Billie and religion

Savannah89

Can you post the article? Or the part where he said that he went through it with the help of rehab and prayer?

He drank a glass of whine in italy so I'm careful to talk about sobriety here.  But maybe that wasn't the issue of the thread and maybe is not our thing to discuss here.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know about the "prayer" thing but I found this article. I assume this is the one you're talking about

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/billie-joe-armstrong-the-rolling-stone-interview-94267/

I kind of feel like it's Billie Joe messing and the interviewer not getting it because I can't really picture Billie doing that. Although tbh, I'm not sure whether his views on religion has changed at all in recent times. I don't think I've heard him talk about religion since the 21CB era.

52 minutes ago, Savannah89 said:

Can you post the article? Or the part where he said that he went through it with the help of rehab and prayer?

He drank a glass of whine in italy so I'm careful to talk about sobriety here.  But maybe that wasn't the issue of the thread and maybe is not our thing to discuss here.

HE'S HAD A GLASS OF WINE NOW HE'S GONNA DIE ASDFGHJKL

36 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I didn't know about the "prayer" thing but I found this article. I assume this is the one you're talking about

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/billie-joe-armstrong-the-rolling-stone-interview-94267/

I kind of feel like it's Billie Joe messing and the interviewer not getting it because I can't really picture Billie doing that. Although tbh, I'm not sure whether his views on religion has changed at all in recent times. I don't think I've heard him talk about religion since the 21CB era.

Or maybe it just our own denial making us collectively believe he's not religious even though he might as well pray 100 times a day

He's said he's opposed to organized religion but has also said that he's spiritual.  Lots of people have left traditional churches, but still believe there might be something else out there.  I could see Billie being like this.  I also don't see him hiding this from us.  I mean, he plays a guitar with Mary on it, we've seen what's on his fireplace numerous times, he's made comments expressing both sentiments, etc.

As for going to church, I could see him doing that on occasion.  I remember there was a thread here, maybe in 2013, showing him at a church and people were discussing this then (for some reason, I want to say it was in Canada).

2 hours ago, jengd said:

I've always heard Billie speak against religion, I get that he and Adrienne have a collection of icons/crosses etc but I was thrown slightly when he said in the Rolling Stone interview (I think) that he had used rehab and prayer to get through his issues.  It could be typical Billie messing with the interviewer to say prayer or maybe he found some help in prayer when times were tough, whatever it takes right?  It did make me wonder though, I actually think he said it a few times in the odd occasions he's spoken about his rehab.  

Don't want to start that conversation but good for him, 6 years now!

I had a similar reaction but there IS a difference between religion and spirituality. You can believe in the possibility of some sort of higher power, or even just an afterlife, without believing in all the man made nonsense. Given that Billie was raised Catholic and lost his dad at such a young age, I'd be very surprised if he didn't believe or at least keep his mind open to the possibility of some kind of higher power/afterlife. I'm speculating of course but It's hard to lose that completely. Especially if you want to believe it as most people who lost someone close to them would. It's hard to know if he prayed much before rehab but maybe whoever was working with him on his addictions gave him a way to do it that made sense for his beliefs. It's just confusing because he didn't elaborate on it or how it fit into the thoughts/beliefs he's shared previously. Which is fine, that's his business, but it feels weird when he's talked about it in another context before and we're left to connect the dots on our own. 

8 minutes ago, Montclare said:

As for going to church, I could see him doing that on occasion.  I remember there was a thread here, maybe in 2013, showing him at a church and people were discussing this then (for some reason, I want to say it was in Canada).

Yeah, and not to imply that this is the only reason, but a lot of people will go on big holidays to make their family happy. I'm agnostic and very opposed to a lot of religious stuff, but my dad goes to a fairly liberal church so I'll go with him when I'm home or on holidays because it makes him happy and they don't do anything there that I'm against. This stuff is complex. Billie probably is just making similar decisions that work for him and still fit with what he has said. 

HE'S HAD A GLASS OF WINE NOW HE'S GONNA DIE ASDFGHJKL

I'm working with people that are suffering from alcohol addiction since 10 years. There is no "just a glass of whine". Either you are drinking or you're not and you're sober. The only thing that would make sense here is controlled drinking but as I said. That's not the issue here and not our issue.

Is this thread still here?

In Viggiano Adrienne and Billie had been to a church too:

At 3:48 you can see it and it seems like he is really fascinated when he's in the church with Adrienne.

17 minutes ago, Savannah89 said:

In Viggiano Adrienne and Billie had been to a church too:

At 3:48 you can see it and it seems like he is really fascinated when he's in the church with Adrienne.

