Billie and his emotions

Savannah89

I just found a video on youtube where you can see Billie is crying (heart like a handgrenade).

What are you thinking? Was it just an exception or does he belong to the kind of guys who show emotions in public? I 've been get to  men who pretend to be hard as rocks and I'm not a fan of men who try to hide their tears because of male pride. 

I always nearly die when I see Billie crying in a video.

There is another video from the hall of fame where he tries so hard  to put it all together to avoid crying. You can hear his voice cracking.

What do you think? Is he some kind of man who cries here and then or was it more an exception?

1 hour ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

It's a trojan horse.  

Me thinks early groundwork to wake up Billy Joel Armstrong.

Spoiler

0b6180f0eeab932d2433e4d69c385436.png

I think the particular instance is from "Heart like a Handgrenade", they finish recording "Whatshername". He was crying because they had finished the album and now he didn't know what to do with himself. Also i think that record is more personal than any of 'em so finishing that must've been emotional for him. :cry:

No I'm not a robot, I'm from europe. That's why my english is not good as yours.

Sometimes I think he wants to be strong, because public and crying men is still a myth.

There are videos on youtube where you can see him nearly crying im wmuwse.  But people also said it was the sweat running from his head.

I think deep inside he is really sensitive.

Well, maybe I'm wrong.

He is sensitive and emotional, and the thing is he writes these songs which are so personal and to have thousands of people singing it back is enough to give ANY man weak knees.

That's true. It would be interesting to know if he is really open with his feeling at his family environment or if he's really open when it comes to his feelings like sadness. 

When you as a child see a parent crying it could be uncomfortable for him.

Is it still a thing that people don't expect men or parents to show emotions? I thought this was the 21st Century?

@The Insider I love you even more for The Wiggles reference.

I think it depends on where you live and the people that surround you.

I've seen really old men trying  to hide their feelings. You  barely see them crying. 

I remember a teacher at my work place  who said: "From a 5th grader I expect no crying. You become a man. Men don't cry." (And she said it to a 10 year old boy)

I went nuts because this is so old school and the complete opposite for what a teacher should stay. Boys do have feelings. They aren't rocks. 

The future generation is more open about this issue, but I don't know how Billie thinks about it. 

He is born 1972 so maybe he was told by authorities that crying is weakness and boys don't cry. 

You wouldn’t be a very good artist if you had a hard time getting in touch with your emotions. You need to be able to articulate what people feel and make it real so they feel it back you can’t fake that. So yes in general artists are sensitive by nature.

I mean, there's quite a fine line between discussing his emotions and being invasive, but then his sensitivity has been pretty well documented. If I remember right it's actually discussed in Cometbus - In China With Green Day. Plus he's been open about his mental health issues, and being sensitive often goes hand in hand with anxiety and depression.

Here are some related quotes.

“I think feeling nervous, or having anxiety, or something like that - I mean, I feel everything. And I think when you’re playing live, it kind of plays itself out - and it’s like wow, this is life. Life is awkward and unpredictable.” (source)

“I looked on the message board and some kids thought we were crazy. It’s like ‘fuck it, take the message board down.’ We decided we were going to be the biggest, best band in the world or fall flat on our faces.” (source)

“Everything I do is autobiographical unless I’m writing about a friend or something.” (source)

“Around Insomniac, I was afraid to walk around onstage. If I was to walk over to this part of the audience, that means I’m being an asshole. I was that self-conscious. Then during Nimrod, my drinking took off. I was like, “Fuck this, I’m really going for it.” I started raising my hands in the air, getting people to clap. I realized that’s what people wanted. They want to have a good time, and it’s OK to be a ringleader. All of that built up to American Idiot. It took me until I was 32 years old to actually speak for myself and do it with confidence.” (source)

I always find it funny when Green Day fans are like "he says what he wants and doesn't care what people think, so if he didn't like something we'd all know!!!" because sure, he's fought passionately for his beliefs even when the world was against him. He's famous for it. But this is also someone who's rarely rude to even the most unreasonable fans, and had his own message board taken down when fans thought American Idiot was a crazy idea :lol: He just hasn't let sensitivity get in the way of his career, which is admirable. Like, he didn't enjoy Woodstock (source), but watching the videos you'd never know. In a way, that's made him famous as much as being vocal has.

and had his own message board taken down when fans thought American Idiot was a crazy idea 

omg really? He did? 😤

I can still picture him having an account here going undercover. You never know, you know? 😜😎

I love him for talking about anxiety and panic attacks. It is a really rare thing in the western world.

