Billie Joe played small private concert in Cannes 6/20/18

desertrose

On 21. 6. 2018 at 1:45 PM, Hermione said:

Ehh they get their entertainment and he gets $$$ and to play a little show with his son, no one loses. Plus if he was going off on Trump like that it must've been a reasonably cool group of people. He might've even done it because he's friends with someone there.

That's right but it's moments like these when it truly shows how far they've gone from the independent scene they started at.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

That's right but it's moments like these when it truly shows how far they've gone from the independent scene they started at.

Well yeah but at this point when they've had a 30 year career and been on every awards show, had a musical on Broadway, are in the RnR Hall of Fame, played Zuckerberg's wedding etc etc it's been evident that they've come a long way since then for a while. It's pretty much the same principle since they signed to a major label, getting paid to play music. Also this is a festival celebrating creativity in advertising that usually has a big music act performing, it's not exactly an evil corporation.

On 6/20/2018 at 3:20 PM, BrendanL said:

Adrienne's caption wasn't a joke per se - that's actually what these three guys call themselves when they play together. Here's a video from their last (first) gig.

It's always really cool to see Joey play with his dad. Mike and Billie once joined SWMRS to hash out a few Green Day numbers including a couple of deep cuts and Joey nailed it; I'd encourage anyone to check it out if they've never seen it before

Hide contents

Wow! Totally uncanny.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:24 PM, Todd said:

Back on topic - 

This is what I've gathered from the clips and articles

01 - American Idiot
XX - When I Come Around
XX - Waiting
XX - I Fought the Law (Crickets Cover)
XX - Unknown (Ramones Cover)
XX - Unknown (David Bowie Cover)
XX - Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)

Add Love is for Losers to the setlist!

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:35 AM, Clockwise said:

This prob paid for The Longshot tour.

Great comment. Unless the economics of touring don't somehow apply to the Longshot (they do), then the tour was definitely breakeven or a money loser at those ticket prices (which were a huge favor to us fans). This tour has been basically priced out as a free gift to fans.

Also being a realist, this one show must've paid $500k+ and also had travel, etc. covered. Not bad, right? Nice little vacation and pay day for a show. But who knows what they did with the proceeds- Jason was probably treated well, I'm sure Hans, Bill, and some others involved in the tour also did just fine. Whatever was left for Billie and family is their choice what to do with. But I do know they are quite generous with certain causes and wouldn't be surprised if the money directly or indirectly made it to things we'd feel good about.

I must sound like such a cheerleader when it comes to this stuff, but I always find the economics of music interesting and also have an appreciation for how much the Armstrong family gives back. I love independent/ grassroots music as much as anyone but am not going to second guess this gig at all. 

9 hours ago, TimmyChunks said:

Great comment. Unless the economics of touring don't somehow apply to the Longshot (they do), then the tour was definitely breakeven or a money loser at those ticket prices (which were a huge favor to us fans). This tour has been basically priced out as a free gift to fans.

Also being a realist, this one show must've paid $500k+ and also had travel, etc. covered. Not bad, right? Nice little vacation and pay day for a show. But who knows what they did with the proceeds- Jason was probably treated well, I'm sure Hans, Bill, and some others involved in the tour also did just fine. Whatever was left for Billie and family is their choice what to do with. But I do know they are quite generous with certain causes and wouldn't be surprised if the money directly or indirectly made it to things we'd feel good about.

I must sound like such a cheerleader when it comes to this stuff, but I always find the economics of music interesting and also have an appreciation for how much the Armstrong family gives back. I love independent/ grassroots music as much as anyone but am not going to second guess this gig at all. 

I think not only did this show make the Longshot tour possible but it also financed the trip to Viggiano for the four of them. Good deal.

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I think not only did this show make the Longshot tour possible but it also financed the trip to Viggiano for the four of them. Good deal.

I would think that since the mayor of Viggiano invited them, that some of it was paid for by the city/province.

44 minutes ago, squashie09 said:

I would think that since the mayor of Viggiano invited them, that some of it was paid for by the city/province.

I didn’t assume that at all. It’s a very small town I doubt their budget stretches that far unless they considered it an investment in future tourism. It’s not like he couldn’t afford it.

1 hour ago, squashie09 said:

I would bet only the gifts and activities. But flights and accoms were probably paid for and arranged by Billie (or really his team).

Archived