What did you do before Green Day?

Reverend Twitch

I've been a fan all my life and they have basically shaped the person I am so I really don't know what I was before I first listened to this man scream about masturbation.  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, technically Green Day has existed for longer than myself, so before Green Day I didn't exist :ga:

I wandered aimlessly in confusion looking for an identity.

Have any of Green Day replied to this thread? No? Then I replied to this thread before Green Day. 

Before Green Day I didn't have any interests of note. Green Day was the first thing I became a fan of, really. 

What I did before them was flick through the music channels hoping to find a good tune. Then one day I found Holiday and that was that :D 

I got into Green Day when I was 9, before that I was listening to Weird Al and Green Jelly

Before Green Day I thought Jesse McCartney was the best singer in the world until heard American Idiot. Hey, I was a fifth grader lol

I heard of them long before I knew what they were.  I remember seeing a girl in elementary school with a Green Day shirt on.  Must have been fourth or fifth grade when Dookie or Insomniac came out....

If you mean before they were a band, Billie and Mike have been making music together since 1986, and I was one year old. 

If you mean before they changed the name to Green Day, I lived four years before that, and had no clue they existed.  

If you mean before I became a fan, well, I did a lot of things the first 11 years of my life. 

Musically, my earliest memories were of Micheal Jackson, The Osmonds, Sonny and Cher, Molly Hatchet, ZZ Top, Buddy Holly, Allman Brothers, B-52s, Robert Palmer, Peter Gabriel, George Harrison, The Monkess, Johnny Cash.....

Then I discovered and fell in love with my 'own' music of 1996.....think of any song that came out that year.  I loved it.  Pop, rock, rap, country, I was ear-gobbling it all.  

My earliest discoveries in 90s rock came from an odd source:   Sheryl Crow and Alanis Morrisette.  Those two were my introduction to "Alt. Rock".  If it weren't for Sheryl and Alanis, I probably wouldn't have heard Green Day when I did!  

Before I found these guys, Coolie and Jewel were getting spins in my boom box (God I feel old!),  Collective Soul, Smashing Pumpkins, Hootie, No Doubt.....Dave Matthews and The Wallflowers were early contenders for "favorite band".......Tonic and Sublime, Long Beach Dub All Stars, Fiona Apple, Better than Ezra, R. Kelly...........

Matchbox Twenty were in the early runnings for my #1 spot, as were Third Eye Blind and Aerosmith.   

But then......GREEN DAY.  

All those other bands fell by the wayside and starting sucking either after a few albums or they always sucked and only had one good song, haha. 

Green Day were my #2 or #3 band for a while, with Everclear and Barenaked Ladies battling it out for the better spot.   Unfortunately both of those bands suffered major lineup catastrophes that they could never recover from.  I didn't mind that they fell out of the charts and limelight, but their late career albums became some of the worst crap you could imagine.  

Green Day have been one of my favorites from first listen, and have been my top choice since 2001 or so.  

22 years of fandom, and they've never put out a bad album, much less some of the absolute BS the other "Alt. Rock" bands have released.  

Green DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

1 hour ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

I heard of them long before I knew what they were.  I remember seeing a girl in elementary school with a Green Day shirt on.  Must have been fourth or fifth grade when Dookie or Insomniac came out....

If you mean before they were a band, Billie and Mike have been making music together since 1986, and I was one year old. 

If you mean before they changed the name to Green Day, I lived four years before that, and had no clue they existed.  

If you mean before I became a fan, well, I did a lot of things the first 11 years of my life. 

Musically, my earliest memories were of Micheal Jackson, The Osmonds, Sonny and Cher, Molly Hatchet, ZZ Top, Buddy Holly, Allman Brothers, B-52s, Robert Palmer, Peter Gabriel, George Harrison, The Monkess, Johnny Cash.....

Then I discovered and fell in love with my 'own' music of 1996.....think of any song that came out that year.  I loved it.  Pop, rock, rap, country, I was ear-gobbling it all.  

My earliest discoveries in 90s rock came from an odd source:   Sheryl Crow and Alanis Morrisette.  Those two were my introduction to "Alt. Rock".  If it weren't for Sheryl and Alanis, I probably wouldn't have heard Green Day when I did!  

Before I found these guys, Coolie and Jewel were getting spins in my boom box (God I feel old!),  Collective Soul, Smashing Pumpkins, Hootie, No Doubt.....Dave Matthews and The Wallflowers were early contenders for "favorite band".......Tonic and Sublime, Long Beach Dub All Stars, Fiona Apple, Better than Ezra, R. Kelly...........

Matchbox Twenty were in the early runnings for my #1 spot, as were Third Eye Blind and Aerosmith.   

But then......GREEN DAY.  

All those other bands fell by the wayside and starting sucking either after a few albums or they always sucked and only had one good song, haha. 

Green Day were my #2 or #3 band for a while, with Everclear and Barenaked Ladies battling it out for the better spot.   Unfortunately both of those bands suffered major lineup catastrophes that they could never recover from.  I didn't mind that they fell out of the charts and limelight, but their late career albums became some of the worst crap you could imagine.  

Green Day have been one of my favorites from first listen, and have been my top choice since 2001 or so.  

22 years of fandom, and they've never put out a bad album, much less some of the absolute BS the other "Alt. Rock" bands have released.  

Green DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Read this and it pretty much sums me up too. I'm slightly older, but started getting into music same time as you (94-95). My first couple albums include most of what you listed. My main spots were Weezer and Blues Traveler. Green Day came along and inspired me to learn to play guitar. I learned how to play to Dookie and took it form there. Been a fan ever since.

1 hour ago, god61 said:

Read this and it pretty much sums me up too. I'm slightly older, but started getting into music same time as you (94-95). My first couple albums include most of what you listed. My main spots were Weezer and Blues Traveler. Green Day came along and inspired me to learn to play guitar. I learned how to play to Dookie and took it form there. Been a fan ever since.

Weezer and Blues Traveler, woo-hoo!  I'm going to explore them (Traveler) a little more soon.   

Before Green Day I rocked out to Nsync. Who am I kidding? I still rock out to Nsync!

2 hours ago, kaylubd said:

Before Green Day I rocked out to Nsync. Who am I kidding? I still rock out to Nsync!

Same! 

Previous to Green Day my number one obsession was rap music and in particular Eminem. I'm still very into rap but Green Day moved it down a notch.

4 hours ago, Hermione said:

Previous to Green Day my number one obsession was rap music and in particular Eminem. I'm still very into rap but Green Day moved it down a notch.

I used to be into way more rap too, but I just stopped listening to it. Considering what's going on now, doesn't seem like I'm missing much. The only rapper I actively keep up with is Eminem and his last album...well.....

On 6/23/2018 at 7:37 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

Before Green Day I had a life 😕

Seriously. It's fine that the person you are leads you to loving Green Day but that's wholly different than being the person you are BECAUAE you love Green Day.  

16 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

I used to be into way more rap too, but I just stopped listening to it. Considering what's going on now, doesn't seem like I'm missing much. The only rapper I actively keep up with is Eminem and his last album...well.....

Yes it's sad times being an Eminem fan :P. Rap is still probably about 50% of what I listen to though. I'm old so I mostly listen to old rap but there's some new artists I like as well, love some Kendrick Lamar. Green Day just took over as the number one obsession and has yet to be topped, seems unlikely that it ever will be now.

Let's see:

1. I was born;

2. I attended school;

3. I got a job;

Pretty quick summary.

Archived