I don't care

Confessions

Hermione

Does no one here ever say any words that can be used to insult/demean someone in order to refer to/quote/discuss them? Surely even if you disagree with both there's still a distinct difference between calling or referring to someone by a slur and simply referring to or quoting a slur in a discussion? Throwing it around because you think it's funny or calling/referring to people by it helps normalise it but just saying the word uncensored instead of saying the n word in a discussion of the word itself where everyone acknowledges that it's an offensive word? It isn't the same thing.

9 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Are you fucking dumb or just stupid? The entire definition of the fucking word is a racial slur... 

I believe the point is that nobody has called anyone or referred to anyone by the word. They've only referred to the word in its uncensored form in a discussion about the word itself where others have used the euphemism "the n word". No one has been "slurred"

• Love 1

Beerjeezus
9 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Does no one here ever say any words that can be used to insult/demean someone in order to refer to/quote/discuss them? Surely even if you disagree with both there's still a distinct difference between calling or referring to someone by a slur and simply referring to or quoting a slur in a discussion? Throwing it around because you think it's funny or calling/referring to people by it helps normalise it but just saying the word uncensored instead of saying the n word in a discussion of the word itself where everyone acknowledges that it's an offensive and hurtful word? It isn't the same thing.

I'd say not censoring or censoring it isn't much of an issue as long as the person saying it acknowledges it's a racist slur. I mean, if someone said, "the n word isn't racist," their claim wouldn't be any different from saying the same and using the word, just because they censored the it. 

• Like 3

WhiteTim
14 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Does no one here ever say any words that can be used to insult/demean someone in order to refer to/quote/discuss them? Surely even if you disagree with both there's still a distinct difference between calling or referring to someone by a slur and simply referring to or quoting a slur in a discussion? Throwing it around because you think it's funny or calling/referring to people by it helps normalise it but just saying the word uncensored instead of saying the n word in a discussion of the word itself where everyone acknowledges that it's an offensive word? It isn't the same thing.

I believe the point is that nobody has called anyone or referred to anyone by the word. They've only referred to the word in its uncensored form in a discussion about the word itself where others have used the euphemism "the n word". No one has been "slurred"

Hey look another one who wants to redefine the fucking dictionary great 👍 

she said there was no racial slur used the dictionary describes the word as a racial slur who the fuck are you to redefine the dictionary? 

Hermione
9 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Hey look another one who wants to redefine the fucking dictionary great 👍 

she said there was no racial slur used the dictionary describes the word as a racial slur who the fuck are you to redefine the dictionary? 

Uhh, I think it's just a slight language barrier. I don't believe anyone here is unaware that it's a racial slur. It's more like no one has used the word as a slur (to insult people or refer to people in a demeaning way) in this discussion. 

• Like 1

WhiteTim

Look this topic is touchy subject since I live in the south and still see so much racism here but to say such bullshit as “no racial slur was used” goes against the whole literal definition of the word sorry but you can’t change the dictionary just to fit you 

1 minute ago, Hermione said:

Uhh, I think it's just a slight language barrier. I don't believe anyone here is unaware that it's a racial slur. It's more like no one has used the word as a slur (to insult people or refer to people in a demeaning way) in this discussion.

Then she should say “there was no racist intent” don’t say “no racial slur was used” when the fucking definition of the word literally starts with racial slur 

@The Bellie I apologize for asking if you were dumb or stupid that was wrong of me and I shouldn’t have let my first reaction be the first thing to post 

Beerjeezus
5 minutes ago, Sarcasm said:

I always start my conversations with "I'm not racist" just to let people know for sure that I am not a racist 

I'm not racist, but

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Scumbag On A Mission

I’ve been making an effort to refrain from getting involved in this debate, but I feel very strongly about what I’m reading so I’m going to weigh in as respectfully as possible. (I’m not 100% sure how this all began and wasn’t even aware of this thread until fairly recently so forgive me/politely correct me if I’ve misinterpreted anything)

If I’m correct to infer that several members of this community are going to a discord server to  trash talk a GDC member for using a racial slur, then that’s a pretty juvenile way to retaliate when someone says something that you find offensive or insensitive. From what I’ve read, @The Bellie never had any intention of being degrading or discriminatory towards anyone, and while I understand that some people would consider it insensitive to use the n word in any context, there are also people who believe that there’s nothing disrespectful about using the n word so long as it’s not directed towards a black person with a blatant intention to disrespect or belittle them. Whether you agree of disagree with that policy does not alter the fact that (in my opinion) The Bellie never intended to disrespect anyone and was using the n word in a context that she saw as acceptable. If you think it was wrong of her to use the n word regardless of context, there’s no reason you can’t express that to her without maintaining civility. What The Bellie said may have been interpreted as racially insensitive, but I really don’t believe she was motivated by a desire to offend anyone when she said what she did. It came across as disrespectful, however I don’t think there was any real intention to disrespect. 

