Could we get a 25 year Dookie anniversary documentary dvd ?

UncleMassimo

I have a weird feeling Green Day allegedly could be in the process of making a special blu-ray release called "25 years on the toilet"  for Dookie's 25th anniversary  next year.

Legend has it the tittle was inspired from the first 60 seconds of  the first ever show of the Dookie tour ! . It was finally allowed to be viewed on You tube after all this time  - the taper had been not allowed to share this because Green Day were debating whether or not to pursue to project. 

I pray this hunch is true ! ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, they've just had the Green Day the Early Years documentary out, and Turn It Around: The Story of East Bay Punk. And they've demonstrated that they don't tend to care about or do anything for anniversaries like ever (the one example I can think of was playing Dookie in full, but even then they only did it at a few shows and didn't even get the year right). So I wouldn't have guessed that another documentary would come soon. 

Where's the "legend" you've heard come from though? Are you just guessing because it's 25 years coming up or is there other info that points to it?

29 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I mean, they've just had the Green Day the Early Years documentary out, and Turn It Around: The Story of East Bay Punk. And they've demonstrated that they don't tend to care about or do anything for anniversaries like ever (the one example I can think of was playing Dookie in full, but even then they only did it at a few shows and didn't even get the year right). So I wouldn't have guessed that another documentary would come soon. 

Where's the "legend" you've heard come from though? Are you just guessing because it's 25 years coming up or is there other info that points to it?

Just guessing 

1 hour ago, UncleMassimo said:

It was finally allowed to be viewed on You tube after all this time  - the taper had been not allowed to share this because Green Day were debating whether or not to pursue to project. 

No the guy couldn't upload it because the taper didn't want to the whole thing out there. Green Day didn't stop it at all

I know the guy who taped that show. That is most definitely NOT why he didn’t upload the show until now 😛 

Green Day is one of the few bands that I know that doesn't care too much about their legacy in matter of memorabilia or making stuff. They even don't care about bootlegging. They are selfish about broadcasting rights but that was they were part of Reprise/Warner. 

Also, as institution, Green Day likes to keep things low key. No fancy shit, no special stages, very to none pyro. So, with all thay stuff, is very unlikely that something of that happens. They struggle with making a live dvd and clearly they don't have the capacity or desire of making something bigger.

If Green Day really were keen on celebrating Dookie, they'd probably just re-release the album again. It would be nice for this documentary to be true, but it's unlikely.

I would love to see something like this, but I don't think it's gonna happen. 

I’m still waiting for that RevRad tour DVD we’re never going to get 😕

Green Day aren't really a band who like to dwell on the past or even think about their legacy. As far as they're concerned, it's about the future. We had the yellow vinyl for the 20th anniversary of Nimrod, and recently had the Greatest Hits album, so I'd say that's all they have planned as far as the past goes.

Of course I wouldn't say no to some sort of recognition of Dookie's 25th (or American Idiot's 15th, or 21CB's 10th), I just dunno if it's likely.

37 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

Of course I wouldn't say no to some sort of recognition of Dookie's 25th (or American Idiot's 15th, or 21CB's 10th), I just dunno if it's likely.

It would be really cool if they put out a compilation of outtakes from these albums for their anniversaries.

3 hours ago, ¡Jenn! said:

Green Day aren't really a band who like to dwell on the past or even think about their legacy. As far as they're concerned, it's about the future. We had the yellow vinyl for the 20th anniversary of Nimrod, and recently had the Greatest Hits album, so I'd say that's all they have planned as far as the past goes.

Except for that one time they played some shows to makr Dookie's 20th anniversary. I don't think a 25th anniversary is out of the question. It's unlikely though.

What I'd want is a deluxe remastered edition with an official release of the demos, plus B-Sides, outtakes (hopefully some unreleased ones), and the entire Janus Landing, St. Petersburg concert (the concert all the live Dookie-era B-Sides are from). That would be a dream come true for me.

so, you're saying they got the "tittle" dookie from a show they played, days after their album, called dookie, came out? 

seems legit.

