Jinxs

Green day forum advertisements

Jinxs

So i just got an ad that requested that i convert to islam online. I am not against advertising to keep the site running but that feels wrong. 

Hermione

I haven't seen the ad in question but what in particular is wrong about it? If it's just promoting Islam it's just an optional suggestion to do something/a promotion for something like any ad. Or is there something else about the ad or site it links to that concerns you?

• Like 3

Second favourite son
3 hours ago, Jinxs said:

So i just got an ad that requested that i convert to islam online. I am not against advertising to keep the site running but that feels wrong. 

A few things to note:

1. GDC doesn't actually choose which adverts get served.  That’s decided by the advertising company (I think google in this case), and is usually based on your browsing history, unless you’ve opted out, in which case it’s more just location-based
  2. If you don’t like an ad, you can always report it by clicking the little blue ‘x’ in the corner of the advert.  If there’s something genuinely concerning about the advert, this is an important tool to use (eg, if this was promoting violent Islamist extremism).  If you simply don’t like the advert because you’re scared of a religion or disagree with someone’s right to practice it, there’s not much that the ad provider can or should do.  For more info, you may want to check out this page or this one.
  3. If you don’t want to see any ads at all, you can donate towards the running’s costs of the site and be added to a member’s group which means no ads on GDC for a year.  I’d recommend checking with @Fuzz that this process actually still works though.
  4. In future, observations like this are better to post in our dedicated forum feedback/support thread, rather than as whole new topics.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

AlissaGoesRAWR
4 hours ago, Second favourite son said:

A few things to note:

1. GDC doesn't actually choose which adverts get served.  That’s decided by the advertising company (I think google in this case), and is usually based on your browsing history, unless you’ve opted out, in which case it’s more just location-based
  2. If you don’t like an ad, you can always report it by clicking the little blue ‘x’ in the corner of the advert.  If there’s something genuinely concerning about the advert, this is an important tool to use (eg, if this was promoting violent Islamist extremism).  If you simply don’t like the advert because you’re scared of a religion or disagree with someone’s right to practice it, there’s not much that the ad provider can or should do.  For more info, you may want to check out this page or this one.
  3. If you don’t want to see any ads at all, you can donate towards the running’s costs of the site and be added to a member’s group which means no ads on GDC for a year.  I’d recommend checking with @Fuzz that this process actually still works though.
  4. In future, observations like this are better to post in our dedicated forum feedback/support thread, rather than as whole new topics.

tenor.gif?itemid=10686024

• Like 1

Jane Lannister

I regret to inform you it's just your own racism

• Like 3

E X H A U S T E D
9 hours ago, Jinxs said:

Luckily, you don’t have to listen to requests. Or look at ads for more than the half-second necessary to notice them. You also don’t need to judge anyone for parts of their life that don’t actually affect you more than seeing an ad.

• Like 1

Hermione

I mean it could just be that it's a religion recruiting people that they find troublesome, not necessarily that it's Islam specifically. But like, what @Second favourite son said. 

• Like 2

WhiteTim
2 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

I regret to inform you it's just your own racism

Since when did Islam become a race? 

Jane Lannister
8 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Since when did Islam become a race? 

Since the day nazis began focusing on attacking muslim people regardless of their color/began acting as if Islam was a race.

TL;DR excuse me OP's racism is showing 

• Like 1

Jane Lannister
47 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Before I was a mod when I got ads on here they were always for dumb dating sites like Goth Dating, Emo Dating, Geek Dating lmao. That's what posting about Green Day gets you.

You are lucky though! :P My content apparently makes the algorithm think that I need Jesus and a boyfriend because all I get is Christian dating.

• Haha 2

emmericanidiot

How is it racism if it’s an observation of an advert and the OP is literally just asking a question?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Jane Lannister
11 minutes ago, emmericanidiot said:

How is it racism if it’s an observation of an advert and the OP is literally just asking a question?

Then why the OP has a problem with it if it's just a random advert? It's their own prejudice that makes them think an advert about a religion is too much.

