Should Green Day do another mini-set over Facebook to raise money for the California wild fires?

1039Revolutions

I thought Green Day doing that live show for Americares on Facebook was awesome, and it would be great to see them do it again to raise money for wild-fire victims.. especially since it’s so close to home!

I wonder if a little push for the idea could make it happen?

I think it’s a great idea I’d love to see it and would donate. Not sure if they would do it just because fans wanted them too though. My guess is they’re supporting the cause privately. A benefit concert with other East Bay bands would be even better.

Fuck yes I love that video and the set they did I felt like I was 14 again watching them play all those old songs and I love that it was just the 3 of them in a garage

I’ve been thinking the same thing, that they really need to do something. Id love to see this or GD organizing a charity concert.

I’ve donated my drones to the effort. They said they would call me but haven’t yet. I keep trying to volunteer but there are so many that there’s a waiting list.

I feel helpless. The final numbers will dwarf the already 83 deaths and let’s hope it stays in the 100s.

I know a child (a friend of mine’s child) who got caught in a bus with fire all around them and they spent 3 hours running around the fires figuring a way out. The bus driver tore apart his shirt for kids to use for ventilation in the smoke filled bus. They barely survived. 

I dread to find out the amounts that didn’t. The winds and conditions are staggering and there is more and more evidence that it was not a natural fire.

1 hour ago, LaughingClock said:

I dread to find out the amounts they didn’t. The winds and conditions are staggering and there is more and more evidence that it was not a natural fire.

Of course it wasn't. Utility companies there are using ancient transmission equipment through the back country, not maintaining it properly (if at all), making power disconnection decisions based upon the metrics surrounding corporate bonus payouts rather than safety and generally operating with zero fear for decades because they know they will never start a fire too expensive for the state (and now customers) to bail them out. If the state of California hasn't compelled them to bury their lines yet, they aren't going to at all, and that's the only way to prevent power line fires. Even if they were to update all of their equipment, take the proper measures to keep lines from arcing and trim back foliage to a safe distance, a strong enough wind or a flying tree branch can still knock a line loose from the pole. If that happens, there's a shower of sparks headed for the ground, and that's that.

That would be cool but it's up to them if and how they do something to help really, you can't really ask someone to do something specific for charity unless you're asking them to help with something you've organised yourself etc, can't just be because it's something you want to see. A facebook concert like they did before would be one way to help but there's lots of other ways they might prefer. They might have already helped privately.

That'd be really amazing...but i'm also sure they are concretely helping without making it public.

8 hours ago, Tre's Busted Drumkit said:

Of course it wasn't. Utility companies there are using ancient transmission equipment through the back country, not maintaining it properly (if at all), making power disconnection decisions based upon the metrics surrounding corporate bonus payouts rather than safety and generally operating with zero fear for decades because they know they will never start a fire too expensive for the state (and now customers) to bail them out. If the state of California hasn't compelled them to bury their lines yet, they aren't going to at all, and that's the only way to prevent power line fires. Even if they were to update all of their equipment, take the proper measures to keep lines from arcing and trim back foliage to a safe distance, a strong enough wind or a flying tree branch can still knock a line loose from the pole. If that happens, there's a shower of sparks headed for the ground, and that's that.

Are you a fireman or something? Getting infrastructure in this state is a near impossibility.

Charity aspect aside (because I don't think it's cool to dictate how people give to good causes), they should totally do more online things. The live FB set was so refreshing and it would be such good publicity if they did more of it. They could stream some band practice! 

It's nice they don't overdo public displays of charity. Seems more sincere when they do something publicly and when they do, it's usually mentioned in a "no big deal" way which is so much better than aggressively pushing it like "LOOK WE ARE DOING GOOD PUBLICITY".

17 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

It's nice they don't overdo public displays of charity. Seems more sincere when they do something publicly and when they do, it's usually mentioned in a "no big deal" way which is so much better than aggressively pushing it like "LOOK WE ARE DOING GOOD PUBLICITY".

Plus the fact it automatically seems insincere if they do something that someone else has already suggested they "should" do. 

Archived