In sonic terms...

deleteduser7593

I read somewhere that music was born without words, that words was something added ''later'' and, despite the fact there are some soundtracks I love, it's hard to me to think about songs I love trying to ''get rid'' off the lyrics. Lyrics, to me, most of the time come even before the music. But it's just me, in fact, even when I write my own stuff, I never start with, ''Oh, this riff is cool'' but, ''Let's see, what I'm pissed off about?'', haha... That said, talking about Green Day and getting back on-topic, in this thread I'd like for us to share our favourite musical moments in their songs. I can be just a little drum fill or a whole instrumental bridge, a guitar solo, a vocal segment. Everything. And ''why'', possibly, to not turn this idea into a ''list'' thing, eheh... I'll share something, too. I like that kind of rolling-western-ish groove going on in ''Shoplifter'' guitars. Or those little lead guitars licks in ''Governator''. Or, the palm-muted guitars in the middle of ''21st Century Breakdown''. Or, that crispy sound of guitars in ''When I Come Around'' where, despite that distortion, you can still hear the ''key minor note'' in that Eb minor chord. Or, the whole bridge in ''Basket Case'' and ''Welcome to Paradise''. Or, every time Billie Joe puts open strings sections here and there, like ''American Idiot'', or ''Jackass'' explosive introduction, like for ''Scattered'', as well. I love Trè Cool drum roll in ''Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?'' after the heavy-stopped guitar and bass rock progression. Yes, I play guitar, it's predictable. But there's more and more. I'll call this a decent start. Now it's up to you. Enjoy... 🙂

I'm not saying this is my official top pick, just the first thing to come to mind, but Tre's drum solo in Bang Bang puts a smile on my face every time I hear it!

Also I love the last part of Babs Uvula Who where they just amp up all the the energy

I also love the part of She right after the scream where there should be a guitar solo but there isn't

1 hour ago, disappearingfs said:

I read somewhere that music was born without words, that words was something added ''later'' and, despite the fact there are some soundtracks I love, it's hard to me to think about songs I love trying to ''get rid'' off the lyrics. Lyrics, to me, most of the time come even before the music. But it's just me, in fact, even when I write my own stuff, I never start with, ''Oh, this riff is cool'' but, ''Let's see, what I'm pissed off about?'', haha... That said, talking about Green Day and getting back on-topic, in this thread I'd like for us to share our favourite musical moments in their songs. I can be just a little drum fill or a whole instrumental bridge, a guitar solo, a vocal segment. Everything. And ''why'', possibly, to not turn this idea into a ''list'' thing, eheh... I'll share something, too. I like that kind of rolling-western-ish groove going on in ''Shoplifter'' guitars. Or those little lead guitars licks in ''Governator''. Or, the palm-muted guitars in the middle of ''21st Century Breakdown''. Or, that crispy sound of guitars in ''When I Come Around'' where, despite that distortion, you can still hear the ''key minor note'' in that Eb minor chord. Or, the whole bridge in ''Basket Case'' and ''Welcome to Paradise''. Or, every time Billie Joe puts open strings sections here and there, like ''American Idiot'', or ''Jackass'' explosive introduction, like for ''Scattered'', as well. I love Trè Cool drum roll in ''Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?'' after the heavy-stopped guitar and bass rock progression. Yes, I play guitar, it's predictable. But there's more and more. I'll call this a decent start. Now it's up to you. Enjoy... 🙂

Something that really makes me happy is the vocals in "Rotting". Billie is sooo good. 

1 hour ago, Maddie86 said:

I'm not saying this is my official top pick, just the first thing to come to mind, but Tre's drum solo in Bang Bang puts a smile on my face every time I hear it!

Also I love the last part of Babs Uvula Who where they just amp up all the the energy

I also love the part of She right after the scream where there should be a guitar solo but there isn't

Oh yes, that was the goal, based on emotions rather than listing.... I totally feel the same about that part. If you notice, it's something there in different songs from their 94-96 period. Coincidentially, what I mean is related to your ''She'' solo ''but there isn't''. That build up energy in ''Bab's Uvula Who?'' is what I hear in ''Tight Wad Hill'' and ''Westbound Sign'', too. Basically, overdubbed guitars instead of a predictable guitar solo. Trust me, I always had discussions with bandmates about it. ''Why repeat the chorus chords instead of a solo?'', and I was like, ''Ahhh, they can't understand'', haha... 🙂

1 hour ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Something that really makes me happy is the vocals in "Rotting". Billie is sooo good. 

