What Did Green Day Inspire You?

Anna Shallow

When we have an idol, we admire that person and it's normal that some of his hobbies or styles we would end copying and/or evolving to something personal.
I was twelve years old when I met Green Day and I was personally amazed by Billie Joe's skill as a songwriter. I started to write some poems with the excuse that I wanted to be "honest like Billie Joe with myself, kill my demons".
Could be just a phase from my teen years, but it never stopped! I discovered I loved to write, whatever it was: about me, about others, about the world.
This helped me a lot to improve my skills and, besides being an amateur poet and fictional writer, I have graduated in Journalism, my true vocation where I have to write a lot!
So, in the end, it was thanks to Billie Joe that I found the road to my future :)
Did you guys have an experience like this? Did the band, or one of its members, inspire you to become a musician, a songwriter or even a clown? (I'm not sure Tré would recommend the last one)

I really do like GD for everything in general, but Billie Joe is by far my idol. He didn't inspire me to become a musician nor a songwriter. He mostly influenced me on a more personal level.

For many years, I felt like a failure. I was bullied most of my life. I've ADD. I barely have friends. I'm shy and awkward. I fought depression every once in a while. I was an artist without any artistic talent. The list can go on!  I started to get really interested in Billie maybe near the end of my high school years. Before that, he was scaring me with all the stuff he was doing. He was everything I wanted to hate in a person. But I changed my mind. The more I discovered him, the more I understand him and the more I realized I needed him in my life. Billie teached me a lot of things: be myself, don't let people crushing me, to not be scare to make experiences, and find a passion as an artist. I tried for several years to apply all that and it was hard. But, to make my story short, 2014 became a turning point after doing a bachelor and a master degrees in history and losing my job after 9 years and a half. I changed my world upside down. I accepted who I was (a gamer, a geek, a kitsch person... I'm weird and proud to be!), I experienced some artistic path and finally found my talent. Today, I work in a art and craft supplies store, study costumes design for television and theater, and I cosplay sometimes at cons (nothing is more rewarding than meeting strangers who just litterally take you for their hero, asking for pictures, compliment on your art, giving hugs and seeing their smile; you just know you have made them happy and that's a very good day when it's happen).

Billie is nothing at all like me, but he is my inspiration for how to live my life and be happy. 

01767ca6f945d54ea9890a24a2f2c97d.jpg

GD or more specifically Billie, didn’t so much inspire me to start anything or pursue anything, it was more like, he was the one who validated the things I was already figuring out about how I want to live, who I am, what I’m chasing after and he/they inspired me to really go for it. Weirdly, while I’ve been a fan for most of my life, the bulk of this didn’t happen till the Rev Rad era. It was like I had been very  lost for a long time, and when I finally found what seemed like the right path, they were right there to be like “you got it! Keep going!” and suddenly it all made sense. Just needed the right moment for it all to click. So they inspire me to keep going and fully embrace life and that actually does include with music (guitar & songwriting specifically).

They inspired/led me to meet Green Day fans from around the world. To go to New Year celebrations, to go to parties, to meet people from Norway/Australia/USA etc. To shake off my social anxiety and fit in with a crowd. As great as being with people is at a GD show (Emirates show will forever be one of the best few days I've ever spent with people) to have friends in this fandom to share experiences with outside the band is if not better, as good as a concert. 

On 16/6/2018 at 1:20 AM, Anna Shallow said:

When we have an idol, we admire that person and it's normal that some of his hobbies or styles we would end copying and/or evolving to something personal.
I was twelve years old when I met Green Day and I was personally amazed by Billie Joe's skill as a songwriter. I started to write some poems with the excuse that I wanted to be "honest like Billie Joe with myself, kill my demons".
Could be just a phase from my teen years, but it never stopped! I discovered I loved to write, whatever it was: about me, about others, about the world.
This helped me a lot to improve my skills and, besides being an amateur poet and fictional writer, I have graduated in Journalism, my true vocation where I have to write a lot!
So, in the end, it was thanks to Billie Joe that I found the road to my future :)
Did you guys have an experience like this? Did the band, or one of its members, inspire you to become a musician, a songwriter or even a clown? (I'm not sure Tré would recommend the last one)

I'm happy for you, i discovered them in 2005 i think, i was 15 and i was blown away by the American Idiot video at first. Thanks to that album i learned about punk rock music, the music i grew up with, the music that i love. 

After some time i started play guitar and i used to send songs like 80 to my then girlfriend. I also tried to write some songs but ended up too embarassed to actually finish them.

Probably i would've not started playing if it wasn't for them and Billie Joe in particular. I like to say that i don't have any idols, but there are some people which i really admire and Billie Joe it's one of them. 

I feel like he's born to do this, i love the way he compose his songs, it's probably the reason why i like Green Day so much....and the Foxboro Hot Tubs...and The Longshot.

GD inspired me to pick up the guitar and get into music in general, especially diving into the Punk scene. Probably don't listen to them enough, but they'll always have a special place in my heart, I was amazed at the emotions that their Hyde Park show stirred within me.

I know I'm pessimistic about Green Day now, but every now and then I remember something that reminds me of why I loved them, and still do. Today was this: :wub:

13 minutes ago, Joe. said:

GD inspired me to pick up the guitar and get into music in general, especially diving into the Punk scene.

I can relate so much to this. 

On 16. 6. 2018 at 8:25 PM, Billie Hoe said:

they inspired me to smoke weed

Daaaiiim beat me to it :lol:

19 hours ago, Joe. said:

GD inspired me to pick up the guitar and get into music in general, especially diving into the Punk scene.

:-) Inspired me to listen to more (Rock)music and more bands, getting back into my teenage-fangirlscream-mode, picked up..... a ukulele (cause it´s got two strings less... I´m old...)... here I am... learning an instrument for the first time in my life, having fun playing the uke along with others (from childrens´songs to Beatles and Rolling Stones), and having fun with Rock´nRoll live shows. Front of stage, that´s for sure. The one screaming the loudest would be me...  :-D

Archived