(Once again, this is just based on what I’ve observed and how I interpreted things, and if I missed something that could potentially change my interpretation of the conversation, feel free to fill me in/enlighten me)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Hermione
5 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Regardless if you feel a particular word is offensive or not, or racist or not, I just don’t get how the “freedom” to say what you want is more important than simply being respectful to a population of people who might take offense to the word? 

Like, even if you don’t agree with the censorship, is it that hard to just be a decent person and slightly inconvenience yourself, considering what minority populations have been through and are still going through? :confused:

I personally still can’t wrap my head around calling a singular person a plural “they,” but if that’s what a trans person wants to be called it’s not really that big of a deal to me that I’m going to argue about it with them. I’m just going to say it. Because it really doesn’t affect me at all.

Does this apply to every slur though? Do you always say *letter*-word for every offensive word or do you refer to other offensive words uncensored when discussing them? I understand saying n-word etc out of being considerate either way. But I don't get how people can get on someone and trash them for not censoring it in that context unless they never refer to any slurs or offensive words uncensored themselves (beyond just pointing out their feelings about it or letting them know it might offend people).

Like, I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be censored. But it's disingenuous to pretend that referring to a slur in a discussion is the same as calling someone a slur or means they support it in some way or secretly want to call people that etc when everyone knows the difference when it comes to referring to other offensive words.

AlissaGoesRAWR
6 hours ago, Hermione said:

Does this apply to every slur though? Do you always say *letter*-word for every offensive word or do you refer to other offensive words uncensored when discussing them? I understand saying n-word etc out of being considerate either way. But I don't get how people can get on someone and trash them for not censoring it in that context unless they never refer to any slurs or offensive words uncensored themselves (beyond just pointing out their feelings about it or letting them know it might offend people).

Like, I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be censored. But it's disingenuous to pretend that referring to a slur in a discussion is the same as calling someone a slur or means they support it in some way or secretly want to call people that etc when everyone knows the difference when it comes to referring to other offensive words.

My post wasn’t really aimed at that discussion because I’m not going to waste my time arguing about gossip on a Discord server full of people who couldn’t even take an April Fool’s joke. It was just a general thought.

But to answer your question and maybe elaborate on my point a bit: I honestly rarely discuss any other slurs in real life. Or any slurs, really. I guess I’ve talked about some words used against gay people with my sister and her girlfriend and not censored them. But if she told me “hey, can you not say that word, it upsets me to even hear it?” I wouldn’t say “we’re just discussing it, I didn’t call you it, I’m not homophobic!!!” I’d just... say “OK” and not say it again and move on because it really doesn’t affect me to not say it. 

If I recall correctly, nobody called someone a racist for saying that word in this thread. They said the word itself is racist and asked the person to not say it. (That being said, it was also white people saying it, which has made me a bit uncomfortable to watch because it’s almost like a “white people to the rescue!” situation where we’re all speaking for the minorities, in a sense.)

• Like 3

Hermione

Like, I agree that it's often considerate to censor words and have no problem with anyone doing it, I do it myself. I get that there's an argument for just never saying certain words and respect anyone who chooses that.

I just think that if someone doesn't wholly agree that doesn't automatically mean they're hateful or secretly racist or should be shit talked. Whether any mention of a word regardless of context helps normalise its usage, for example, isn't an absolute fact that everyone agrees on. And what about other offensive terms that people might be happy to refer to uncensored, say the word bitch which is used to demean women, yet I can't imagine a man who said bitch while discussing that the word was used in a song and acknowledging it as offensive being called out for not saying b word. Doesn't that bring up an inconsistency? There's more than one legitimate point of view on this subject and not everyone has to agree.

• Like 1

Eva
On 4/29/2019 at 11:00 AM, Trotsky said:

I think we all agree there. I can't speak for Eva or anyone else but I don't think anyone is saying that someone should go to jail or be fined or something like that cause of the words they use, I think the point here is that words have consequences beyond what the speaker intends. 

If you say you aren't racist and don't have any racist intent then I'm going to believe you and take that at face value. But even if you have no malicious intent, what you say can still contribute to things beyond our own control.

All I've said is that you shouldn't say the word. Obviously I don't think you should go to jail or be imprisoned for saying it. I'm not a fascist. All I've been saying is that the word is racist, carries racist connotations, and shouldn't be said unless you're wanting to be racist and if that's the case, my hot take is maybe don't be racist.