That church was were his great great grandfather was baptized and married which is probably why he seems more fascinated with it. He was discovering his family history. But in his defense, it is a very beautiful church from an architectural standpoint.

---

I'm not trying to be rude here but, I'm just curious what you're really after with this thread. Are you trying to convince us that Billie is religious or ... It's really not any of our business what he does or doesn't believe. Just saying, after 2 pages of conversation, it seems like you're trying to convince others that he's hiding what he really believes, or that he's lying about his religious/spirituality views...

1 minute ago, squashie09 said:

I'm not trying to be rude here but, I'm just curious what you're really after with this thread. Are you trying to convince us that Billie is religious or ... It's really not any of our business what he does or doesn't believe. Just saying, after 2 pages of conversation, it seems like you're trying to convince others that he's hiding what he really believes, or that he's lying about his religious/spirituality views...

It does look like it

29 minutes ago, Savannah89 said:

I'm working with people that are suffering from alcohol addiction since 10 years. There is no "just a glass of whine". Either you are drinking or you're not and you're sober. The only thing that would make sense here is controlled drinking but as I said. That's not the issue here and not our issue.

Like I said, he had a glass of wine and the next thing you know he's dead from whine overdose.

I'm not trying to be rude here but, I'm just curious what you're really after with this thread

I don't know where you read that I want to convince anybody. I was just interested if he's in religion, because I never asked myself before. I don't judge anyone for being religious or not religious. I'm agnostic myself. It's just a thread, so please calm down and stop interpretations.  He can believe in whatever he wants to.  I just wanted to know if he is just collecting crucifixes for being religious or just for fun.

Like I said, he had a glass of wine and the next thing you know he's dead from whine overdose.

As I said. I see no point of discussing it with you. First:  your not working as a facility for people consuming alcohol, so you have no knowledge how addiction works and secondly: It's not our issue. It's just a little bit crazy to say that he is clean for 6 years now. Or are you living with him that you know how much he drinks or consumes daily? 

We don't know and it's not our issue either. 

4 minutes ago, Savannah89 said:

I don't know where you read that I want to convince him. I was just interested if he's in religion, because I never asked myself before. I don't judge anyone for being religious or not religious. I'm agnostic myself. It's just a thread, so please calm down and stop interpretations.  He can believe in whatever he wants to. 

Where did I say you were trying to convince HIM or that anyone was judging? I'm just trying to understand your responses to peoples comments because, to me, it reads like you are trying to convince OTHERS (not billie) that he's hiding and/or lying about his views. WHICH is none of our business anyways.

Multiple people have stated and posted sources to his comments about his views. We, as outsiders, need to take those words for what they are and not twist his words or pry into his private life.

7 minutes ago, Savannah89 said:

your not working as a facility for people consuming alcohol, so you have no knowledge how addiction works and secondly: It's not our issue. It's just a little bit crazy to say that he is clean for 6 years now. Or are you living with him that you know how much he drinks or consumes daily?

Do you know if @Jane Lannister does/doesn't work in that field? As you said, calm down...

6 minutes ago, Savannah89 said:

As I said. I see no point of discussing it with you. First:  your not working as a facility for people consuming alcohol, so you have no knowledge how addiction works and secondly: It's not our issue. It's just a little bit crazy to say that he is clean for 6 years now. Or are you living with him that you know how much he drinks or consumes daily? 

We don't know and it's not our issue either. 

You don't know where I work and I'm just as sure you have no idea who I live with or what knowledge I have so please stop making assumptions.

If you agree it's not our issue then why are you here publicly claiming he has a problem just because you saw a photo of him holding a wine glass? That's just absurd.

o convince OTHERS (not billie) that he's hiding and/or lying about his views. WHICH is none of our business anyways.

Believe whatever you want to. I don't care. You interpret things in comments that I never said.  😜  Please start reading again. I just asked if he is religious because I was interested to know. Not did I want to convince others that he is. I just posted a video where he's in a church. That's doesn't make him a religious person.  But if you have no other things to do than misunderstanding my posts then feel free to do so. I don't care.

You don't know where I work and I'm just as sure you have no idea who I live with or what knowledge I have so please stop making assumptions.

No, I don't know but from the things you say I can see that you have no clue how addiction works. There is no "just one glass of whine."

You stop drinking and get sober or you're not.  That's how it works. If you're drinking JUST ONE glass of whine, it's a relapse. An exception is controlled drinking where you communicate with your therapist/counsellor how much you are allowed to drink. And if it's like this you still have alcohol problems.

However. Sober or not. Addiction is an illness for lifetime.  

I didn't start the conversation. Look it up: 

It was said: "Don't want to start that conversation but good for him, 6 years now!"

And that's not me who started it and I don't know why we should continue about speculating if he drinks or not. 

