Sign in to follow this  
RedundantIdiot

Football World Cup 2018

I don't see a thread yet so I thought I'd create one.

Either Spain or Brazil to win. England to get to the quarter-finals. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RedundantIdiot said:

I don't see a thread yet so I thought I'd create one.

Either Spain or Brazil to win. England to get to the quarter-finals. 

Not liking for your prediction but just for the fact that you made the thread.

It's about time I turn into a football expert again lol

@RedundantIdiot you should probably specify in the title that this is a thread for the football world cup in Russia, because this could honestly mean anything

2 hours ago, RedundantIdiot said:

Either Spain or Brazil to win.

That's a bold prediction you're making since Spain didn't even make it to the quarter finals in the 2016 Euro Cup and Germany beat Brazil 7 to 1 in the semi final of the 2014 World Cup :toocool:

Seriously though, I have no guess who could win it. I am hoping that Germany makes it, but I feel like our team peaked in 2014 and many of the players who helped getting that cup aren't part of the team anymore. It would be a nice surprise though and I will enjoy watching the games and rooting for my team.

Germany and Belgium say hi. England ain't getting past R16 or QFs

Australia WON'T  WIN - I hope they win a game:)

4 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

@RedundantIdiot you should probably specify in the title that this is a thread for the football world cup in Russia, because this could honestly mean anything

Done, just in case we get anyone looking for the World Cup of beer pong or something (incidentally, there is a beer pong World Series, but no World Cup).

3 hours ago, o_O said:

England ain't getting past R16 or QFs

Bit mean singling us out :mad:  but that may well be accurate...

That said, I think England could be the surprise team this time out.  We’ve got a pretty young and inexperienced team, but there’s some solid talent in there and good depth to it as well.  A win would surprise me, but it’s far from impossible.  Overall, I think this World Cup is a tougher one to call than the tournament has been in recent years, a fair few teams have a good chance at it.

• Like 1

This will be so much fun  :dance:Norway didn't qualify as usual, so Denmark and Sweden all the way. 

10 hours ago, Second favourite son said:

That said, I think England could be the surprise team this time out.  We’ve got a pretty young and inexperienced team, but there’s some solid talent in there and good depth to it as well.  A win would surprise me, but it’s far from impossible.  Overall, I think this World Cup is a tougher one to call than the tournament has been in recent years, a fair few teams have a good chance at it.

I’d be amazed if they get past the quarters, they’re playing nice football for once but I just think we lack talent across the pitch

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Second favourite son said:

Done, just in case we get anyone looking for the World Cup of beer pong or something (incidentally, there is a beer pong World Series, but no World Cup).

Bit mean singling us out :mad:  but that may well be accurate...

i agree. it's not like i want them to fail. their youth squads are on point! if anything i want France, England, Belgium, or Colombia to go to the finals. Nothing against Germany, Brazil or Spain. 

6 hours ago, Beathe. said:

This will be so much fun  :dance:Norway didn't qualify as usual, so Denmark and Sweden all the way. 

Denmark just beat mexico which is a surprise. i think they both used their starters too. as an american i generally root against mexico because that's standard Denmark was good. Denmark and Sweden could surprise everyone. like that Netherlands/Spain matchup in 2014. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, o_O said:

Denmark just beat mexico which is a surprise. i think they both used their starters too. as an american i generally root against mexico because that's standard Denmark was good. Denmark and Sweden could surprise everyone. like that Netherlands/Spain matchup in 2014. 

I only follow European teams so I wouldn't know. But time will tell. I hope they both do well. 

Nicklas Bendtner and Mike Jensen didn't make the Danish team. I really wanted to see them in the championship. 

4 minutes ago, Beathe. said:

I only follow European teams so I wouldn't know. But time will tell. I hope they both do well. 

Nicklas Bendtner and Mike Jensen didn't make the Danish team. I really wanted to see them in the championship. 

i would have loved for Bendtner to be on the team. it would make the WC interesting. 

1 minute ago, o_O said:

i would have loved for Bendtner to be on the team. it would make the WC interesting. 

Same here. He has played well in the Norwegian league the last couple of season. I expected him to make the team, but that shows what I know. :P

• Like 1

i love how Americans roast England or Mexico but look who didn't qualify because they stunk it up against Trinidad and Panama and Costa Rica

Oh yeah right, the world cup :lol:. I feel like there's less of a hype than in the years before. Could be due to the problematic political situation in Russia, the fact that the FIFA is a bunch of corrupt idiots or the general commercialization of football, which has reached a level that is almost not bearable anymore, at least not for me. 

Anyhow, even though I'm complaining now, I'll probably watch every single game :D. I doubt that Germany will make it to the final again. I think the team is not hungry enough for another title, even if I want them to win. If I had to bet, I'd probably say that Spain has a realistic chance. Spain vs Argentina, that's my guess for the final. 

Germany, of course. 

12 hours ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Oh yeah right, the world cup :lol:. I feel like there's less of a hype than in the years before. Could be due to the problematic political situation in Russia, the fact that the FIFA is a bunch of corrupt idiots or the general commercialization of football, which has reached a level that is almost not bearable anymore, at least not for me. 

Anyhow, even though I'm complaining now, I'll probably watch every single game :D. I doubt that Germany will make it to the final again. I think the team is not hungry enough for another title, even if I want them to win. If I had to bet, I'd probably say that Spain has a realistic chance. Spain vs Argentina, that's my guess for the final. 

Got Spain in the sweepstake from work so hoping for good things, can’t see them winning it though

Entered the sweepstake at work........got Saudi Arabia. Wish me luck 

8 hours ago, Hermione said:

I guess you're gonna need a lot of luck :D

9 hours ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

I guess you're gonna need a lot of luck :D

Indeed :P 

I think I'll change my Brazil or Spain to win prediction as Spain sacked their manager. I'll go for Brazil or Germany to win. 

And as a Newcastle United fan, I pray Spain don't want Benitez to be their new manager. 

5 hours ago, RedundantIdiot said:

I think I'll change my Brazil or Spain to win prediction as Spain sacked their manager. I'll go for Brazil or Germany to win. 

And as a Newcastle United fan, I pray Spain don't want Benitez to be their new manager. 

Benitez to Spain is a reasonable shout, to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him make the step up to international management.

• Sad 1

On 6/11/2018 at 4:58 PM, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

yeah i have that vibe that Germany will bow out in the QF's 

On 6/12/2018 at 8:27 AM, Hermione said:

RIP Saudi Arabia is hot garbage. 4-0 loss to Belgium. haha

11 hours ago, o_O said:

RIP Saudi Arabia is hot garbage. 4-0 loss to Belgium. haha

Yes I'm aware :P 

• Love 1

Allright, I thought Spain was going to win, but since they sacked their manager I'm not so sure anymore. Maybe France instead... 

Hierro is a good manager that knows that squad well, he’ll keep the systems the same so I think Spain can still do ok.