Could Green Day's new album be coming April 2019? (pure speculation)

legendary

I hope 2019 is the year for new Green Day.  I'm still trying to listen to every album by my 230 favorite artists and you know what?  The more music I listen to, the more I know Green Day are the best musicians out there.   Right now I'm listening to Cheap Trick (Green Day got my interested in them with their amazing "Surrender" cover).   

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The longer this goes without it seeming like they’re getting together, the more I’m thinking they’re waiting until 2019 to hit the studio, maybe a few months after Baby Cool comes along in December. So there could be writing and planning happening behind the scenes, but now I strongly suspect they will record in the spring/summer and release an album next fall, three years after RevRad which is a reasonable gap. Then they could go on tour when the baby is a year old and good to travel. 

You know what else. Did anyone notice how rusty they seemed when RevRad came out? The smaller club shows were so so so so soooooo cooool But also Billie seemed to kinda have problems singing Still Breathing live as well as he did during the stadium part of the tour. Was that because he was sick? Or was it because there weren’t rehearsing their asses off and it wasn’t quite super polished and ready for a tour. Were they out of practice or was it because they were sick? Billie is a workaholic. I wonder if he’s writing the new Green Day record. He’s home. He’s quiet. They did that Coverups show last month and that was it? He was in New York. What was that? Who knows. Oh, ya producing a record for another band. He never rests. I hope he doesn’t burn out! His best work and he seems happiest when he’s busy and touring and writing and producing. I bet something great is on the way! And also: I really hope the math theory is true and there’s a new Green Day album for April 2019 haha ❤️

On 6/8/2018 at 8:10 AM, pacejunkie punk said:

Except we don’t know how much of the next album they’ve been working on behind the scenes. Apparently Billie’s been writing since the RevRad tour they could have sat down in February and decided which songs would be Longshot and which would be set aside for Green Day. We don’t really know how far along they are.  And even if Longshot is just Billie he’s still the one that needs to be most inspired for the next album so it is likely still part of his creative process for Green Day.  For all we know he could be writing all this time and be ready to go straight to rehearsals when the tour ends.

This. (I don’t think I’ve ever used that phrase).  There are more to the reasons songs that Billie wrote became Longshot songs than meets the eye.

7 hours ago, Virginia Lot Lizzard said:

You know what else. Did anyone notice how rusty they seemed when RevRad came out? The smaller club shows were so so so so soooooo cooool But also Billie seemed to kinda have problems singing Still Breathing live as well as he did during the stadium part of the tour. Was that because he was sick? Or was it because there weren’t rehearsing their asses off and it wasn’t quite super polished and ready for a tour.  ❤️

It was because in a vacuum, Billie would never had SB on the live set list but had to because of its charting success. He doesn’t love performing that song.

23 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

It was because in a vacuum, Billie would never had SB on the live set list but had to because of its charting success. He doesn’t love performing that song.

Interesting, I hadn’t thought of that and now I dont know know why.  We all accept WMUWSE is tough so I should have, it’s obvious he’s not too keen to even talk about it in all the interviews, I guess this is again the downside for him if writing so personally and straight from the heart.  I just thought it was a really tough song to sing, which I still think it is.  

Still Breathing is also just technically hard to sing. The verses are very low for Billie's range and then that's followed by a chorus that has high notes and has to be sung with a lot of power. Same kind of thing as the high parts on 21 Guns he has trouble with only more. He stretched his vocal abilities on it so it was never going to be the most perfect sounding live song.

3 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

There are more to the reasons songs that Billie wrote became Longshot songs than meets the eye.

Such as? 

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

Still Breathing is also just technically hard to sing. The verses are very low for Billie's range and then that's followed by a chorus that has high notes and has to be sung with a lot of power. Same kind of thing as the high parts on 21 Guns he has trouble with only more. He stretched his vocal abilities on it so it was never going to be the most perfect sounding live song.

Yes, I agree, that what I meant really when I said it was a tough song to sing. I think Billie is a classic example of emotion and the performance more than compensating for a not totally perfect technical rendition of a song.  I love 21 Guns on AAF, much more than the album version.

6 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

This. (I don’t think I’ve ever used that phrase).  There are more to the reasons songs that Billie wrote became Longshot songs than meets the eye.

Do you think it was a mutual band decision to release those songs as a side project and if so, was it because they had an idea for Green Day already and this didn’t suit it, or was there disagreement among them over what to do?  (Ie, did Billie want them for GD and did the guys say no?)

I get the sense that Billie really wants to revisit Trilogy songs and is not done exploring that sound and Mike and Tre don’t want to. It’s only at Longshot shows that he started playing trilogy songs again that the others seem to have resisted all RevRad tour. 