Even if I still wonder how he is able to avoid watching videos of iheartradio on youtube.

I think by talking about his mental issues he's breaking a taboo. Still ask myself if he is in therapy.  I think his familiar environment helps him a lot to cope with the stress and all that.

His wife is a big support and I love her for that.

Your entry makes me think about an article in a newspaper. It was early 90s and GD played in a small club. There was one guy in the crow who called him sellouts and Billie stopped and took a security guard to exclude the guy from the rest of the concert. The security guard took the guys key (for his  flat or house) and threw the key into the grass in the direct opposite of the street. Funny story. Billie told the security to do so 😁

33 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I thought it was well estabilished he's an oversensitive little shit who cries at every wake up joke

Only in some fans' imaginations lol

He's never seemed to me like someone who tries to mask his emotions. That doesn't mean he cries over every little thing, but he also might seem like he cries more than usual because most men still don't cry in public or even around their families. He's never been one to change himself for other people's comfort or expectations or to fit some kind of "norm". It's one of his best traits in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Savannah89 said:

omg really? He did? 😤

I love him for talking about anxiety and panic attacks. It is a really rare thing in the western world.

Your entry makes me think about an article in a newspaper. It was early 90s and GD played in a small club. There was one guy in the crow who called him sellouts and Billie stopped and took a security guard to exclude the guy from the rest of the concert. The security guard took the guys key (for his  flat or house) and threw the key into the grass in the direct opposite of the street. Funny story. Billie told the security to do so 😁

I don't know the details, but I assume the board did get taken down based on the quote about it. He at least wanted to, anyway.

I agree! I know it's helped a lot of people (even me) to see a musician, who comes from a working-class background, being open about his mental health. It lets them know it's possible to be successful even if you're poor and/or mentally ill. He doesn't have to share that with us, not because he's a man but just because it's private. It's great that he chooses to.

omg I'd never heard that story. I want to read this article :lol:  

That doesn't mean he cries over every little thing, 

No, that's what I also didn't wanted to say. It's just the rough things not every little thing.

I totally love him for showing his emotions in public. It shows his human side. I bet there are other artists that would never cry in public.

omg I'd never heard that story. I want to read this article

I can send you, but the article might probably not  be in your language. But I will send you anyway, okay?

Guys, is he really crying in that first video where he thinks wmuwse? Or is it just the sweat? Someone told me, Adriennes grandpa died on the same day, but it's not verified, so don't take it for granted.

I think this was the video we were talking about:

I think Billie shows his emotions just naturally. It's funny you ask about him showing them because when I think of it the answer is pretty obviously yes to me, but it's just so natural the way his emotions show that I never really stopped to notice it. I wouldn't say he's deliberately showing them but he's not hiding them for some male pride thing. On stage especially he lets them show. You can see how he goes from joy to anger, from feeling badass to vulnerable... and yeah, he drives the audience with him, through the emotion, that's a great deal of the performance's strength. He doesn't often cry literally during gigs but you can hear the emotion in his voice in many songs, even more in songs such as Still Breathing, Wake Me Up When September Ends and 21 Guns, for example in this video (you don't see well but the audio is great and the emotion in his voice is quite palpable):

And in general he's pretty much expressive. Like here from the look on his face we can obviously tell that he's losing:

1a78b10ba13129cb0124a38651904f57.jpg 

You just wanna :hug:him

Archived