Personal limit of behavior when meeting BJA

Savannah89

I've seen many videos of fans hugging Billie after being pulled on stage or at autograph lessons. 

There are also videos where people are kissing him and getting really close to him.

What are you thinking? Where is your personal limit when you would meet him? I've asked myself many times and I came to the conclusion that hugging would be fine with me. But kissing or pulling my arm around him would be too much. I feel like I pass a border then.

What do you think? Where is your personal limit?

Also I have the feeling he stopped kissing people on the mouth since he was in rehab. Or am I wrong?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think in general you should respect musicians and their boundaries and not make physical contact but in the case of Green Day, I would make an exception. Billie Joe has done this so many times and we've seen in many videos that he reacts in a way that does not suggest that hugging makes him uncomfortable. He usually lets fans hug him. I don't know about kissing though. My presumption would be that he'd be totally cool with it but I don't know if that's really something you should assume about someone. Maybe shout "can I kiss you" before slobbering all over him lol

When you run into them on the street, you have to remember they're people and treat them as such, and not get blinded by their fame and start treating them like nothing but collectable memory trophies. I generally wouldn't take pics with them, kiss them or hug them without asking first and do anything I wouldn't do with any other person (I wouldn't just run up to a stranger and throw myself at them as I've seen some fans do with Billie). Just because he doesn't protest doesn't necessarily mean that he likes it.:confused:Use your common sense and be respectful, even if he's too nice to tell you off. He puts up with a lot to make fans happy, some people take advantage of that. 

But when you get pulled on stage, I wouldn't see a problem with hugging him just like that. Kissing is kinda dodgy imo and nothing I would do myself (even tho he kisses fans sometimes on his own accord but idk it's weird)

If you wouldn’t do it to a stranger, don’t do it to Billie. 

If I ran into Billie, I would be too scared to even approach him to just say a simple hello. I wouldn't want to bother him in any way because I'd feel like an annoying pest.

He seems to be fine with hugs at concerts, though, and I would totally hug him in that context if I got the chance. He usually looks likes he's the initiator of hugs on stage anyway. The only problem is that I wouldn't want it to end and would be sad to let go. :wub: I would definitely not kiss him unless he initiated it.

In the street obviously you respect boundaries like you would with anyone, and only approach, initiate conversation or ask for a photo or autograph or hug calmly and respectfully. On stage it's a different situation and like with anything in life it depends on the context and what's going on. Billie has a history of giving fans friendly hugs and kisses on stage and inviting them to do the same to him, so there's times when a fan is brought on stage where that's appropriate. It's still just like any other situation where you might hug or kiss someone though, it's about making sure they know you're going to do it and are ok with it first, through physical cues and/or by asking. The only thing that's different is you wouldn't normally kiss someone on the mouth to be friendly lol, but that's how Billie rolls so if he initiates that or clearly invites it or someone asks (given that he's made it clear he's more than ok with it before - it's not the same as just asking a random musician who doesn't do that) and he's happy to oblige I don't see anything wrong with it.

I think I would die if I'd ask him for a hug on the street and I would feel bad, because there is a difference between hugging him on stage and on the street. I wouldn't have the nuts. Not to talk about kissing. I think kissing is something really personal.

Didn't someone said he had glandular fever once? Maybe infected by a fan?

But to be honest hugging him must feel totally unreal, like being in heaven. Anybody can tell about any experiences? 

If I ran into Billie...I don't know if I would approach him. If he was with family or looked busy I probably wouldn't. I would silently squeal to myself. But if he was free or it was a meet and greet, I would ask if I could have a hug. I know lots of people don't like to be randomly hugged or touched and I respect that, so I would want to ask if it's okay and maybe get a picture. Pulled on stage, that's different. I would just hug him, but I don't think I would go beyond that.

Generally I think it's reasonable to only touch him if he initiates it. I do get hugging him without asking onstage and I'm sure he does too - it's the heat of the moment. He usually invites people to, anyway. I think kissing is too much though (unless he initiates it of course). I know he used to kiss fans without asking, but they knew what they were getting when they went onstage. He isn't necessarily expecting a random stranger to kiss him now.

43 minutes ago, Savannah89 said:

Is it just me or did he kiss more people before 2012?

Not really, it was just Lady Cobra.

ew i would never kiss him

i have hugged his sweaty little ass tho and I did not feel bad about it and idk it seemed like he enjoyed it at best and was indifferent at worst :confused:

9 hours ago, Savannah89 said:

Didn't someone said he had glandular fever once? Maybe infected by a fan?

Really? Didn't know that

I generally think with all people, rockstars included, it's best to just ask before touching them unless it's obvious that he's cool with it like on stage. And even then, that doesn't mean you shouldn't be considerate about how you go about it. I've seen some fans jump into his arms (which could hurt his back) or squeeze him so hard it looks like he's gonna snap in half or like he might fall because they're pulling him back in the same motion. I got the chance to hug him once and I just asked, rather than assaulting him.

11 hours ago, Savannah89 said:

But to be honest hugging him must feel totally unreal, like being in heaven. Anybody can tell about any experiences? 

My one experience was so quick (normal friendly hug length) because I'd rather be extra considerate than rude. It felt like hugging a more muscular version of my mom honestly, haha. She's petite and only about an inch shorter than him and his frame is just a lot smaller than I was expecting. But it was nice because I prefer to hug people my size, haha. I don't recall him having a scent but then again my sense of smell is virtually nonexistent. 

What the hell is glandular fever and how would he know he got it from a fan? Did the fan have swollen glands when kissing him? Asking the important questions.

So my plan of getting on stage and just start humping him wouldn’t be appropriate? 

1 hour ago, neverdone2000 said:

What the hell is glandular fever and how would he know he got it from a fan? Did the fan have swollen glands when kissing him? Asking the important questions.

Its the kissing disease😐

10 hours ago, solongfromthestars said:

Generally I think it's reasonable to only touch him if he initiates it. I do get hugging him without asking onstage and I'm sure he does too - it's the heat of the moment. He usually invites people to, anyway. I think kissing is too much though (unless he initiates it of course). I know he used to kiss fans without asking, but they knew what they were getting when they went onstage. He isn't necessarily expecting a random stranger to kiss him now.

When he used to do it without asking/indicating it was going to happen they didn't know, he would do it to guys by grabbing them and surprising them and sometimes they weren't expecting it at all and clearly weren't particularly happy about it. He was trying to make a point and/or be funny I think (he mentioned something about how it would be a shock to jock type guys at the show and how it was like Bugs Bunny planting a kiss on Elmer Fudd before), kind of dodgy though. It was only around AI times onwards that it became more of a mutual thing where people expected it.

I agree though, it depends on the situation but the situation on stage at a big GD show is usually just that a hug is on offer now. I don't think there's anything wrong with offering a friendly kiss the way Billie used to all the time and still does occasionally but that possibility just doesn't usually naturally come up. Doing it by surprise would be rude and unnecessary.

It felt like hugging a more muscular version of my mom honestly, haha.

I tried to picture more than a million times how it feels to hug him. Didn't it feel unreal to you?

Wow, muscular. Never expected to feel that when you hug him ❤️ 

This whole thing let me think about this little boy at Wembley who hugged him the whole time and didn't let go and when he didn't let go Billie tried to move with him hanging on his leg😝

I’d give him a good hand shake 😛 Possibly ask for a picture if we were in a situation where there was time for one. 

Think it totally depends on the situation.  I would really struggle with not wanting to disturb him and never getting the chance again if it’s was just random, walking about type thing.  If I did get close enough though, I would definitely go for a hug and a kiss on the cheek!  

Archived