Fuzz

The Great Merging

Fuzz

As of today we've merged several subforums into one place to minimize the spread of content around the sites. We originally split things up over the years as the sites grew. Now that things have slowed down, it doesn't make much sense to have everything so compartmentalized. Yes, that means it'a little more disorganized, but that's a better solution for now. When people come to GDC to talk about Green Day, or just find something interesting, it's much easier for them to quickly see other conversations that might interest them, vs. needing to browse all the subforums. 

Here are the changes that have been made:

1) Merged Green Day Pictures with Green Day Chat. Pictures just wasn't that active on its own, and since Green Day Chat isn't terribly active either, with most news at the moment related to Instagram posts or social media, it makes sense for these to be back together.

2) Merged Brink of Your Vision and Other Artists with General Chat. Same issue as above. Neither was that active on their own. Having all the "other" stuff in one place will make it easier to browse for that content, and less confusing for new members to find stuff. 

3) Remove Clubs. Right now, Clubs have just been disabled, no new posts allowed. But within the week we'll remove the subforum entirely. For people who want their club moved to General, they can request it. For people who want to recreate their club in General, they can do that too if others agree with it. We thought this was the best solution since some clubs (like the Acronym Club) has sensitive content that was previously behind the 100-post wall, and we don't want to move it to general without most users agreeing it should be.

4) Removed Welcome to Paradise. Even when we were really active, I don't think this made a huge impact either way. Now that things are much slower, it's pretty dead. 

As we go forward, we'll keep an eye on how things are doing and adjust changes as needed. The primary goal here is to bring the community closer together and make it easier for people to find related conversation without needing to hit up several different subforums. 

Beerjeezus

I love this - it's like that one April Fool's prank when we had only one thread for everything :runaround:

• Like 1

lizziebix

So Regulars...should we restart the club as a regular thread or just abandon it altogether?

Daddy.

I mean, you can put the UK club in there if you want. I should post in it more seeing as I created it. :lol: 

The Insider
8 minutes ago, lizziebix said:

So Regulars...should we restart the club as a regular thread or just abandon it altogether?

I like Regulars Club.

I also like the Downunder Club.  We don't post a lot in there but its helpful about other things not related to GD especially since the 4 posters are all from BrisVegas. @Liam @Emilie @Doggins 

I also like posting in Over 30's Club from time to time.

• Like 2

lizziebix
1 minute ago, The Insider said:

I like Regulars Club.

I also like the Downunder Club.  We don't post a lot in there but its helpful about other things not related to GD especially since the 4 posters are all from BrisVegas. @Liam @Emilie @Doggins 

I also like posting in Over 30's Club from time to time.

I'd be happy to see these are continued threads too.

• Like 1

Fuzz
3 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

I liked it the way it was before exactly for the reason that it was so organized, it was much easier to find certain topics. I kind of feel like the content in General Chat will be moving so quickly that people's art and photography threads etc. will simply get drowned out by hundreds of other updated threads and people will be even less likely to share their art.... not necessarily just because people won't see them but because, for example, new members won't know there's a possibility of sharing their stuff with the community. 🤔 I think it made a lot of sense to sepeare content into subforums. I imagine the General Chat will be very chaotic from now on... did all the mods agree on this?

It will be slightly more hectic, but there are not "hundreds of other updated threads" anywhere on this forum right now. At most, there are a couple dozen moderately active ones that will sit near the top.

You missed the days when General Chat and Green Day Chat were one place. That was hectic. And lots of people still enjoyed it. 

The Insider
Just now, Fuzz said:

It will be slightly more hectic, but there are not "hundreds of other updated threads" anywhere on this forum right now. At most, there are a couple dozen moderately active ones that will sit near the top.

I like the other artist stuff where it is.  I like seeing what others are listening to & I have been introduced to new music in there.  

• Like 2

DeJennsitized

Considering there are areas of the forum I literally never visit, it's probably a good idea. I might see something I wouldn't otherwise. 

• Like 3

Billie Hoe
Just now, Fuzz said:

Yeah, I was using hyperbole, there are not literally hundreds of threads. What I meant is that for me personally the forum is already moving pretty quickly and that I imagine with all the merged subforums it will be even more chaotic as soon as Green Day do something again and the forum will be more active, you know? Maybe it's just me

• Like 1

lizziebix

I just always use the unread content button.  That way, everything that is newly posted in is on one page and I can see everything that's going on. 