Your last part basically hits what I've been trying to say this whole time. Whether or not you are racist or mean something to be racist, the word has racist connotations and is going to be misinterpreted, which I think is obvious from this entire conversation, so if you don't want to be characterized as racist and offend or hurt Black people, just....don't say it. Because everyone sees it as racist.

On 4/29/2019 at 11:30 AM, Hermione said:

Hi, this is a reminder that The Bellie used the word explicitly when this thread began. Like, LITERALLY used it and angrily defended their actions WHILE using it UNCENSORED. I'm tired and I literally cannot believe this is a conversation I have been having in the year 2019 where I have to continuously defend myself but The Bellie was NOT QUOTING ANYTHING. They USED the word, period.

I'm not using caps because I'm angry at you but I'm exhausted because you (and others) keep bringing up whether we should censor the word and whether anyone has even said it, blah blah blah, whatever. Okay. Use it if you will but there is literally no debate on whether or not this person used this word. Go back a couple of pages because they used it in this thread of their own free will while not quoting anyone.

Hermione
16 minutes ago, Eva said:

Hi, this is a reminder that The Bellie used the word explicitly when this thread began. Like, LITERALLY used it and angrily defended their actions WHILE using it UNCENSORED. I'm not into debating this anymore because I'm tired and I literally cannot believe this is a conversation I have been having in the year 2019 but The Bellie was NOT QUOTING ANYTHING. They USED the word, period.

I'm not using caps because I'm angry at you but I'm exhausted because you (and others) keep bringing up whether we should censor the word and whether anyone has even said it, blah blah blah, whatever. Okay. Use it if you will but there is literally no debate on whether or not this person used this word. Go back a couple of pages because they used it in this thread of their own free will while not quoting anyone.

I didn't say the word wasn't said. I said no one was slurred, which is what I believe The Bellie meant when she said there have been no racial slurs. This discussion didn't originally start several weeks ago because someone called or referred to anyone by the n word or used it as a joke/to be edgy etc. It started because The Bellie asked a question about its appearance in the song American Eulogy without changing it to the n word. The word has been said uncensored because it's the word being discussed and not everyone agrees that it's necessary to censor it in that context (which is the crux of this argument).

WhiteTim
9 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I didn't say the word wasn't said. I said no one was slurred, which is what I believe The Bellie meant when she said there have been no racial slurs. This discussion didn't originally start several weeks ago because someone called or referred to anyone by the n word or used it as a joke/to be edgy etc. It started because The Bellie asked a question about its appearance in the song American Eulogy without changing it to the n word. The word has been said uncensored because it's the word being discussed and not everyone agrees that it's necessary to censor it in that context (which is the crux of this argument).

But the definition of the word is a racial slur so saying no racial slur was used is incorrect and it’s fucked up that you and other white people on here are trying to redefine the definition of the word by saying no racial slur was used  

yes The Bellie may not have used it in an racist manner but it still doesn’t take away that it is an racial slur not matter how much you seem to be tearing up the dictionary 

You’re acting like the KKK members here in Texas who keep saying the N word isn’t a racist word at all 

• Like 1

Hermione
13 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

But the definition of the word is a racial slur so saying no racial slur was used is incorrect and it’s fucked up that you and other white people on here are trying to redefine the definition of the word by saying no racial slur was used  

yes The Bellie may not have used it in an racist manner but it still doesn’t take away that it is an racial slur not matter how much you seem to be tearing up the dictionary 

You’re acting like the KKK members here in Texas who keep saying the N word isn’t a racist word at all 

I'm not saying the n word isn't a racial slur and I'm not saying it wasn't said. I'm only saying that the reason it was said in this thread is because the word itself was being discussed. It wasn't said aimed at or in reference to anyone.

AlissaGoesRAWR
51 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I just think that if someone doesn't wholly agree that doesn't automatically mean they're hateful or secretly racist or should be shit talked. 

I don't think anyone has said that though?

Little Boy Named Airplane

So can I say the word?

• Haha 1

WhiteTim

To change the topic 

one of the newest confessions was stolen from my Facebook but had added words to it whoever it is you’re a damn thief 

• Love 1

Hermione
1 hour ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I don't think anyone has said that though?

I thought The Bellie was shit talked in the chat over it and that was the reason for the discussion going on. I haven't even seen the chat though so whatevs

edit: yeah I don't mind moving on

I don't care

"can we just agree that racist terms are not okay in any sense & should be left out of conversations? Idgaf if you're okay with it or whatever. it's offensive to others and sometimes you have to get your head out of your ass to be a kind empathetic human being."

Eva

my GDC confession is that we are all tired

• Like 2