Still Breathing took some practice and it looks like they worked it all out during the club shows before the big tour. Maybe the guy has been inspired again since he finally got to get back on the road and lived a little bit of life he loves and got some inspiration and insight to start writing like a crazy person again. He was so happy during the making of the Trilogy (seemed that was in interviews and in the documentary). Too bad they didn’t get to release and promote it properly. It was for the best considering all things. However. No Trilogy songs were playing on the RevRad tour except once Nuclear Family. Too Dumb to Die only played once. Bouncing of the Wall has Trilogy/Longshot vibe is a fun new song and I don’t think that was played at all. It was a super fun and new song and I don’t think it ever saw the light of day except at least it was on the album. i think maybe a lot of people here on the board are right and the Trilogy/Longshot are compartmentalizing the love/crush/heartbreak/party songs.

the more epic stadium friendly songs “the hits” are saved for Green Day. Green Day is an epic beautiful monster. I think that shows how special the Trilogy and the Longshot are btw.

Maybe that’s why I love Longshot so much because I really love the Trilogy.  To me there’s nothing wrong with that as a Green Day sound, you can draw a line to it right back to Nimrod and Warning. At some point they seemed to have gotten in the mindset that Green Day only have a big arena rock sound. As much as I love them too not everything has to sound like AI/21CB to be Green Day.

@pacejunkie punk

Yeah... Well, probably my biggest problem with the trilogy was or is that it coupled garage rock song-writing with overblown / overly polished production. There are other issues, but in my view, that was the big thing that didn't do it for me...

So, I personally wouldn't equate the trilogy with the Longshot, because the Longshot actually DID have a more raw / low-fi production and overall sound to go along with the, as you put it, less "arena rock" song-writing. 

Yeah, I know... It's a personal grudge. I just don't think I'll ever really accept the trilogy (in its entirety or as it stands) among a success in Green Day's standard CD catelogue. To me it should have always been a side-project, or at best, it could have released as one album and with a slightly tweaked ''demolicious''-esque production. 

But yeah, I really don't want to start an argument and I know the trilogy has been hated far too much (especially on this forum), so we can just leave it here...

10 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Maybe that’s why I love Longshot so much because I really love the Trilogy.  To me there’s nothing wrong with that as a Green Day sound, you can draw a line to it right back to Nimrod and Warning. At some point they seemed to have gotten in the mindset that Green Day only have a big arena rock sound. As much as I love them too not everything has to sound like AI/21CB to be Green Day.

I thought the trilogy songs they played live had a great arena sound!!

18 minutes ago, The Insider said:

I agree! Sounded great! And Stop When the Red Lights Flashed was so exciting live and Stray Heart was such a fun sing-along but I thinkkkkk what the point was of what we were talking about was not only the sound but also the theme. It’s like you needed to have lived life a bit more or at least be curious about fun and exciting and maybe even danger in the fun and be a bit more clever to really get how special and different the Trilogy and Longshot are beyond production and sound. And sometimes people missed the point and don’t want Green Day to do more than fit into and AI box or a 90s hit music television slot. I think that’s why the Longshot/Trilogy stuff is compartmentalized into side projects and why songs like Bouncing Off the Wall and Too Dumb to Die aren’t played live but others songs from the Rev Rad record are played every show even though one or two could be swapped out.  

I agree the Trilogy songs sounded great live and were super fun.... no doubt about that! But so many people just didn’t get it. Or maybe the songs are a trigger. I’m not sure. But I do think it’s weird that Green Day doesn’t play them and that the set list was so incredibly static for the RevRad tour. No Trilogy songs. Ever. And not even a fun new one like Bouncing Off the Wall. Or even Too Dumb to Die.

It was weird. And I think that’s why some of us were so grateful for the Longshot and Trilogy songs being played live by Billie Joe. A lot of us love those songs plus the new ones. But nobody wants to hear about production and whatever when we just love the emotions and lyrics and the songs and the art of Billie’s songwriting. 

Thank you for saying the Trilogy songs sounded great live! Live shows are the best and connecting with people through music is amazing!

I'm a little late to the party, but I just wanted to stop by and say that I think that all the performances of Still Breathing that I've seen were very good, despite it being a hard song to sing. Billie is a very talented singer and it makes me happy that he constantly pushes himself like that, even if he's not going to have a perfect performance each time, like for songs such as 21 Guns, etc. My favorite performance of SB is probably from The Late Show. He's about as close to perfect as he can get with that one and it always gets me. I really wish that they had played Somewhere Now more. That one's a technically difficult song as well, but it's just so good and I love it when he sings it!

