Personal Limit of Discussion about the Band on GDC

UNICORN VOMIT

I feel sometimes people go too far bordering on creepiness.

What's your limit?  BJ's nose hairs is fine but wanting to know every minute detail about someone is taking it too far.

Thoughts peeps.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I don't think it's okay to discuss their personal relationships or go into great detail over an unconventional body part. Eyes, hair, arms - those are all fine, but I draw the line at discussing more personal areas. I don't need to know every little thing about their personal lives, bathroom habits, etc. and moreover, I don't want to know. They're really generous people and give more than enough of themselves to us already.

6 minutes ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

bathroom habits

Except if they make it public news.😑

1 hour ago, The Insider said:

Except if they make it public news.😑

Well, yeah. 😬

Yeah the idea is to keep things mostly music/artistry focused. I think it's ok to discuss personal details about the band when it's things they've talked about in interviews but trying to pry further than that and speculating about personal things or trying to do "original research" to try and find more that they haven't shared themselves goes too far. 

I want to know the precise shade of Billie's dog's poop, so that I can match it on the Dulux colour chart and paint my bathroom exactly the same.

Good general rule: if you find yourself questioning whether something is appropriate to talk about, then you probably shouldn't be talking about it.

I gotta know the bands shampoo choices anything else is off limits.

49 minutes ago, inthehallwaynow said:

Honestly looking at the (glorious) state of Billie's hair after decades of constant dyeing and straightening he owes the world this information. 

59 minutes ago, inthehallwaynow said:

The trick is not the shampoo but how much conditioner to use. That is the real important fact. The conditioner controls the fluff.

1 hour ago, herewegoagain said:

Honestly looking at the (glorious) state of Billie's hair after decades of constant dyeing and straightening he owes the world this information. 

I fully support this stance. If he ever wanders back over to Instagram I'm definitely going to ask him that fer sure. I wish I was kidding. I'm gross.

1 hour ago, Grubby Poop said:

The trick is not the shampoo but how much conditioner to use. That is the real important fact. The conditioner controls the fluff.

Exactly! I can never get the right amounts of either it's a real shit show. I think that'll be my mantra in the shower "control the fluff control the fluff." How exciting haha

17 hours ago, Amanda said:

I want to know the precise shade of Billie's dog's poop, so that I can match it on the Dulux colour chart and paint my bathroom exactly the same.

& the paint colour will be known as @Grubby Poop

On 10/19/2018 at 1:05 AM, The Insider said:

I feel sometimes people go too far bordering on creepiness.

What's your limit?  BJ's nose hairs is fine but wanting to know every minute detail about someone is taking it too far.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:13 AM, squashie09 said:

@The Insider the nose hairs made me LOL!

I think I was the one initiating the nose hair talk on the fangirls thread back then :P

For my part, I'm rarely eager to know some specific things about Billie or the band. I once got the occasion to ask someone who ate in the same place as Billie what he had liked to eat, and I thought I was lucky to get to ask that, but outside of those rare kind of opportunities I'm not really interested in looking for info, creepy or not. Whenever I want to know something, I ask myself what's creepy and what's not, keeping in mind you can't impose your own limit to people... and most of the time, either I can find out quickly thanks to GDC (stuff I would probably not find by myself since I don't go so often surfing on the net) if the band has talked about it themselves, either they haven't and in that case I don't discuss it because I wouldn't be satisfied if the answer wasn't given by the guys themselves... and while I admit that speculation is readable and sometimes entertaining, I don't really believe in it to bring me answers. 

On 10/19/2018 at 12:55 PM, localinsomniac said:

Good general rule: if you find yourself questioning whether something is appropriate to talk about, then you probably shouldn't be talking about it.

This! The only problem with this is that, I think, some people don't waste a second questioning whether or not it's appropriate to research certain things, which is the whole problem in my opinion.

Also, even if things aren't technically, morally and legally wrong, doesn't mean they're not creepy. :) 

I think it's interesting to hear details about the band members but like, they've done countless interviews, made countless social media posts and there's countless articles about them etc. They already share what they feel like sharing about themselves and there's already massive amounts of it to read and be entertained by. Imo it's trying to pry further than what they've shared that crosses a line.

21 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I think it's interesting to hear details about the band members but like, they've done countless interviews, made countless social media posts and there's countless articles about them etc. They already share what they feel like sharing about themselves and there's already massive amounts of it to read and be entertained by. Imo it's trying to pry further than what they've shared that crosses a line.

Why is it prying? Maybe it’s just asking a question that hasn’t been asked yet. It’s not like they’ve specifically refused to answer a certain question.  If they did and you persisted then it’s prying. 

Whether it's prying depends on the context I guess. Discussing or asking them about lyrics they haven't talked about is fine to a certain extent. Music is their job, we're fans of that and it's reasonable to discuss it, as long as it's respectful and not outright speculation. It can go that way and obviously that's creepy. But digging for info on things like their sex lives or mental health, outside of what they've shared, is nearly always prying. We shouldn't feel we need to know.

21 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

Whether it's prying depends on the context I guess. Discussing or asking them about lyrics they haven't talked about is fine to a certain extent. Music is their job, we're fans of that and it's reasonable to discuss it, as long as it's respectful and not outright speculation. It can go that way and obviously that's creepy. But digging for info on things like their sex lives or mental health, outside of what they've shared, is nearly always prying. We shouldn't feel we need to know.

Agreed. I feel like a good rule of thumb is, if someone you just met that day in line for a GD concert asked you something similar about your life, would it feel invasive? If so, don't ask Billie (to whom you probably are a stranger) the same thing or something similar. 

9 hours ago, The Bellie said:

I think I was the one initiating the nose hair talk on the fangirls thread back then :P

For my part, I'm rarely eager to know some specific things about Billie or the band. I once got the occasion to ask someone who ate in the same place as Billie what he had liked to eat, and I thought I was lucky to get to ask that, but outside of those rare kind of opportunities I'm not really interested in looking for info, creepy or not. Whenever I want to know something, I ask myself what's creepy and what's not, keeping in mind you can't impose your own limit to people... and most of the time, either I can find out quickly thanks to GDC (stuff I would probably not find by myself since I don't go so often surfing on the net) if the band has talked about it themselves, either they haven't and in that case I don't discuss it because I wouldn't be satisfied if the answer wasn't given by the guys themselves... and while I admit that speculation is readable and sometimes entertaining, I don't really believe in it to bring me answers. 

So uh... what did they say he liked to eat?? Just asking for a friend haha.

Archived