Billie Joe played small private concert in Cannes 6/20/18

desertrose

Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong Compares Donald Trump to ‘F—ing Acid Gone Bad’

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/billie-joe-armstrong-donald-trump-green-day-1202852632/

Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong got political at a small concert at Cannes Lions on Wednesday night.

Armstrong performed a set of about a dozen songs at a private party hosted by Live Nation atop a chateau in the South of France for the annual advertising conference. He improvised friendly chatter between songs, telling the story of how he met his wife. He introduced his son Joey, who twirled the drums onstage. And then Armstrong got to a performance of “American Idiot,” from Green Day’s 2004 album inspired by the Iraq War.

“Back then, if I look at a collage of one of those songs, it’s become real life,” Armstrong said. “Without getting too political, it’s important we look out for each other and show compassion.” He said that in the United States, his neighbor was Mexico, alluding to the Donald Trump administration’s practice of separating immigrant families at the border.

“I f—ing hate Donald Trump so much,” he whispered into the microphone. “I used to scream I hated George Bush. This one is a little different. This one is bad, it’s like acid gone bad. F—ing LSD and the American Right, man.”

Armstrong’s set included a cover from Ramones and the best hits from “Dookie.” He closed with “Time of My Life,” which was met with ecstatic applause.

billie-joe-armstrong.jpg?w=1000&h=562&cr

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa!  Oh to have a video of that show! That explains what Joey, Bill and Hans were doing there with the drum setup poolside that was posted. So no Longshot video then, instead it was a corporate shindig 😢

Nice caption, 80. :lol:

Also, good to see Jason again... he's been MIA since that last Coverups show in, what, March?

Adrienne's caption wasn't a joke per se - that's actually what these three guys call themselves when they play together. Here's a video from their last (first) gig:

It's always really cool to see Joey play with his dad. Mike and Billie once joined SWMRS to hash out a few Green Day numbers including a couple of deep cuts and Joey nailed it; I'd encourage anyone to check it out if they've never seen it before

Spoiler

He just loves to play and will take any opportunity (plus they probably paid him a lot), but I swear the energizer bunny never stops especially considering the tour he just came off of

“Jen boats and hoes -Billie Joe”. Nice, Billie. Nice. 😂🤭

How could this event called A Special Evening With Billie Joe Armstrong went under our radar? What I mean is no one knew he was going to France to perform, but it was presented by Citi and Live Nation. So, it must have been annouced somewhere in Cannes.  Villa Alang Alang isn't a hotel. It's a villa you can rent for your own pleasure or to have special event. People might have been invited to Billie's concert, more like a private thing. 

19 minutes ago, IcyMoffatt said:

How could this event called A Special Evening With Billie Joe Armstrong went under our radar? What I mean is no one knew he was going to France to perform, but it was presented by Citi and Live Nation. So, it must have been annouced somewhere in Cannes.  Villa Alang Alang isn't a hotel. It's a villa you can rent for your own pleasure or to have special event. People might have been invited to Billie's concert, more like a private thing. 

Where did you see that title? Was it announced on Live Nation?

ETA: Oh I see it is called that on the Getty page

Well that explains why the last two Longshot shows were so hard to reschedule.

Ugh! He's so beautiful it kills me! :wub:

Those lucky, lucky people! And my god, Billie is like a fucking shark! If he stops moving, he'll die! (That's not true about all sharks btw. Most species can breath fine if they aren't moving. Just had to throw that in there because science).

Archived