Could Green Day's new album be coming April 2019? (pure speculation)

legendary

On 6/8/2018 at 12:11 PM, DookieLukie said:

Can we not make sensationalized posts like this? I got excited only to find out its just mindless speculation. 

I'm not here much anymore, but I thought the same thing because this is the first topic I saw when I refreshed the page :lol: 

• Hermione changed the title to Could Green Day's new album be coming April 2019? (pure speculation)
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Penguin Puffball said:

I'm not here much anymore, but I thought the same thing because this is the first topic I saw when I refreshed the page :lol: 

I did add "pure speculation" but now I notice it totally looks like an announcement if you don't see the end of the title :lol:. Edited it again to make it even less hopes-up-getting.

2 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

PYeah, also American Idiot took at ton of time to produce. It's true that a good album doesn't always hinge on time, sometimes quite the opposite is true, but I do think there is a certain correlation, something that is especially true the older the musician and/or band in question is.

I'm just going to be honest and say: I don't have a clue. Personally, a release late 2019 seems the earliest date possible to me, but even then it's pushing it. That is of course, depending on which kind of album they even intend to produce. A significant part of my expectation is a more elaborate album than RevRad, produced in the studio together with a producer. That would certainly take some time. But that's just my baseless subjective hope and wish, not would they are actually objectively going to do. At this point, they may already know / have an idea (such as Tre's new drum set might indicate) what kind of album they want to produce, but they may as well haven't put any significant thought to it. I mean, they just had a reasonably well performing album with a generally good response, both from critics and from fans. And they played to more than 1.2 Million people over the span of just over a year. The release of the album isn't even 2 years ago. All we knew at this point 2 years ago is that they were in the studio. And the end of the full scale world tour (well, except for Japan/Oceania) is barely more than half a year ago. Maybe this album/tour cycle gave them the motivation to jump right into the next album. Maybe it exhausted them and they sought to step on the brakes a bit. I know that Billie went head first right into the next project, but going on tour with the Longshot most likely isn't even half as stressful as it is with Green Day, because both the live shows and the album itself don't have to meet the same expectations and public scrutiny. That's an important thing to consider. I'm sure they've learnt on several occasions in the past that public opinion really gets to you, even if it's just a loud minority. People fiercely attacked the last Linkin Park album and as tragic as it is, you bet Chester Bennington was more than aware of it. So again, we just don't know what they're thinking and/or doing right now (apart from Billie). But that's the whole fun of it, I guess. I too admit to getting excited by every little ''announcement'', hint etc. that may or may not point to a new GD album, but in the end: All I know is that I don't know nothing... 

Most level headed post in this thread I think.

I think most people setting themselves up for disappointment if they think fall of 2019. If memory serves, they usually favor spring releases to do a spring run of smaller shows for the summer touring so again my personal guess is and this is based on that Billie is in a recording mood (but I don't know how everyone else is feeling), I'm thinking spring of 2019 and definitely by 2020. I truly believe, on my own thoughts, that 2021, unless Billie slows down his almost not seen in decades pace of feverish creativity and desire, a GD album that long from now.

Think about how much recording he's done since he's been back. Frack for GH album, forms one band, tours it, forms another band, records most of the instrumentation himself, Dugan engineers it and they tour it across the nation to tiny clubs out of a pure desire to be creative and keep playing.

To whomever it was that said earlier something to the effect of "im not paying attention to the movie until we here something more", well we did. Billie said under no duress, that they were working on re-writes and they were excited about it (this was after the return), it says it's in re-writes via IMDB even though the last official IMDB update was Jan 12th, it is in fact in re-writes and they've recently added one additional writer so there is movement on that front. That said, it could take another 2 years but it could also take 6 months before they start production. I actually think the only thing that could slow down the next release would be if they start production on the film before the next album.

But with all the recording Billie is doing, I would NOT AT ALL be surprised to see a 2019 release although I think 2020 (money money) would be the most likely. 2021 barring unforeseen issues seems far away just based on how I feel from BJA's state of mind, AND AGE. He knows he can't go forever. He probably feels younger having quit drugs so he's having a second coming of sorts right now. 

He's really enjoying himself. This is why I think we see stuff earlier. Either way, like I said, I'm already happy with all we've got already.

The Longshot was a nice surprise and I love the music. 

** Since Insomniac, 8 out of 9 (one of those being Tre which made it way to Dec so winter)  records have been released in fall so an April release as purported by the OP may be off but who knows?

3 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

Yeah, also American Idiot took at ton of time to produce. It's true that a good album doesn't always hinge on time, sometimes quite the opposite is true, but I do think there is a certain correlation, something that is especially true the older the musician and/or band in question is.