Also, I think the trilogy is great! There are a lot of songs that I just love from it and I think that it's gotten more negativity than it deserves.

19 hours ago, The Insider said:

Some do but on SB, do you guys really think that BJ thinks that’s a great stadium song? 

Of course not because it isn’t. It’s a great song and it’s a good song to listen to but it always breaks up the set list and he just wants to get through it.

I mean while I LOVE the song, the performance is monotone. 

Da da da da da da da da da da da daaa da. Da da da da da da da da da da da daaa da. Da daaa da, da da da da da....(That’s pretty much the cadence in every verse of the song which is not very conducive to rocking out which I think we all know Billie and friends like to do). He is visibility bored singing the song and it’s not because it’s out of his vocal range. He sings songs that are tough for him to sing every single night and does it with vigor and excitement. 

Here is a practiced and well produced version on CBS and look at his eyes. Do you think this is the song he wanted to perform that night?

Now I know you all love the song, as do I, but when Billie performs, he wants to rock out and the comparisons to WMUWSE are not the same. He likes to perform that song because the song has more emotion live.  Even when SB is at its best which is during the pre-chorus, bridge and break, it’s momentary but the song is mostly caught up in the cadence of a rap song almost. Da da da da da da da da da daaa  da. Da da da da da da daaaaa da, da daaaaa da, I’m still alive and repeat. It’s just not a great live song and try as he does, he doesn’t get into it and Billie isn’t one to fake it.

Emotion: (listen to the dynamic range difference in the verses, the solo with the pyrotechnics). It’s a power ballad and it’s a good fucking live song. SB is not but it charted and they play it because they play their hits.

On 10/24/2018 at 10:59 AM, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

The more music I listen to, the more I know Green Day are the best musicians out there.  

Can you define what you mean by “best musicians”? FTR, they are my personal favorite band but I am curious as to what you mean by that.

2 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

Can you define what you mean by “best musicians”? FTR, they are my personal favorite band but I am curious as to what you mean by that.

Yeha, I would be interested in that as well. 

Green Day will always be my #1 band, no matter what will happen. But over the years my musical taste has changed/expanded and I came across some more complex styles etc. which kinda changed my perspective. You know, listening to Biffy Clyro for instance really got me thinking how it is possible for Green Day to not get bored of never really 'big' changing their music. Because despite Whatsername being written in Drop-D and Brutal Love in 3/4, there aren't really some big changes/'challenges'. This is - of course - more than fine! A song being complex doesn't automatically make it better. Billie writes with his heart, which is wonderful and the source of their music being so powerful hence them being my said #1 band. Plus, I'm pretty sure they could pull something more complex off in terms of their musical skills. I remember a video of Tré playing some 5/4 jazz stuff and this video of Mike slapping the bass. 
Again - complexity is not a necessity to have great music. I absolutely adore Billie's songwriting ability and I always will and all three of them are very good musicians. This is what makes them such great performers, because they know what they are doing and they are for sure - amongst others - at the top of their game. But I never think of their music as complex or anything else, which is why I would not rank them as the 'best musicians'.

I really hope this does not come off elitist-bitchy. I love them and I would always take a wonderful song like When I Come Around over some badly written 19/16 DADGAD-tuning stuff. 

Spoiler

I really hope I got this 'hence'-stuff right. I'm not a native speaker and since leaving high school and going to college I don't have any english lessons anymore. 

3 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

look at his eyes.

Oh, you know I'm always looking at those eyes. ;)

So impressive how most of this thread is about how good the songwriting is and the emotions involved. No more of that stupid nitpicking about production and the wrong microphone or whatever. The songs are good. Even the songs that get lost or thrown in the garbage are great songs. Can’t wait to hear this new album hopefully  coming out in April of 2019 according to logic and patterns. Has Billie ever followed logic or a pattern. I don’t think he’s as random or wreckless as he seems in some instances. I think it’s all very clever and calculated.

15 hours ago, SumDay said:

Yeha, I would be interested in that as well. 