Totally! His low-mood singing toally matches the lyrics. Sometimes I even find it funny 'cause Green Day always been self-sarcastic so I do imagine him recordng those ''rotting'' sentences with weird smiley faces in the studio.... :P

31 minutes ago, disappearingfs said:

Oh yes, that was the goal, based on emotions rather than listing.... I totally feel the same about that part. If you notice, it's something there in different songs from their 94-96 period. Coincidentially, what I mean is related to your ''She'' solo ''but there isn't''. That build up energy in ''Bab's Uvula Who?'' is what I hear in ''Tight Wad Hill'' and ''Westbound Sign'', too. Basically, overdubbed guitars instead of a predictable guitar solo. Trust me, I always had discussions with bandmates about it. ''Why repeat the chorus chords instead of a solo?'', and I was like, ''Ahhh, they can't understand'', haha... 🙂

Totally! His low-mood singing toally matches the lyrics. Sometimes I even find it funny 'cause Green Day always been self-sarcastic so I do imagine him recordng those ''rotting'' sentences with weird smiley faces in the studio.... :P

No doubt that lil cutie smiled at points! Love thinking about that :wub:

I love the start of Burnout, the drum rolls right before "I declare I don't care no more" make it sound like an announcement and I think it's really cool, and a great way to start an album.

The strings at the start of Viva La Gloria! get me every time. I think it's a stunning underrated arrangement!

1 hour ago, DeJennsitized said:

I love the start of Burnout, the drum rolls right before "I declare I don't care no more" make it sound like an announcement and I think it's really cool, and a great way to start an album.

The strings at the start of Viva La Gloria! get me every time. I think it's a stunning underrated arrangement!

Dookie is just a masterpiece, so I totally agree with you.

2 hours ago, DeJennsitized said:

*cia cia turuturuturu* IIII DECLARE... 😛

The bridge in Welcome to Paradise.  Each instrument has its time to shine, and then they come together perfectly.  I've always said, if anyone ever asked me "What is rock?", this is the song I would use to show them.

Some of my favourite moments are the key dropping or however you would describe it at the end of Letterbomb (which I just love everything about, starting with the intro), "she said I can't take this place I'm leaving it behind....." similar thing at the end of JAR, "gotta make a plan, gotta do what's right, can't run around in circles if you want to build a life...…" , the way Billie sings Macy's Day Parade and the pressure build in Welcome to Paradise!  

4 hours ago, Montclare said:

The bridge in Welcome to Paradise.  Each instrument has its time to shine, and then they come together perfectly.  I've always said, if anyone ever asked me "What is rock?", this is the song I would use to show them.

The first time I've listened to ''Welcome to Paradise'' was when, in 2005, I was interested in Green Day but never heard anything off them except for their hit single during those days, ''Boulevard...''. That night I was watching an MTV italy documentary about Billie Joe and friends, called ''A Night With...''. The woman conducting the show first introducted ''Basket Case'' music video saying, ''When Billie Joe decided that panic attacks come from lack of sex''. Then, later, she introduced ''Welcome to Paradise'' talking about Oakland squats. So they aried a live version from 1994, that black and white one from 120 Minutes, MTV again. And, during that bridge, there's a slow motion on the clip. It may sound off topic, but it's one of those ''life changing'' things you experience, no matter if it's just music on your TV. I was 11 years old :-)

Billie's backing vocals in 'Hammer of the Gods' is just 😍. Don't know what it is about it that works so well, but it just gets me every time. I get chills every time I hear Roshambo as well at that long drawn out "yoooooooooouuuuu" part. Billie's voice is really pretty and I like the note change in it. I also love that one solo bass part in 'Revolution Radio'. You guys know the one. There are so many more ear candy moments that GD have given me, but those are the ones that immediately came to my mind at this moment.

The build up and eventual explosion in the last 30 seconds of Jesus of Suburbia ... brought me to tears listening to AI for the first time. It was everything I wanted, and I was so fucking proud of those three.

That moment in still breathing when Billie is calling out to the others 'whoah-oh-oh-oo' to let them know he's still alive, crunches my heart up into a tiny little ball every time I hear it. It's his recovery, it's their friendship, it's real, it's raw, it's beautiful! 

8 minutes ago, Goofygoldfish said:

That moment in still breathing when Billie is calling out to the others 'whoah-oh-oh-oo' to let them know he's still alive, crunches my heart up into a tiny little ball every time I hear it. It's his recovery, it's their friendship, it's real, it's raw, it's beautiful! 

Okay so glad I'm not the only one that loves this.

Archived