Longshot Creds

TimmyChunks

Sorry about this because I don't like starting new topics about something you all likely already know, but... can anyone point me to the Longshot credits? I can't seem to find them anywhere and I've tied to track this down. Hell, I can't even find a Wikipedia page for the band- am I just missing it?:

- music by (assume its Billie obviously/ exception of covers obviously)

- lyrics by (obviously Billie but would like to confirm...same goes with covers)

- guitars (here's where it gets intriguing to me- who played on the studio version- obviously Billie but what did Kevin play if anything)?

- bass- was it Jeff in studio? Billie? I can't find this anywhere

- drums-I read Billie's son tracked one of the songs..but who played what?

- engineering- I think I saw Dugan somewhere, but again, when I google this I hit a dead end.

I do know from seeing them live that Bill Schneider is present and probably tour manager, and Hans is doing his thing and guitar tech, but does anyone else have a full roster of creds? Thanks!

Well the vinyl has some info:

it says “All songs by Billie Joe Armstrong, engineered and mixed by Chris Dugan, recorded at Otis, Oakland”

I’m trying to remember where I saw notes that also said “drums on Happiness by Joey Armstrong” because from that we inferred here that Billie played all the other instruments himself because any other musicians would also have gotten credit. I know that credit was also listed somewhere when the album came out. He only put the band together after the album was done I know that based on a recent interview with Kevin where he said Billie called him and sent him the songs and asked him to go on tour as part of his band. It was after the album was done:

KP: Oh man, I got a really great phone call from Billie Joe a few months ago. He said ‘I wrote some songs. I want to know what you think.’ He sent me ‘The Last Time’ and ‘Taxi Driver’ and I was like ‘God these are great.’ I didn’t tell him but I listened to them like ten times in a row before I wrote back. I told him ‘yeah these songs are awesome, dude.’ And he’s like ‘You wanna be in a band with me? What do you think?’ I didn’t have to think about it, let’s just say that. That was a few months ago and now we’re in the middle of a tour. It’s all been a whirlwind and it’s been so much fun.

http://genreisdead.com/genre-is-dead-interview-with-prima-donnas-kevin-preston/

@TimmyChunks this will answer some of your questions. According to this post by Billie, he recorded & wrote all of the songs, except Goodbye to Romace, himself except for drums on Happiness, which was done by Joey.

Chris Dugan engineered & mixed all songs except for The Last Time was engineered by Lee Bothwick. 

Extra: I love that it appears to be in billies handwriting. (Font nerd here) 

i get the sense that the drums are pretty much software instruments or real recorded audio arranged in a music program.

Yeah it's all Billie except Joey on drums on Happiness. I still think it's really amazing that he's managed to release a solo album in such a low key way that hardly anyone even realises it's a solo album! If he'd released this under the name Billie Joe Armstrong there'd be soooooo much more attention and articles about him "going solo" but because it sounds like a band name and he has band members to tour it totally hides it. It's kind of bad that he won't get the credit he deserves for it, but it's how he wants it to be I guess and how it has to be to keep the shows from being too swamped and keep too many people from going GREEN DAY'S BREAKING UP!!!!!111 lol.

8 hours ago, Hermione said:

Yeah it's all Billie except Joey on drums on Happiness. I still think it's really amazing that he's managed to release a solo album in such a low key way that hardly anyone even realises it's a solo album! If he'd released this under the name Billie Joe Armstrong there'd be soooooo much more attention and articles about him "going solo" but because it sounds like a band name and he has band members to tour it totally hides it. It's kind of bad that he won't get the credit he deserves for it, but it's how he wants it to be I guess and how it has to be to keep the shows from being too swamped and keep too many people from going GREEN DAY'S BREAKING UP!!!!!111 lol.

I wonder if there ever will be a "Billie Joe Armstrong" album.  

Solo projects are very rarely well done in my opinion.  If it's a lead singer of a band, the result is usually a watered down version of what the band sounds like OR the singer goes in a Country or Pop direction.   

I'm trying to think of a band member solo act that I like......and i can't.  I do have serious love affairs with side projects, but not solo projects.  

If anyone could pull it off, it would be Billie Joe.   But what would be the point?  He has creative control in Green Day, and has spread his artistic wings within the band.  Would we hear Love is for Losers differently if it were labeled "Billie Joe Armstrong"  ?    I think we would.  I think we would all be much more critical of it if it were his album.   

In order for him to do a solo record that is well received and not have Green Day looking extraneous.....it would have to be a balancing act.  It couldn't be better than Green Day, but it would have to stand up on its own merit.   And....is that even possible?  What genre would it be?  It would have to be better than the usual country / pop solo shtick, and what Genre could Billie tackle that his fans would enjoy?  Billie's played all the genres that he personally enjoys so.....I don't know.  

A covers album could be a possibility, but again - why not just do it with Green Day?   They make any song sound good.  

9 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Solo projects are very rarely well done in my opinion.  If it's a lead singer of a band, the result is usually a watered down version of what the band sounds like OR the singer goes in a Country or Pop direction.   

I'm trying to think of a band member solo act that I like......and i can't.  I do have serious love affairs with side projects, but not solo projects.  

If anyone could pull it off, it would be Billie Joe.   But what would be the point?  He has creative control in Green Day, and has spread his artistic wings within the band.  Would we hear Love is for Losers differently if it were labeled "Billie Joe Armstrong"  ?    I think we would.  I think we would all be much more critical of it if it were his album.   

In order for him to do a solo record that is well received and not have Green Day looking extraneous.....it would have to be a balancing act.  It couldn't be better than Green Day, but it would have to stand up on its own merit.   And....is that even possible?  What genre would it be?  It would have to be better than the usual country / pop solo shtick, and what Genre could Billie tackle that his fans would enjoy?  Billie's played all the genres that he personally enjoys so.....I don't know.  

A covers album could be a possibility, but again - why not just do it with Green Day?   They make any song sound good.    

The thing is, this IS basically a Billie Joe Armstrong solo album. He recorded everything - less drums on one song. He created the instagram account and controlled the posts - and who was allowed to see them at the start, sent the cd to Live 105 in the Bay Area to be played (my assumption based on the anonymous delivery of cd to that radio host). Is he getting the media presents that, say Mike Shinoda is getting? No. But he's also not going out of his way to talk to them. Kevin is the only "member" to have spoke publicly about The Longshot - and he gives all credit to Billie Joe. It's strictly a "I'm bored and need to play music because that's what I do," project. 

I'm always impressed by projects like this one, done almost entirely by one person. It is often fascinating to hear what a person does creatively when left entirely to their own devices. Sometimes the results are amazing, sometimes the results are lackluster, but it is always interesting to me. I haven't really released anything but I do occasionally work on experimenting with writing and recording music on my own. It is a neat process, to say the least.

3 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

As @squashie09 said, this IS a Billie Joe Armstrong album. I can't imagine he alone has creative control with GD. The three of them share it. They could've easily said "hey man, this is great, but we don't think it's the right move for the next record" so he put it out himself. There's a lot of pressure on what direction they take each GD record but no pressure on side projects. If he released it under his name the pressure would be back on but I think he just wanted to put some music out there and have fun without all the bullshit. So he did it. Some people love it, some think it's alright but are ready for GD to come back. Simple as that. 

Many times have I fantasized about him releasing a solo album and I agree that he orchestrated all in such a different and perfect way. It would be interesting for him to one day release a different sound under the name Billie Joe Armstrong one day (along with radio singles and all that)

18 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

As @squashie09 said, this IS a Billie Joe Armstrong album. I can't imagine he alone has creative control with GD. The three of them share it. They could've easily said "hey man, this is great, but we don't think it's the right move for the next record" so he put it out himself. There's a lot of pressure on what direction they take each GD record but no pressure on side projects. If he released it under his name the pressure would be back on but I think he just wanted to put some music out there and have fun without all the bullshit. So he did it. Some people love it, some think it's alright but are ready for GD to come back. Simple as that. 

In addition I think it's also quite humble of him to have done it this way, clearly not done for attention or to cash in and shows respect to Green Day by not taking away from that being his number one thing that he wants to be known for at all. Perfectly executed really. 

Archived