Time to vote in the GDC Awards 2018! Voting closes October 18th Read more... ×
MillenniumFan

Greta Van Fleet

MillenniumFan

Just wanted to start this thread, as I might not be the only one who is also a fan of or at least intrigued by this band. The Led Zeppelin comparisons aside, they seem like very nice, likable, down-to-earth and talented guys. And to kick things off, here's a recent radio broadcast, where they played a few songs live (in the studio) and talked to the host a bit. It's probably the best full length recording we have at this point, since it's pro-shot and well mixed.

Then there's also one video (I think the only thing from that gig) from PinkPop

MillenniumFan

Joe.

Can’t see past the led zeppelin influence to get into them myself

• Like 1

MillenniumFan

That's why I don't think they'll catch on here either, because a lot of people have that exact problem, very understandably I might add. For some reason, I'm happy that I don't. And I absolutely love Led Zeppelin. I wouldn't even compare these kids to the greatness of Led Zep back in the day at this stage. I think I've just gradually grown to like the guys more and more and become interested in where they might go in the future. As I said, they seem both very nice and talented, but ambitious, which isn't a bad thing. It's very possible that all they'll do in the coming years is release more ''Led Zeppelin Tribute / Cover'' albums or songs and everyone (including me) will eventually grow tired of them. But maybe they'll actually evolve and find a more unique sound, even if it's only slightly different. Who knows... As it stands right now, I find them pleasant enough to listen to, both in studio and live and at this stage I definitely prefer them to most original rock bands / artists from the 70s that are still ''active'' today (i.e either releasing music, touring or both). I think at some point it's simply time to either bury and forget the original genre, or embrace ''young blood''. It's that simple...

MillenniumFan

Just released their new single (at least on YouTube). The debut album is coming soon, I guess! I have to say, I'm once again really digging this! 

Maybe a filmed live concert is on the way too (spot the cameras). People are talking about DVD or the likes, I could also imagine maybe MTV world stage performance or something similar...

Thatsername

I've listened to some of their stuff recently and I really like it! Flower Power is such a great song. I love the classic rock vibe and even though you can't deny the Led Zeppelin influence, they still have a very unique sound and they are very talented. I'll definitely keep an eye on them and try to check them out when they tour anywhere close to me.

• Love 1

MillenniumFan

Yes, Flower Power is great! Have you seen the beautiful live rendition of that song (with piano) in the KCRW radio broadcast above? Or the extended solo of Edge Of Darkness on any live version? Both exemplify that these guys do have talent and are more than capable of performing their songs live (in my opinion). Like you, I'm also keeping an eye on them, both for new releases and possible tour dates in my area.

• Like 1

Cult Hero

This band is proof that you still don’t have to sound modern or even alternative to be popular. You can’t kill the 60’s and 70’s. Punk in mainstream has gotten really stale. Hopefully this gets more mainstream labels back into signing rock acts with complete creative control. That’s a big part of the problem, talent is scared of the music industry environment. Bring back rock in its truest and most innocent form! 

Joe.
30 minutes ago, Cult Hero said:

This band is proof that you still don’t have to sound modern or even alternative to be popular. You can’t kill the 60’s and 70’s. Punk in mainstream has gotten really stale. Hopefully this gets more mainstream labels back into signing rock acts with complete creative control. That’s a big part of the problem, talent is scared of the music industry environment. Bring back rock in its truest and most innocent form! 

Maybe it’ll lead to more acts heavily influenced by the past, just would be nice for GVF to use their inspirations to forge their own sound rather than make 70s music

Cult Hero
On 6/26/2018 at 2:53 PM, Joe. said:

Can’t see past the led zeppelin influence to get into them myself

You do realize that pretty much all other bands today could only ever dream of sounding that much like zeppelin, right?

4 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Maybe it’ll lead to more acts heavily influenced by the past, just would be nice for GVF to use their inspirations to forge their own sound rather than make 70s music

I  don’t think its really possible to make music better than 70’s music, but I see what you mean. I do sort of hope they have some side projects too

Joe.
4 hours ago, Cult Hero said:

You do realize that pretty much all other bands today could only ever dream of sounding that much like zeppelin, right?