• Like 2

Billie Hoe

I'm not a fan of any religion either but even I can recognize that the way OP said it was kind of dodgy lol not sure if they would have felt the need to make a thread about it if a young caucasian pastor was recruiting for the protestant church.

• Like 3

Montclare
4 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

You are lucky though! :P My content apparently makes the algorithm think that I need Jesus and a boyfriend because all I get is Christian dating.

We must search similar things. Mine keeps suggesting free bibles and asking if I want to meet beautiful women.

Thanks GDC, not particularly looking for either. :lol:

• Haha 2

Second favourite son

4 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

14 minutes ago, Montclare said:

We must search similar things. Mine keeps suggesting free bibles and asking if I want to meet beautiful women.

Maybe it’s all the references to Jesus of Suburbia...

• Like 2

G-L-O-R-I-A

I just had an ad wanting to recruit models aged 7-19, followed by an ad for hearing aids for people aged over 50. So apparently I've aged 30+ years within about 10 minutes.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jane Lannister
5 hours ago, Montclare said:

Yeah, I get the beautiful women ad too :lol:

Jinxs

I am not racist i have friends from every religion. I just thought the ad wasn't appropriate for GREEN DAY cause they stand for equality and everything that goes with it. But now that it's been pointed out the ad company chooses the adverts my query is no more.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

AimieeSmith
10 minutes ago, Jinxs said:

I am not racist i have friends from every religion. I just thought the ad wasn't appropriate for GREEN DAY cause they stand for equality and everything that goes with it. But now that it's been pointed out the ad company chooses the adverts my query is no more.

Green Day do stand for equality - Billie Joe wrote " Road To Acceptance" in 1989, which is a song about been anti-racism 😁

• Like 1

E X H A U S T E D
19 hours ago, emmericanidiot said:

On 8/13/2018 at 9:31 AM, Jinxs said:

No longer just an observation. If it were, the specification of Islam ‘feeling wrong’ would’ve been irrelevant, and it would’ve just been about not liking ads. Not trying to antagonize, but seriously, think before you type. If you don’t want to seem racist, don’t post something like this. And, seriously, you don’t even have to look at the ads. Or judge anyone’s choice of religion.

I actually do kinda get that you don’t love the fact that a religion wants to recruit you, likely because it can feel invasive. They weren’t forcing you, though, and you don’t have to even acknowledge it. It’s not even personal, keep in mind.

🙂

• Like 1

emmericanidiot
1 hour ago, E X H A U S T E D said:

No longer just an observation. If it were, the specification of Islam ‘feeling wrong’ would’ve been irrelevant, and it would’ve just been about not liking ads. Not trying to antagonize, but seriously, think before you type. If you don’t want to seem racist, don’t post something like this. And, seriously, you don’t even have to look at the ads. Or judge anyone’s choice of religion.

I actually do kinda get that you don’t love the fact that a religion wants to recruit you, likely because it can feel invasive. They weren’t forcing you, though, and you don’t have to even acknowledge it. It’s not even personal, keep in mind.

🙂

Well I read it as the advertisements, as in, the actual adverts popping up on the site were what was 'wrong', this one was just used as an example because it was probably the first one they noticed. I'm not about presuming people are racist when there is literally no evidence to suggest it, racism is such a strong word.

• Like 2

E X H A U S T E D
31 minutes ago, emmericanidiot said:

Well I read it as the advertisements, as in, the actual adverts popping up on the site were what was 'wrong', this one was just used as an example because it was probably the first one they noticed. I'm not about presuming people are racist when there is literally no evidence to suggest it, racism is such a strong word.

Yeah, but right above it says ‘I have nothing against adverts for funding the site.’ If it was the recruitment that’s the issue, I sorta get it, but also think that the specification was rather inappropriate.

AlissaGoesRAWR
1 hour ago, emmericanidiot said:

racism is such a strong word.

And religion doesn't equal race... :lol: 

• Haha 1