Green Day music videos

k3rnelpanic

As much as I obviously love this band, music videos have always been their weak point imo outside of a few exceptions 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think music videos are pretty much universally better when the band/artist acts in them. Then you're really getting another piece of artwork and performance from them. Green Day have a fairly decent record of that so they have quite a few very good videos. It's usually ones where they just play the song while actors act that are forgettable. I liked most of the Rev Rad ones, even some of the lyric videos were brilliant. 

I think their videos are mostly great which is why the bad ones stand out to me. Personally I have no patience for any music video that doesn’t feature the band no matter who it is, I don’t know why bands bother. It might be easier for them but as soon as I realize the band isn’t in it I turn it off. I could just listen to the song instead. (I’m looking at you Stray Heart and JOS)

But on the flip side they’ve mostly done great videos: Longview, Basket Case, HAR, Good Riddance, Redundant, Walking Contradiction, Waiting, Minority, AI, BOBD, Holiday, 21CB, Know Your Enemy, 21 Guns, Still Breathing, Bang Bang, Back in the USA are all at the top of my list. 

I give them a pass on Stray Heart because it was made when Billie was in rehab :P. Would've been even better if one of the band members starred in it if circumstances had allowed but I really liked it anyway because the concept was so good.

I like all of their videos from the 90s. My favorites are Walking Contradiction, Longview and Stuck With Me.

But my all time favorites are American Idiot and 21 Guns. Each frame of the videos is perfect and also how they look like. American Idiot - punk attitude and rawness combined with elegance. 21 Guns - a little bit like emo style. Those who say Green Day is a pop-rock band for teenagers think on the basis of how they look like in the video. I think it was the best Billies haircut back then, just better than with the fringe up. And, of course his tired eyes :D Sometimes it's hard to belive it's the same person.  Billie from 21 Guns or AI with his hair done and makeup on and Billie with beard, chubby cheeks and wrinkles.

Least favorites are Stay the Night and Nuclear Family, but I don't treat them seriously as official videos.

Stray Heart is completely different, but I like it. They probably didn't have any infuence on the video, due to the rehab. The vinyls are the best part in this video. Otherwise, I would think that the video could've been done for any band.

13 minutes ago, greenalert997x said:

I like all of their videos from the 90s. My favorites are Walking Contradiction, Longview and Stuck With Me.

But my all time favorites are American Idiot and 21 Guns. Each frame of the videos is perfect and also how they look like. American Idiot - punk attitude and rawness combined with elegance. 21 Guns - a little bit like emo style. Those who say Green Day is an pop-rock band for teenagers think on the basis of how they look like in the video. I think it was the best Billies haircut back then, just better than with the fringe up. And, of course his tired eyes :D Sometimes it's hard to belive it's the same person.  Billie from 21 Guns or AI with his hair done and makeup on and Billie with beard, chubby cheeks and wrinkles.

Least favorites are Stay the Night and Nuclear Family, but I don't treat them seriously as official videos.

Stray Heart is completely different, but I like it. They probably didn't have any infuence on the video, due to the rehab. The vinyls are the best part in this video. Otherwise, I would think that the video could've been done for any band.

Walking Contradiction is, BY FAR, the best music video Green Day ever made.

On 11/30/2018 at 2:10 PM, Jane Lannister said:

Where did the explicit version of Oh Love go?

Archived