Do you think they'll let the Trump era pass by?

jollyroger

Pretty much as the title says do you think they'll let the Trump era pass without releasing a new album? I feel like 2005 was a soft core version of what's going on in America today and while Revolution Radio was a little political it was written during a much more stable time in America. Assuming Trump doesn't get re-elected we'll still be dealing with the fall out of this presidency for years but I'd like to hear what they'd write now. I don't want AI part 2 but what do you think?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they will. At least not deliberately. They're getting older and eventually the public is going to start noticing, so they're running out of years where they can be kinda relevant. But I can't even imagine how difficult it is to write right now. Way too much is happening too quickly. How do you sift through it all, not accidentally write something that's dated by next week, and come to some kind of deep meaning? They have to find a balance between ignoring Trump America and making an album that revolves around it. AND not repeat what they've done in the past. Not an easy task.

34 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

I don't think they will. At least not deliberately. They're getting older and eventually the public is going to start noticing, so they're running out of years where they can be kinda relevant. But I can't even imagine how difficult it is to write right now. Way too much is happening too quickly. How do you sift through it all, not accidentally write something that's dated by next week, and come to some kind of deep meaning? They have to find a balance between ignoring Trump America and making an album that revolves around it. AND not repeat what they've done in the past. Not an easy task.

Wow. You make it sound like a near impossible task. 😢 If they are in fact struggling over what to do for the next album it would be perfectly understandable. I don’t envy them right now.

13 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Wow. You make it sound like a near impossible task. 😢 If they are in fact struggling over what to do for the next album it would be perfectly understandable. I don’t envy them right now.

It's certainly not easy. I've heard a lot of writers talk about how it's actually harder to write when you have too much to write about. Just as when you don't have enough. If they manage to do it like REALLY hit that mark (assuming that's the mark they're trying to hit) then I will be very very impressed. If anyone can do it, they can though.

5 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

I don't really care about them being relevant to the public as much as writing about relevant topics ya know? But you made a lot of good points it's probably pretty hard for every artist right now to even keep up with whats going on.

Maybe they're on fire writing about Trump right now. But like, they're never been one of those super political focused punk bands who dissects every political issue in their songs. With them it's more about the personal side of reacting to/dealing with what they're seeing going on. Even on American Idiot it's that way. Just because Trump is particularly bad it doesn't necessarily mean they'd write about it any differently to that.

44 minutes ago, hym.jarred said:

Billie Joe is a pussy

Rude. How so?

Off the top of my head they released a video depicting Trump with KKK hats for teeth and MLK crying for Troubled Times and another with him as a hideous zombie for Back in the USA so I'm not seeing it. Album was released too early to write about Trump directly but they sure made up for it with the videos.

36 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Rude. How so?

Off the top of my head they released a video depicting Trump with KKK hats for teeth and MLK crying for Troubled Times and another with him as a hideous zombie for Back in the USA so I'm not seeing it. Album was released too early to write about Trump directly but they sure made up for it with the videos.

I love the dude, but he's all talk. I'm not going to get into a debate and point all of the credible facts, I perceive. Just gonna call him a pussy

40 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Maybe they're on fire writing about Trump right now. But like, they're never been one of those super political focused punk bands who dissects every political issue in their songs. With them it's more about the personal side of reacting to/dealing with what they're seeing going on. Even on American Idiot it's that way. Just because Trump is particularly bad it doesn't necessarily mean they'd write about it any differently to that.

Rude. How so?

I personally want their next album to be in the vain of Back In the USA even though the lyrics are so-so its one of my favorite songs they released in the last few years

2 hours ago, hym.jarred said:

I love the dude, but he's all talk. I'm not going to get into a debate and point all of the credible facts, I perceive. Just gonna call him a pussy

Fantastic addition 

tenor.gif?itemid=10955475

2 hours ago, hym.jarred said:

I mean, he's a musician/lyricist/performer so he's kind of supposed to be all talk :P. I don't know what else he could be expected to do.

3 hours ago, hym.jarred said:

I think I'd rather have Billie Joe being all talk about a fascist dictator, than a user on the internet calling him a misogynistic name...but that's just me

I don't really want the next album to be about Trump. It can be political at points, and it can have references to the Trump administration but I don't want a whole album about Trump. But I'm sure they won't do that. American Idiot (the album) wasn't about George Bush. Parts of it were but overall, it wasn't that political. 21st CB and RR were political, but had songs about specific issues and I like when they do that

6 hours ago, jollyroger said:

I don't really care about them being relevant to the public as much as writing about relevant topics ya know? But you made a lot of good points it's probably pretty hard for every artist right now to even keep up with whats going on.

You might not but if they care about their career then THEY should.  Not to the point of compromising quality, but It’s worth being mindful of it.

