Is Gloria based on Adrienne?

Proud3GnAthst

At least 2 21st CB songs are inspired by her, so this leads me to hypothesis that while AI is somehow dedicated to Amanda, 21st CB is dedicated to Adrienne. 

And Christian? Couldn't the central couple be actually based on both Billie and Adrienne? 

1 hour ago, Proud3GnAthst said:

At least 2 21st CB songs are inspired by her, so this leads me to hypothesis that while AI is somehow dedicated to Amanda, 21st CB is dedicated to Adrienne. 

And Christian? Couldn't the central couple be actually based on both Billie and Adrienne? 

don't hurt your head.

love, papa.

He’s said in interviews that the two characters C and G are two sides of himself, similar to the JOS/St Jimmy duality. But I’ve always interpreted Whatsername to be both Amanda and a representation of this ideal that JOS wants to be but isn’t— a person who gets off his ass and gets shit done, someone on the front lines of the protest. JOS hates what’s going on around him too but he just wants to get high and escape.

Christian and Gloria are much the same way, although there Christian is like a combination of the two (JOS/St J) already —  full of fire and fury but he just self combusts — and Gloria is the ideal that is Christian’s potential, the one that focuses her energy and uses it properly.  C has it in him to be that person if he would just apply himself. JOS doesn’t have it in him at all. So in a way it’s a maturation of the character. He’s not there yet but he’s incorporated it into his personality and he’s closer to becoming his ideal. 

9 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

He’s said in interviews that the two characters C and G are two sides of himself, similar to the JOS/St Jimmy duality. But I’ve always interpreted Whatsername to be both Amanda and a representation of this ideal that JOS wants to be but isn’t— a person who gets off his ass and gets shit done, someone on the front lines of the protest. JOS hates what’s going on around him too but he just wants to get high and escape.

Christian and Gloria are much the same way, although there Christian is like a combination of the two (JOS/St J) already —  full of fire and fury but he just self combusts — and Gloria is the ideal that is Christian’s potential, the one that focuses her energy and uses it properly.  C has it in him to be that person if he would just apply himself. JOS doesn’t have it in him at all. So in a way it’s a maturation of the character. He’s not there yet but he’s incorporated it into his personality and he’s closer to becoming his ideal. 

I agree. I also think Gloria, as well as most of his characters, could be influenced by multiple people and that likely includes Adrienne. On 21st CB especially the characters are very vague and it seems he's just using them to write about himself/his younger self and people he's known in a different way rather than developing the characters themselves much or telling much of a story. Gloria is like partly him, partly his ideal self/an ideal girl and the ideal girl part has both Amanda/Whatsername vibes and Adrienne vibes. Like, Last Night On Earth and Last of the American Girls are clearly about Adrienne but also fit into the Gloria character.

2 minutes ago, Amanda said:

How dare you suggest that he writes about anyone other than me.

You're still his favourite

It’s true and it also works for Adrienne because in a way she is his ideal image of a human being. He’s often described her in saintly terms and as someone who inspires him.

5 hours ago, Proud3GnAthst said:

I think you’re right about the two songs and the inspiration behind that because it’s been said in a few interviews but Gloria entirely definitely not. Viva La Gloria and Horseshoes and Handgrenades definitely is based on someone or something else. A crazy younger saint/sinner lonely party type. 

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

I agree. I also think Gloria, as well as most of his characters, could be influenced by multiple people and that likely includes Adrienne. On 21st CB especially the characters are very vague and it seems he's just using them to write about himself/his younger self and people he's known in a different way rather than developing the characters themselves much or telling much of a story. Gloria is like partly him, partly his ideal self/an ideal girl and the ideal girl part has both Amanda/Whatsername vibes and Adrienne vibes. Like, Last Night On Earth and Last of the American Girls are clearly about Adrienne but also fit into the Gloria character.

You're still his favourite

I agree there are a lot of different influences and the characters and songs aren’t cut and dry. It’s not as cut and dry and American Idiot. Gloria/21st Century Breakdown aren’t mirror copies. It’s like in 21CB he’s bored of having an entirely concept based album and the songs aren’t entirely following a straight and narrow narrative.

23 hours ago, Virginia Lot Lizzard said:

I agree there are a lot of different influences and the characters and songs aren’t cut and dry. It’s not as cut and dry and American Idiot. Gloria/21st Century Breakdown aren’t mirror copies. It’s like in 21CB he’s bored of having an entirely concept based album and the songs aren’t entirely following a straight and narrow narrative.

Totally agree, American Idiot is a full on concept album with clearly described characters and a storyline but with 21st CB it's a much looser concept and a different way of using characters. I think when it came out and it was being called "another rock opera" he specifically said it wasn't a rock opera, and that's true. The characters are a device to express his feelings and have multiple influences so you can't really define that they're based on one particular person.

4 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

I like the progression of writing albums about an ex, a wife and a side chick respectively.

such a great husband.

gettin it with respect, love ...papa.

23 minutes ago, papa said:

such a great husband.

gettin it with respect, love ...papa.

Wherever you lay your hat, papa.

17 hours ago, Amanda said:

Wherever you lay your hat, papa.

Reveal hidden contents

((limit your exposure))

with freaky love, papa.

Archived