7 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Except for that one time they played some shows to makr Dookie's 20th anniversary. I don't think a 25th anniversary is out of the question. It's unlikely though.

Well, true, but as Hermione said it wasn’t even the right year :lol: If they were gonna mark it in some way, a quick little re-release is probably more likely than a full documentary that involves them reminiscing, IMO.

9 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

Well, true, but as Hermione said it wasn’t even the right year :lol: If they were gonna mark it in some way, a quick little re-release is probably more likely than a full documentary that involves them reminiscing, IMO.

I said that but it is also a good point I didn't think of that they already marked the 20th anniversary in a relatively big way (even if it was the wrong year :lol:), so maybe 25 years is a bit soon to do something again? Like they've kind of already done it. I agree something small is more likely, especially when they've already released/been involved with other documentaries quite recently.

5 hours ago, Bang_Shangalang said:

so, you're saying they got the "tittle" dookie from a show they played, days after their album, called dookie, came out? 

seems legit.

No. They were talking about '25 Years on the Toilet', the other "tittle" mentioned in the OP. But thanks for playing.

• 3 weeks later...

I highly doubt Dookie will get anything beyond playing the album in full for it’s 20th anniversary, which was a pretty special thing.  The album already sounds perfect so need for remixing/remastering, and the b-sides and demos are pretty readily available already.

I’d much rather see some kind of special rereleases for 39 Smooth and/or Kerplunk for their 30th anniversaries.

I’d love to hear Kerplunk re recorded with the kind of equipment they’ve got available now (I.e. give the whole album the treatment Welcome to Paradise received for Dookie) and release that as a 2-disc 30th anniversary edition with the original recordings on the other disc.

Personally, I would prefer the long overdue Jaded in Chicago uncut DVD.

On 7/7/2018 at 2:57 AM, Hermione said:

they've demonstrated that they don't tend to care about or do anything for anniversaries like ever

Is there some sort of reason for this? I'd be willing to buy literally every album again if it came with a disc of demos/studio takes, ect. Is it Green Day or the label who's leaving money on the table?

20 minutes ago, Gwen Stacy said:

Is there some sort of reason for this? I'd be willing to buy literally every album again if it came with a disc of demos/studio takes, ect. Is it Green Day or the label who's leaving money on the table?

I think they'd rather just get on with new projects. Plus it probably isn't profitable to re-release stuff etc too often, since not everything will automatically sell well or it might take away from something new they're promoting. I'm sure whenever they see an opportunity to release something (for example God's Favourite Band) with a good chance of success they do but it wouldn't necessarily pay off to do it every time there was an album anniversary. 

I know I just said it was unlikely but then Tre went ahead and posted this to his Instagram so maybe they are doing something 😂

7 hours ago, tomdsjames said:

I know I just said it was unlikely but then Tre went ahead and posted this to his Instagram so maybe they are doing something 😂

You think? 😄

44 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

You think? 😄

Every now and then I’m actually happy to be proved wrong 😄

the media is on the bandwagon with this story.  If true, then it would be a very short concert!  LOL

Green Day tease 25th anniversary Dookie tour

Next year will mark the 25th anniversary of Green Day’s seminal 1994 album Dookie, which introduced a generation of disaffected teens to “Longview”, “Basket Case”, “When I Come Around”, and a whole slew of other songs 30-somethings still sing to this day. You’ll probably still get to hear those cuts if you catch the still-thriving pop-punk outfit live, but what of the album’s deep cuts? Who doesn’t love “Havin’ a Blast” or “F.O.D.” or salacious secret track “All By Myself”? Well, there’s a good chance you’ll be hearing those soon, too.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/07/green-day-dookie-tour-tease/

Are Green Day planning a ‘Dookie’ album anniversary tour?

https://www.altpress.com/news/green-day-teasing-dookie-album-anniversary-tour/

Green Day Teases Band Practice of ‘Dookie’ In Full

Is a 25th anniversary tour in the works?

https://alt1053.radio.com/blogs/tiana-timmerberg/green-day-teases-band-practice-dookie-full

Archived