The Demo Rundown

Mega Man

Do alternate versions count for demos? Or is it completely something else?
I'm thinking about 21st Century Breakdown. There is an alternate version with different lyrics if I remember right.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

Do alternate versions count for demos? Or is it completely something else?
I'm thinking about 21st Century Breakdown. There is an alternate version with different lyrics if I remember right.

Yes there was, I think that’s a demo

11 hours ago, GDT said:

I believe a whole set of 21st Century Breakdown demos exist. There's a bunch of pre-21CBD release magazine interviews that point to its existence. Here's one that I can currently find, http://www.greendayauthority.com/articles/111/6/

Also, I'm pretty sure that if the 21CBD demos exist, the released version of Hearts Collide is a part of it. It sounds similar, especially the guitar tone. They sound like they were recorded in the same session.

Awesome find, I never knew the track list for the demos was out there in plain sight. I believe these demos are the same source as the leaked 21CB demo; they describe it as "starting almost like a lullaby", which definitely fits the piano intro of the early version than the guitar intro of the final version. I'm also certain "March of the Dogs" is "East Jesus Nowhere"

10 hours ago, Todd said:

Except both were officially released as b-sides, not labeled as demos. Good Riddance was from the Insomniac session and Maria was from the Warning B-sides session at Catbox studios, where Outsider and Scumbag were also recorded

Ah ok. Wasn't sure if those still counted as demos or not. 

11 hours ago, Mega Man said:

Awesome find, I never knew the track list for the demos was out there in plain sight. I believe these demos are the same source as the leaked 21CB demo; they describe it as "starting almost like a lullaby", which definitely fits the piano intro of the early version than the guitar intro of the final version. I'm also certain "March of the Dogs" is "East Jesus Nowhere"

Yeah, March Of The Dogs is the original title for East Jesus Nowhere.

Does anyone have info on demos/unreleased tracks/working titles? I'm working on a website to catalog album sessions.

Archived