Green Day will always be my #1 band, no matter what will happen. But over the years my musical taste has changed/expanded and I came across some more complex styles etc. which kinda changed my perspective. You know, listening to Biffy Clyro for instance really got me thinking how it is possible for Green Day to not get bored of never really 'big' changing their music. Because despite Whatsername being written in Drop-D and Brutal Love in 3/4, there aren't really some big changes/'challenges'. This is - of course - more than fine! A song being complex doesn't automatically make it better. Billie writes with his heart, which is wonderful and the source of their music being so powerful hence them being my said #1 band. Plus, I'm pretty sure they could pull something more complex off in terms of their musical skills. I remember a video of Tré playing some 5/4 jazz stuff and this video of Mike slapping the bass. 
Again - complexity is not a necessity to have great music. I absolutely adore Billie's songwriting ability and I always will and all three of them are very good musicians. This is what makes them such great performers, because they know what they are doing and they are for sure - amongst others - at the top of their game. But I never think of their music as complex or anything else, which is why I would not rank them as the 'best musicians'.

I really hope this does not come off elitist-bitchy. I love them and I would always take a wonderful song like When I Come Around over some badly written 19/16 DADGAD-tuning stuff. 

Reveal hidden contents

I really hope I got this 'hence'-stuff right. I'm not a native speaker and since leaving high school and going to college I don't have any english lessons anymore. 

You took the undertone or my question and unraveled it. Well done!

edit: not only did you get “hence” correct, most “English speaking” people say “hence why” which makes me nuts. Not only did I not know it wasn’t you’re native tongue, you write better than most, hence I had no idea you were foreign. ;) 

5 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

I've been listening to a TON of music lately.  Exploring different genres, different bands, different scenes.  And while I've had a lot of nice surprises, I haven't come across anything that makes me feel the way that Green Day does.  I'd love to find a band that comes close, but so far no dice.  I've still got a ways to go in my journey to hear every song ever recorded but after listening to over 117 complete discographies, Green Day just please me more than the other 116+ artists.  

It would blow me away to suddenly discover a new favorite band, especially being as elderly as I am, but I doubt it will happen.  At least I'm giving everyone a fair chance, and I try not to bash new music if I can help it, so there is a possibility.  Against Me! is my most recent favorite. I've liked them for years, but in the last four years they've become one of my coveted TOP TEN bands. 

5 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

I've been listening to a TON of music lately.  Exploring different genres, different bands, different scenes.  And while I've had a lot of nice surprises, I haven't come across anything that makes me feel the way that Green Day does.  I'd love to find a band that comes close, but so far no dice.  I've still got a ways to go in my journey to hear every song ever recorded but after listening to over 117 complete discographies, Green Day just please me more than the other 116+ artists.  

It would blow me away to suddenly discover a new favorite band, especially being as elderly as I am, but I doubt it will happen.  At least I'm giving everyone a fair chance, and I try not to bash new music if I can help it, so there is a possibility.  Against Me! is my most recent favorite. I've liked them for years, but in the last four years they've become one of my coveted TOP TEN bands. 

Queen.

Best band of all time.

Almost always considered the best 22 minutes in rock history. Live Aid 85 Wembley.

Also, aside from mainstream amazement, they are the best singer, one of the best guitarists in the world in May, Deacon with the baselines to songs like Another One Bites The Dust and Under Pressure, and Freddie Mercury with the best voice in the entire universe could sing everything from operatic to rocking, to ballads. 

BJA would agree that Queen is pretty much the best of the best when it comes to straight rock not withstanding some of the odd timed jazz and stuff that takes musicianship to another level that it becomes uninteresting to listen to unless you are enjoying it simply for its difficulty.

Speaking of which, Bohemian Rhapsody came out today! God I hope it’s good. Oh and Taylor who can bang them thangs and wrote many of their songs and songs in most of them.

The RevRad stage was an exact copy of the typical Queen stage and BJA wearing the crown was a throw to Freddie in BIAB and he wore a mustache with gaffer tape to pay homage to Freddie at Redding with We Are the Champions and it’s safe to say, Queen is probably BJAs favorite band.

Oh and the “hey yos”, just watch the Live Aid performance.  Just saying if you’re looking for a band with the diversity and listenability as GD, look no further but GD are still alive.

@LaughingClock This is off topic so we can’t get into it too much, but from what I’ve read it sounds like Bohemian Rhapsody is getting mixed reviews but viewers absolutely love it. I think it will do well. The critics think it didn’t go deep enough into Freddie’s sexuality, etc.

28 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

@LaughingClock This is off topic so we can’t get into it too much, but from what I’ve read it sounds like Bohemian Rhapsody is getting mixed reviews but viewers absolutely love it. I think it will do well. The critics think it didn’t go deep enough into Freddie’s sexuality, etc.

That's a weird critique because it did touch on his sexuality, a lot. And it even touched on the fact he wasn't white or that he identified as gay, which are common misconceptions. I thought it was a great movie. You can't go deep on anything in two hours, lol, but it covered a lot of stuff I thought. 

Archived