6 hours ago, Hermione said:

Totally, but to do that I think they have to find a way to wrap their head around this era which is next to impossible right now.

6 hours ago, hym.jarred said:

Hmm, besides talk what are his options? Donating to campaigns (which I have no doubt he has done), volunteering for campaigns (he’d either get kidnapped, killed, or end up in a viral video that he and the band never live down), or he could scale the fence at the White House and try to kill Trump, fail, and spend life in jail. 

Yeah, I’d like him to stick to talk and donating. He’s a not a pussy (choose a better word next time, pussies are tough not weak, get it right) he’s just not stupid.

No they won't. Trump is a perfect opportunity to get political & gain publicity from it. Ideal time for releasing an album. 

They already didn’t let it pass by.

Bang Bang performance at that award show, music videos for Troubled Times and Back In The USA were direct reaction to Trumps presidency.

18 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

They already didn’t let it pass by.

Bang Bang performance at that award show, music videos for Troubled Times and Back I’m The USA were direct reaction to Trumps presidency.

It was before he was elected though and that wasn’t what the song was about. Apart from Back in the USA they haven’t had a chance to release music during this administration yet.

My guess is they will, but like with AI it will be implied but not explicit.  I just hope they also manage to keep it fun and not get too apocalyptic like they thought 21CB was.

Funny, I was just listening to AI and wondering the same thing. I feel like BJ has mentioned before that he wouldn’t write about that person in the White House (I can’t say his name without feeling sick) because he didn’t warrant any of his time or something like that. When I saw them on the RevRad tour they didn’t even talk about politics. They basically said “we all know what’s going on, let’s just forget about it for tonight and have a good time.” I almost feel like if they write a new album they should go with that philosophy. Bring it up every now and then, but keep it mostly fun. 

30 minutes ago, R_Z-Log said:

Funny, I was just listening to AI and wondering the same thing. I feel like BJ has mentioned before that he wouldn’t write about that person in the White House (I can’t say his name without feeling sick) because he didn’t warrant any of his time or something like that. When I saw them on the RevRad tour they didn’t even talk about politics. They basically said “we all know what’s going on, let’s just forget about it for tonight and have a good time.” I almost feel like if they write a new album they should go with that philosophy. Bring it up every now and then, but keep it mostly fun. 

I agree to a point. I don't want them to ignore it entirely.  It would be good if they touch on issues or general feelings of the country with hints at this administration specifically. That's basically what they have done in the past. He never says Bush's name on AI, but then have a line like "the president gasman" hinting at Bush. They could still write really powerful lyrics without getting over specific. I think adding in a humorous element like they did on Back in the USA gives it a twist from AI and could have an even bigger impact than just straight anger and sadness. 

Why do we need them to write songs about trump anyways? Theyre not a political band. American idiot had what teo songs that were political? Likw when trump was elected and all these interviews and videos were all about what billie joe thinks of the new president. Who cares? And ive lived green day since 1994 but billie has bwcone a pussy. Look at his in stagram video about people saying green day is breaking up. He sounded like such a childish bitch.sBack in the day hed be like were not gonna justify ourselves and thatd be it. Also all his stupid tweets about trump noone cares billie joe. Go make some more makeup commericals. The best staement about politics hes made was in 94 when he said hed rather listen to the opinion of a prostitute than a politician. Anything else is billie trying to seem relevant or like hes a voice of the people. He used to be until it all went to his head.

16 minutes ago, nopride84 said:

Why do we need them to write songs about trump anyways? Theyre not a political band. American idiot had what teo songs that were political? Likw when trump was elected and all these interviews and videos were all about what billie joe thinks of the new president. Who cares? And ive lived green day since 1994 but billie has bwcone a pussy. Look at his in stagram video about people saying green day is breaking up. He sounded like such a childish bitch.sBack in the day hed be like were not gonna justify ourselves and thatd be it. Also all his stupid tweets about trump noone cares billie joe. Go make some more makeup commericals. The best staement about politics hes made was in 94 when he said hed rather listen to the opinion of a prostitute than a politician. Anything else is billie trying to seem relevant or like hes a voice of the people. He used to be until it all went to his head.

I appreciate the attempt but it's very poorly executed. This is how millenials are killing the troll industry.

14 hours ago, hym.jarred said:

Donald Trump is a pussy

Fixed it -  ( I even have photographic evidence to back up my claim 🤣)

the-best-funny-pictures-of-awkward-cat-p

Unless they can get an album done quickly, they won't have time because I am fully confident and hopeful that he won't have a second term.

4 minutes ago, Grubby Poop said:

Unless they can get an album done quickly, they won't have time because I am fully confident and hopeful that he won't have a second term.

They still have two years unless he gets impeached :happy:

2 hours ago, nopride84 said:

lol, even if any of this was accurate, the spelling sure isn't 😂

Archived