• Like 3

Fuzz
5 minutes ago, The Insider said:

I like the other artist stuff where it is.  I like seeing what others are listening to & I have been introduced to new music in there.  

Good news then, you'll continue to see what others are listening to and can still be introduced to it. All the threads still exist and anyone can talk about any band they like. Considering after I merged everything the first page of General Chat still goes all way back to Wednesday, it shouldn't be difficult to keep up.

7 minutes ago, lizziebix said:

I'd be happy to see these are continued threads too.

Want to recreate them or just move them over? I'm good with whatever you prefer.

• Like 1

lizziebix
1 minute ago, Fuzz said:

Want to recreate them or just move them over? I'm good with whatever you prefer.

I think they should be moved rather than starting over.  So Regulars, Over 30, Down Under, and UK for now.  Thanks, Fuzz.

• Like 2

Fuzz
8 minutes ago, fukingcounterstrike said:

Ew change ew, fuck everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drink your wine and quiet down.

• Haha 1

fukingcounterstrike
Just now, Fuzz said:

Drink your wine and quiet down.

I'll drink but I won't be quiet :dry:  

Fuzz

The Clubs so far requested have been moved over. I've tagged them all with "Club" so they can be easily grouped together for people wanting to browse them

http://www.greendaycommunity.org/tags/clubs/

• Like 2

fukingcounterstrike
7 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

The Clubs so far requested have been moved over. I've tagged them all with "Club" so they can be easily grouped together for people wanting to browse them

http://www.greendaycommunity.org/tags/clubs/

Motion to change to name of the regulars club to "the permanent spam club for select elite members" 

• Like 1

lizziebix
6 minutes ago, fukingcounterstrike said:

Motion to change to name of the regulars club to "the permanent spam club for select elite members" 

Not elite, only need to be here a year.  Whether you post a lot or not at all.  One year and you can post in that thread.

Beerjeezus
44 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

the forum is already moving pretty quickly 

We must be on a different forum :lol:

• Like 1

Billie Hoe
Just now, Jane Lannister said:

We must be on a different forum :lol:

no i'm just a baby who's overwhelmed with everything all the time lol

Beerjeezus
1 minute ago, Billie Hoe said:

no i'm just a baby who's overwhelmed with everything all the time lol

aww :wub:  gdc's not dead 

Fuzz
Just now, Jane Lannister said:

aww :wub:  gdc's not dead 

Not if I have anything to do with it. 

o_O
1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

As of today we've merged several subforums into one place to minimize the spread of content around the sites. We originally split things up over the years as the sites grew. Now that things have slowed down, it doesn't make much sense to have everything so compartmentalized. Yes, that means it'a little more disorganized, but that's a better solution for now. When people come to GDC to talk about Green Day, or just find something interesting, it's much easier for them to quickly see other conversations that might interest them, vs. needing to browse all the subforums. 

Here are the changes that have been made:

1) Merged Green Day Pictures with Green Day Chat. Pictures just wasn't that active on its own, and since Green Day Chat isn't terribly active either, with most news at the moment related to Instagram posts or social media, it makes sense for these to be back together.

2) Merged Brink of Your Vision and Other Artists with General Chat. Same issue as above. Neither was that active on their own. Having all the "other" stuff in one place will make it easier to browse for that content, and less confusing for new members to find stuff. 

3) Remove Clubs. Right now, Clubs have just been disabled, no new posts allowed. But within the week we'll remove the subforum entirely. For people who want their club moved to General, they can request it. For people who want to recreate their club in General, they can do that too if others agree with it. We thought this was the best solution since some clubs (like the Acronym Club) has sensitive content that was previously behind the 100-post wall, and we don't want to move it to general without most users agreeing it should be.

4) Removed Welcome to Paradise. Even when we were really active, I don't think this made a huge impact either way. Now that things are much slower, it's pretty dead. 

As we go forward, we'll keep an eye on how things are doing and adjust changes as needed. The primary goal here is to bring the community closer together and make it easier for people to find related conversation without needing to hit up several different subforums. 

i agree. with the acronym club maybe just MAYBE add it to the advice forum and that alone has the 100 post statue there. 

1 hour ago, lizziebix said:

we should continue!