I  don’t think its really possible to make music better than 70’s music, but I see what you mean. I do sort of hope they have some side projects too

I guess my and others’ point is that if I wanted to hear Led Zeppelin, I’d listen to them. I’d much rather bands took that influence and did something more original with it.

Thats just me though, I don’t feel like music peaked in the 70s

• Like 1

kaylubd
6 hours ago, Joe. said:

I guess my and others’ point is that if I wanted to hear Led Zeppelin, I’d listen to them. I’d much rather bands took that influence and did something more original with it.

Thats just me though, I don’t feel like music peaked in the 70s

This is why I can't get into them. They're not bad, but as you said, if I want to listen to Led Zep, I'll listen to Led Zep. 

Cult Hero

I really like Talk on the Street for some reason. It’s the one song that’s most like a specific zeppelin song, but it has a much different feel to it. Change is gonna come is also really good. It’s the song that’s most un-zeppelin like. All the songs are good really. Refreshing to hear great straight up rock music for a change. The comparisons don’t bother me cause I know how hard it is to make music like that and perform it so well. Nice to hear such high ambition

• Like 1

Cult Hero

Their rock am ring concert is unreal

Thatsername
On 7/18/2018 at 5:54 PM, MillenniumFan said:

Yes, Flower Power is great! Have you seen the beautiful live rendition of that song (with piano) in the KCRW radio broadcast above? Or the extended solo of Edge Of Darkness on any live version? Both exemplify that these guys do have talent and are more than capable of performing their songs live (in my opinion). Like you, I'm also keeping an eye on them, both for new releases and possible tour dates in my area.

Damn, I just noticed that they'll play three concerts in Germany in November, but I'm out of the country that week. I'll have to catch them next time.

MillenniumFan

Ok, their debut album has now been officially announced. It's going to be called ''Anthem of a Peaceful Army'' and is going to be released on October 19. Really excited about this album, it's going to be released on my birthday as well, so that's cool :happy:

All the info regarding tracklist, producers etc.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/09/greta-van-fleet-debut-album-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army-new-song-watching-over-stream/

So far, the new album is coming along nicely. Next released song is ''Watching Over'' (which as the tracklist reveals is only one of the album's songs that they've already been playing live for a while). Really looking forward to ''Lover, Leaver, Taker, Believer'' as well, because that's another song that I really enjoyed from the live recordings. 

• Like 1

MillenniumFan

Ok, the next song to be released is this: "Lover, Leaver", which I believe will have two parts on the album (one at the end as well). For those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend watching the live version of this song, both at the KROQ concert and at Rock Am Ring, it's an excellent song live!

Cult Hero

Anthem is out, really good. Does anybody know if they've played any of the other three tracks I know that I don't think I've heard live yet? Like Age of Man, The New Day, and Brave New World? I may have heard some of those without knowing the titles

MillenniumFan

Yes, I really like Anthem, it's not at all heavy or anything, but just pure peace and bliss. Anyway, no, to my knowledge (and according to setlist.fm) they haven't yet played any of these songs you mentioned live, nor indeed Anthem. But now that the album is out in 2 weeks, I could imagine them cracking out the odd new song in the coming shows. Then again, there's nothing to say that they will end up playing all of their songs live...

Cult Hero
5 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

Yes, I really like Anthem, it's not at all heavy or anything, but just pure peace and bliss. Anyway, no, to my knowledge (and according to setlist.fm) they haven't yet played any of these songs you mentioned live, nor indeed Anthem. But now that the album is out in 2 weeks, I could imagine them cracking out the odd new song in the coming shows. Then again, there's nothing to say that they will end up playing all of their songs live...

Ok thanks. I might have seen a few hours ago that they played at least a preview of brave new world actually, but it could’ve been wrong. I didn’t listen to the video, and I’m not even sure I remember which song it said it was. I may just wait to hear till the whole albums out anyway so that at least a few songs are brand new

The Insider

https://musicfeeds.com.au/news/greta-van-fleet-announce-first-ever-australian-tour/

Dam it I will be on holidays - really wanted to check them out.

MillenniumFan

Well, they're touring all over Europe, but not Switzerland. Arrrrgh, so disappointed... I really want to see them...

MillenniumFan

Ughh, I wanna see them so bad...