd

We did real trees for a little but the up keep got annoying. No matter how many times we gave it water needles still fell off and hurt our tootsies. And then sometimes the bark didn't agree with the stand screws so it fell over. More than once. Fake trees are just no hassle especially prelit ones.