The Offspring rips off American Idiot

maryjanewhatsername

idk where to post this ? But The Offspring came out with an album in 2008 called Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace. I gave it a listen (just because I liked their 90's stuff and I wanted to see what they were doing in '08) and a song came on that sounded familiar... but I'd never listened to the album before. The song "Rise and Fall" RIPS OFF Green Day's "American Idiot" that came out in '04! And I was so pissed off! Here's a video that compares the two, it's an octave higher to avoid copyright laws:

Spoiler

Does anyone else feel the rage I feel? I know the Offspring is an older band than Green Day, but I totally feel like they ripped off GD.

1 hour ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

idk where to post this ? But The Offspring came out with an album in 2008 called Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace. I gave it a listen (just because I liked their 90's stuff and I wanted to see what they were doing in '08) and a song came on that sounded familiar... but I'd never listened to the album before. The song "Rise and Fall" RIPS OFF Green Day's "American Idiot" that came out in '04! And I was so pissed off! Here's a video that compares the two, it's an octave higher to avoid copyright laws:

Hide contents

Does anyone else feel the rage I feel? I know the Offspring is an older band than Green Day, but I totally feel like they ripped off GD.

I don't feel any rage over this seeing as how Green Day was ripping off Dillinger Four in the first place :) D4 has a song called "doublewhiskeycokenoice" and I've heard that Green Day ended up giving them money because they ripped it off so bad for American Idiot

6 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

I don't feel any rage over this seeing as how Green Day was ripping off Dillinger Four in the first place :) D4 has a song called "doublewhiskeycokenoice" and I've heard that Green Day ended up giving them money because they ripped it off so bad for American Idiot

Dude I had no idea! Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to give that a listen :) 

4 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Billie said American Idiot was him ripping off Kiss Me Deadly so it all comes back around.

I guess that's true! I didn't know this either! Thanks dude!!! :)

Yeah there's loads of songs that sound similar to or are influenced by Green Day and vice versa. It just happens with music and it goes both ways so not really a big deal. I've always thought the NOFX song Franco Un-American that came out in 2003 (about not wanting to be an ignorant American) must've been an influence on the theme/lyrics (especially the line "I don't wanna be another I-Don't-Care-ican"), not confirmed though :P 

8 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Reveal hidden contents

'Rise and Fall' has more songs that are Green Day-ish, I think it's cool though

• Fuzz changed the title to The Offspring rips off American Idiot

Somehow I didn't notice this was its own thread before :P. But for future reference we do have a thread for talking about when Green Day songs sound like other songs and vice versa. As you can see from the number of examples in there it happens often

As a big Offspring fan, I know both songs well. It never crossed my mind that one was a rip off of the other and don't agree that it is.

16 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Billie said American Idiot was him ripping off Kiss Me Deadly so it all comes back around.

I missed it! But, yes, he used that Generation X guitar progression to write ''Wkake Me Up...'' :P

Yeah it sounds kind of similar but I don't think it's a rip off. As much as I love Green Day though, it's impossible to deny that Warning is near identical to Picture Book by The Kinks. These things just happen, I don't think there's much reason to get bothered by it

You should not rise to the level oF RAGE over such trivial things: check out #1 (not sure why they include the two obviously sampled songs like Ice Ice Baby or Every Breath. You could do that with about 150 songs from early 90s hip hop.

Also, probably one of the most famous rock songs of all time (and by the way the “offending band” here Les Zepplin, Sprlirit (song Tourus) with the band they ripped off the summer before who they (a barely known Zepplin) opened for.  For atmospheric, it doesn’t get much better than Spirit. Soul pleasing.

Then if you’re into pop rip offs:

This one is about as eggrigious as any one of them:

Now you can say “awwe man, Meghan Trainer really ripped off Koyote”, a K-Pop band from South Korea or you could also listen to this song recorded by Phish in 1989 and played by them since 1987:

To Hermione’s point, don’t get yourself in a rough about it, and certainly don’t hold any “RAGE” over it. Lots more important things to worry about. 

In reality, while it sure sounds like Meghan Trainer ripped the hell out of them and Kotote ripped off Phish, it’s certainly possible and in the case of Trainer, likely from koyote but I doubt the teen band (at the time) Koyote from SK ever heard of, let alone listened to a jam band from The States. 

There are 12 notes in western music (24 if you count their tonal sharp and flat tonalities) and even less that work together so if you have a downward arpeggiation in this tone, you’re going to write a song that sounds like this at the breaks and verses, etc. 

There are a few notes and millions of songs. Some, like Spirit are rip offs that are sometimes homages (not in that case) but half the songs on The Longshot album are progression accurate to old 60s songs like Postman. When it’s an homage, it’s fine, if it’s just similar musicality, it’s fine, if you try and pass something that you heard from a lesser known band and you try to pass it on as your own, no bueno.

green day is famous for ripping off other artists so another artist ripping them off feels like poetic justice imo

Archived