59 minutes ago, Savannah89 said:

No, I don't know but from the things you say I can see that you have no clue how addiction works. There is no "just one glass of whine."

You stop drinking and get sober or you're not.  That's how it works. If you're drinking JUST ONE glass of whine, it's a relapse. An exception is controlled drinking where you communicate with your therapist/counsellor how much you are allowed to drink. And if it's like this you still have alcohol problems.

However. Sober or not. Addiction is an illness for lifetime.  

I didn't start the conversation. Look it up: 

It was said: "Don't want to start that conversation but good for him, 6 years now!"

And that's not me who started it and I don't know why we should continue about speculating if he drinks or not. 

No I can safely assume you can't know what I know, because mind reading sadly isn't a real thing.

You didn't bring it up, however, you were the one who started speculating about whether or not it's true. That's what happened.

Amen.

Not sure what this discussion should lead to. What is your aim?

Start a thread of his drinking problems on your own, but this isn't about it. 

36 minutes ago, Savannah89 said:

Amen.

Not sure what this discussion should lead to. What is your aim?

Start a thread of his drinking problems on your own, but this isn't about it. 

What aim do I have? I just said he's gonna die now he's had wine and you went on and on about how you're a sommelier or something.

Will we go on with the "you stole my shovel kindergarden argumentation" or do we want to continue the discussion like adults? 😆

Again: This is not about addiction or alcohol. It's about to discuss Billie and religion and I don't care if he is or not. I just wanted to discuss it. Not more, not less.

Will you go on with the "you stole my shovel kindergarden argumentation" or do we want to continue the discussion like adults? 😆

Again: This is not about addiction or alcohol. It's about to discuss Billie and religion and I don't care if he is or not. I just wanted to discuss it. Not more, not less.

I didn't do anything to you, please chill.

4 hours ago, Savannah89 said:

Unless you're actually working with Billie Joe himself, you can't presume to know about his circumstances. You're right, it's not our issue, or any of our business. And neither is his religion or lack thereof. 

Though tbh I think he just likes the aesthetics of religious imagery

And neither is his religion or lack thereof. 

Since the mods don't close the thread it's open for discussion. 😜

Religion is something he refers to in public and songs. It's a public fact to discuss.

Not are his addiction problems.  It's really personal and since we just can assume it's more speculation. 

Unless you're actually working with Billie Joe himself, you can't presume to know about his circumstances.

I just told you what I saw and this is him drinking a glass of whine. Yes, we don't know further things about it and that's why it is not helpful to discuss it.  But as all of you,  I saw it. It's like someone wanted to pretend a color is not black, it's red and all know that it is red.

Also it's my good right to tell you  without referring to him, just to my clients, that addiction is a chronical disease. It's a fact that is given by professors and doctors , not something to discuss and not referring to him. End of story. 

16 minutes ago, Savannah89 said:

Since the mods don't close the thread it's open for discussion. 😜

Religion is something he refers to in public and songs. It's a public fact to discuss.

Not are his addiction problems.  It's really personal and since we just can assume it's more speculation. 

I just told you what I saw and this is him drinking a glass of whine. Yes, we don't know further things about it and that's why it is not helpful to discuss it.  But as all of you,  I saw it. It's like someone wanted to pretend a color is not black, it's red and all know that it is red.

Also it's my good right to tell you  without referring to him, just to my clients, that addiction is a chronical disease. It's a fact that is given by professors and doctors , not something to discuss and not referring to him. End of story. 

He's definitely discussed his addicion more than religion. And anything we can say about his religious beliefs is pure speculation. It's both equally private, with the difference that religion may be less of a touchy subject to some.

You can't know if it was actually wine, unless you're in the end really a sommelier. 

And anything we can say about his religious beliefs is pure speculation

No, he answered the question if he is really religious at the Bill Maher interview that was posted, so now speculation. Also I've found many more.

He told us in Rollingstone that he just wanted to give one interview about addiction.  There are more sources about him talking about religion than his addiction.

No, he answered the question if he is really religious at the Bill Maher interview that was posted, so now speculation. Also I've found many more.

He didn't really answer though. He avoided saying yes or no, that's not a real answer 

Watch this interview again and look around the internet. There are many interviews he talked about religion and look for the interviews he talked about addiction.

I won't discuss it any longer with you. It's obvious. You just need to search on google.

Since you're not a mod and the thread is open to discuss there is no question about it.

Being religious/not religious  is less sensitive than drinking or using drugs.

If you feel any need to discuss his addiction open a thread and start speculating.

I won't.

Anyway, to get back on topic. I believe he might be a satanist. That explains everything - the fetish for christianity, his tendency to use religious symbols freely and being critical of religion.

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived