Billie and religion

Savannah89

A thing that still keeps me busy  for years is Billie and religion.

As a follower on instagram and from public photos I noticed that the armstrongs have photos of maria and other crucifixes on their fireplace. 

Jakob and Joseph are also very religious names. Even if I think Adrienne had chose them and Billie decided for Marsicano and Danger.

Is Billie religious like he goes to church or something? I can't imagine him going to church or reading the bible.

Anyone knows further details? And Adrienne and Billie aren't really religious names.  Anyone knows if Billie is baptized?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Billie Joe considers himself an agnostic. He's been very critical of religion, including in his music i.e East Jesus Nowhere. He does use a lot of religious terms or religious symbolism in his music i.e "St. Jimmy", "Jesus of Suburbia", "See the Light", "Church on Sunday". He also talks about religion on interviews, like in his interview with Bill Maher (which you can find on YouTube) in which he claims "Religion is a bunch of bullshit"

Yeah, he doesn't practice any kind of religion as far as I know. It seems as though he does find a lot of the themes and imagery in religion appealing from an aesthetic standpoint and as a songwriter. I believe he's mentioned that before as well. He likes to collect things that have religious imagery and symbolism such as rosaries and crucifixes.

15 minutes ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

Yeah, he doesn't practice any kind of religion as far as I know. It seems as though he does find a lot of the themes and imagery in religion appealing from an aesthetic standpoint and as a songwriter. I believe he's mentioned that before as well. He likes to collect things that have religious imagery and symbolism such as rosaries and crucifixes.

Yeah, during 21st CB times when they were talking about East Jesus Nowhere a lot he liked to describe it as "I have a fetish for Christianity". That collecting religious items thing has gone on a long time as well, back in Nimrod times he posted random pictures of his house on GD's site and there was a shelf of crucifixes etc along with plastic devils and skulls and Barbies lol. 

As mentioned in the video above he was brought up Catholic but whenever he's been asked about it he's always said or indicated he's agnostic. And he's been critical of (as well as mocking of in the past - Aaron Cometbus mentioned him leading a chant of "fuck Christ" at one show back in the day) organized religion.

He likes to collect things that have religious imagery and symbolism such as rosaries and crucifixes.

That's an interesting fact. I assumed it before, but wasn't sure if he just collects it. 

Although I still ask myself: Why someone (who is an agnostic) calls his children Jakob and Joseph? Is Adrienne religious? 

We probably all know that Jakob and Joseph are religious names in the bible. 

48 minutes ago, Savannah89 said:

That's an interesting fact. I assumed it before, but wasn't sure if he just collects it. 

Although I still ask myself: Why someone (who is an agnostic) calls his children Jakob and Joseph? Is Adrienne religious? 

We probably all know that Jakob and Joseph are religious names in the bible. 

Maybe he just likes those names. If you're not a religious person, it's not like you're going to avoid certain names just because they appear in the bible.

I know that Adriennes parents are pretty religious. And it's not something private. It's on the internet.

I woul have died to listen to a conversation between Billie and them. 😆

If you're not a religious person, it's not like you're going to avoid certain names just because they appear in the bible.

Well, mabye. But I wouldn't have given my kids a typical religious name to avoid let people thinking that I'm religious. But it's just my personal opinion.

idk if this was true or not, it might be something that some fans just assumed, but back in the  90's I remember hearing that Joey was named after Joey Ramone, so they didn't name him for religious reasons (although many people do think of the Ramones as gods lol). Not sure about Jakob though

I think he's said Joseph is after Adrienne's dad and Marsicano after his own.

I know there are loads of quotes on this subject, so we can probably find more with some digging. These are what I found quickly:

“I have a bit of a fetish for Christianity a little bit…” (source)

“I believe in some sort of spirituality, but I don’t know if I’m gonna end up with a hundred virgins somewhere or something! I guess I’d be happy if I just got to see a few old friends on the way.” (source)

1 hour ago, Savannah89 said:

I know that Adriennes parents are pretty religious. And it's not something private. It's on the internet.

I woul have died to listen to a conversation between Billie and them. 😆

Well, mabye. But I wouldn't have given my kids a typical religious name to avoid let people thinking that I'm religious. But it's just my personal opinion.

I get Joseph being a "typical religious name" but Jacob? I mean, I'm not religious either so I'm not familiar with the bible. How is Jacob a typical religious name?

My mum despises religion but my brother has names that are in the Bible, there's just a lot of names that originated there. Often names are chosen just because people like the sound of them, with Jakob it isn't even the Bible spelling and it was probably picked because it sounds good with Joey. And "Danger" isn't a particularly religious name lol.

32 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

idk if this was true or not, it might be something that some fans just assumed, but back in the  90's I remember hearing that Joey was named after Joey Ramone, so they didn't name him for religious reasons (although many people do think of the Ramones as gods lol). Not sure about Jakob though

I know everyone says this about Joey (and also Ramona, born the same year) and it seems fair to assume (like, they'e Ramones fans and there's even a note from Joey Ramone to Billie from when Joey was a baby where he comments about the name) but I don't think they're ever actually confirmed it. I remember seeing an old interview where they get asked and they're like "no we didn't name our children after the Ramones :rolleyes:". I couldn't be sure if they were just being typically snotty and messing with the interviewer or if they meant it though. Someone needs to ask them again. I don't know about Ramona but with Joey the name is really Joseph and Billie's mentioned it was after a family member so I think it's probably just a coincidence.

But yeah, you really can't tell someone's religious affiliation based on what they name their kids when it's just popular names that happen to have originated in the Bible like the majority of popular names in the country did. The only thing you can go on is what they've chosen to say about it. 

Adriennes Dads name is Joseph. So this would fit.

Otherwise when Billie was asked about what he would have named a daughter he said Feena. Feena isn't a really religious name and really rare.

I don't know about the US but here in Europe I don't know a single person in my country who is named Feena.

Jacob is in the bible. But it's with c not k.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob

These names are so common, I doubt anyone apart from very religious people think about how they’re names from the Bible.

Regarding Joey being named after Joey Ramone or Adrienne’s dad, it’s not a crazy idea for it to be both? Maybe they were tossing names around and thought 1) that’s a good name, 2) it’s Adrienne’s dad’s name so that’s a nice thing and 3) then we can call him Joey like Joey Ramone. 

6 hours ago, Savannah89 said:

That leaves you with many interesting options 

tumblr_inline_njj80imlSi1s7sr6z.png

^also it's how they came up with Feena

I think they chose the name because it's rare.

They just wanted to have something not everyone else had.

I would die to know what the other name would have been. If Jakob wasn't a girl. Sadly he said he can not remember.

4 hours ago, Savannah89 said:

Yes, that's probably what it was about.

However, I still don't get how they came to the name Feena. Never heard of it.

This is my 100% biased opinion but I'm glad they never had a girl because that's a terrible name. 

Regarding Jakob's name, I have my own theory. 

I was fortunate to see Billie's genealogy. I can say that a lot of names got repeated generations after generations, mostly on his mom's side of family. Just look at some of Billie's siblings (Hollie, David and Anna). They were named after past family members. «Jakob» is one of those names that got repeated too. I could be wrong, but it's plausible that Billie continued the tradition to name a child after someone from the past generations.

So anyway this thread has strayed quite far off topic now, I don't think we need a thread about past potential names for Billie's children. Back to the religion topic please, if there's anything to add about it.

I think the main point is that Billie is interested in religion for a variety of different reasons, regardless of whether he believes any of it. He's an intelligent person and seems to approach life with a critical mind, so he's not likely to just blindly follow or believe something like a lot of people who actually are religious. That's something I really admire about him and respect him for so I trust his judgement to believe or take stock in what he sees fit. As he's said before "question everything".

I'm convinced he's actually very religious but hides it because it doesn't go with the kind of image he has. He's calling it a "fetish for Christianity" bc he doesn't want to publicly admit he goes to the Sunday mass with the same feeling of purpose as any old Russian babushka but I'd bet that's how it is. 

It would be interested to know if he was reading other religious books like the Koran and what he thinks about it.

Also I would die to know if he's going to church on christmas 😆😭

Another last question to the "name issue", folks.

Is it spelled Feena or Fina? He just said something that sounded like  Feena, but I'm not sure about the spelling.

thought Feena for a girl was derived from Josephina (Phina or Feena), it's just a feminine form of Joseph.  Thoughts?

Interesting fact. Anyone else knows? I'm running out of answers here.

I've always heard Billie speak against religion, I get that he and Adrienne have a collection of icons/crosses etc but I was thrown slightly when he said in the Rolling Stone interview (I think) that he had used rehab and prayer to get through his issues.  It could be typical Billie messing with the interviewer to say prayer or maybe he found some help in prayer when times were tough, whatever it takes right?  It did make me wonder though, I actually think he said it a few times in the odd occasions he's spoken about his rehab.  

Don't want to start that conversation but good for him, 6 years now!

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived