Green Day Instagram Spam Bots

Todd

For the past month, my Instagram page has been viciously targeted by a vast network of Green Day fanpages. At first, they appeared to be real people behind these accounts. But as of the last week, the new accounts have been very similar, all in name, profile picture, and content. Many of these pages even have the exact same bio description. I do not understand what purpose these accounts serve. Who is behind them? Is this some kind of marketing stunt pulled by Green Day's new management? Some kind of Russian spy conspiracy? 

I have blocked every one of these accounts, yet every day there are new ones that come after me. Here are just a few of these accounts that I have stacked together in a list 

List.png

Is anyone else having this problem as well? Is there anything we can do to stop it? 

• Todd changed the title to Green Day Instagram Spam Bots

I am too. Not as bad as you but I’ve had a few at a time. I haven’t tried to block any but I don’t know what they are up to. 

I noticed that few weeks as well. I'm not sure if that is a problem, but I don't need more stuff from the band than the band themselves

That greenday_fans.page started following me. I don't know why as I have very little posted to my profile about green day.

Maybe report the accounts as spam. I know it's annoying when 30 bots start following you in less than 4 hours. 

2 hours ago, Todd said:

For the past month, my Instagram page has been viciously targeted by a vast network of Green Day fanpages. At first, they appeared to be real people behind these accounts. But as of the last week, the new accounts have been very similar, all in name, profile picture, and content. Many of these pages even have the exact same bio description. I do not understand what purpose these accounts serve. Who is behind them? Is this some kind of marketing stunt pulled by Green Day's new management? Some kind of Russian spy conspiracy? 

I have blocked every one of these accounts, yet every day there are new ones that come after me. Here are just a few of these accounts that I have stacked together in a list 

Is anyone else having this problem as well? Is there anything we can do to stop it? 

Happened with Green Day Brasil too, but stopped after a while

I’ve been getting a few odd follows too, seemed to have dried up recently though. 

Are you using certain hashtags that are prompting it? I've had a few here and there, but nothing like that.

I got two fan pages requesting to follow weird cause I don’t post on their pages and my page is private 

The one started following me after liking a post by one of the guys or the longshot. I think they go through the “likes” and start following random people. 

Ive had a few, but like many said, not nearly as bad as you. The weird part about it to me is the fact that i NEVER use hashtags and only maybe %15 of my posts are even about Green Day.

5 minutes ago, bass boy said:

Ive had a few, but like many said, not nearly as bad as you. The weird part about it to me is the fact that i NEVER use hashtags and only maybe %15 of my posts are even about Green Day.

It’s creepy I wonder how it knows. Like maybe it tracks the other accounts you follow.

7 hours ago, squashie09 said:

The one started following me after liking a post by one of the guys or the longshot. I think they go through the “likes” and start following random people. 

I agree that it must originate from likes, I haven’t posted anything about Green Day since the last UK tour! 

https://imgur.com/a/l9jvTfm

Yeah I’ve had that with a variety of bands - must be based upon likes

They just want you to be the biggest Green Day fan you can be!

I've had this happen with cannabis-related accounts a lot lately. Still don't know what the purpose is. Judging by what you've said though, it seems like there's an algorithm that targets you based on who you follow.

2 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

haha that's pretty desperate 

Or it’s genius depending on what they’re doing with the information 😬

i don't mind some of REM fan account or Green Day ones. the weirdest ones i've gotten was soundgarden but i don't think the ones following me are spambots. 

Nice, the day of reckoning has arrived. The servers have come alive and now that they are sentient they are demanding good music. My laptop just assaulted me and demanded I log into this site and listen to bootleg shows. I'm being held hostage but I don't mind.

Seriously- this is the new world. Bots are at work and penetrating everyone's social media accounts as the perpetrators work to influence your thoughts and actions (recent US election as good evidence, and given the pace of tech that was lifetimes ago). 

Be safe, wary, and skeptical out there my friends. Don't believe everything you read, this onslaught will continue and its going to be an interesting and at times disturbing journey...

16 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Or it’s genius depending on what they’re doing with the information 😬

If they're trying out some kind of Russian intelligence psyops it's pretty fucked up. 

Archived