I'm just going to be honest and say: I don't have a clue. Personally, a release late 2019 seems the earliest date possible to me, but even then it's pushing it. That is of course, depending on which kind of album they even intend to produce. A significant part of my expectation is a more elaborate album than RevRad, produced in the studio together with a producer. That would certainly take some time. But that's just my baseless subjective hope and wish, not would they are actually objectively going to do. At this point, they may already know / have an idea (such as Tre's new drum set might indicate) what kind of album they want to produce, but they may as well haven't put any significant thought to it. I mean, they just had a reasonably well performing album with a generally good response, both from critics and from fans. And they played to more than 1.2 Million people over the span of just over a year. The release of the album isn't even 2 years ago. All we knew at this point 2 years ago is that they were in the studio. And the end of the full scale world tour (well, except for Japan/Oceania) is barely more than half a year ago. Maybe this album/tour cycle gave them the motivation to jump right into the next album. Maybe it exhausted them and they sought to step on the brakes a bit. I know that Billie went head first right into the next project, but going on tour with the Longshot most likely isn't even half as stressful as it is with Green Day, because both the live shows and the album itself don't have to meet the same expectations and public scrutiny. That's an important thing to consider. I'm sure they've learnt on several occasions in the past that public opinion really gets to you, even if it's just a loud minority. People fiercely attacked the last Linkin Park album and as tragic as it is, you bet Chester Bennington was more than aware of it. So again, we just don't know what they're thinking and/or doing right now (apart from Billie). But that's the whole fun of it, I guess. I too admit to getting excited by every little ''announcement'', hint etc. that may or may not point to a new GD album, but in the end: All I know is that I don't know nothing... 

...and that's fine ...yee-ha!

Well, American Idiot didn't take that long. They ended touring in middle of 2002, then releasing Money Money 2020 and scrapping C&V in the process. So they had less than a year to make the complete process (writing, recording, mixing, and mastering). Even so they did look into older songs (like when it's time, letterbomb and wake me up), they had to hone them. They were quite ambitious at the time and spent a lot of time rehearsing. 

Same happened with 21stCB, but in a larger scale, because they wanted to top American Idiot, but also was a longer time writing. Billie Joe stated that American Eulogy was written around 2006, and they added Murder City barely a month before the album's release. Also they said the writing of 3 albums. Don't even count Stop, drop and roll and it's tour in the middle of 2008.

And for Longshot and it's lighthearted component, it just shows how very few actually mind Green Day and it's extensions. Even Longshot had some attention from the media, but it's not that different from they use to get when they release something, because is the same mind behind. 

What is true, is that Billie Joe has an incredible amount of creative output, and a long stash of songs waiting for an opportunity. They can surprise us at any moment. Maybe they had a meeting last week talking about it and we can't know :lol:

I'd bet it's either November of 2019 or October of 2020 (barring tragidies).

Can't be 2020, that's when the new Network album is out :P 

Yup, still waiting on Omega 3000 😆

Purely conjecture on my part, but early fall (Sep/Oct) 2019 feels about right for new GD. Barring any setbacks, of course.

If it does come out in the fall, hopefully it's in September.  RevRad was in October which was after the Grammy cut off.  It was basically forgotten about a year later when it was eligible.

• 3 weeks later...

The guys are back together in a room that could very well be a studio, and Tre's new custom kit is mic'd up. 

Also see Mike's recent post. Take from this what you will, but it looks promising!:)

2 hours ago, BrendanL said:

The guys are back together in a room that could very well be a studio, and Tre's new custom kit is mic'd up. 

Also see Mike's recent post. Take from this what you will, but it looks promising!:)

I don't think they're recording a new album yet but this does look promising. Maybe demoing some new songs Billie's written? Whatever's happening, I'm sure it'll be exciting!

Sjc wrote on Twitter that Tré will use the new kit on his new studio... maybe they are starting the plans for a new album now, separating demos and stuff like that. 

1 hour ago, legendary said:

Sjc wrote on Twitter that Tré will use the new kit on his new studio... maybe they are starting the plans for a new album now, separating demos and stuff like that. 

It turned out SJC was referring to its own studio when it said that, not Tre’s. They built a new studio to film clips for the web demonstrating their drums.

On 6/12/2018 at 9:06 AM, Hermione said:

Can't be 2020, that's when the new Network album is out :P 

Gawd willing. Sure we will get a Network single in 20.

On 12/06/2018 at 3:15 PM, Montclare said:

If it does come out in the fall, hopefully it's in September.  RevRad was in October which was after the Grammy cut off.  It was basically forgotten about a year later when it was eligible.

RevRad would never have got a Grammy anyway

2 hours ago, Joe. said:

RevRad would never have got a Grammy anyway

It probably would've been nominated at least. A nomination is at least some recognition, which RR definitely deserved

14 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

It probably would've been nominated at least. A nomination is at least some recognition, which RR definitely deserved

I agree it deserves some recognition but at least it have the band another #1 album!

• 3 weeks later...

Putting this here to add to the speculation although I accept I could be totally wrong. This is just my spidey sense. RevRad was first teased by Billie on his IG ten months before its release (Jan 2016).  It looks like the guys are together at Tre’s place now from IG and we have these (I know it’s the Longshot account but I think he prefers it these days as a communication tool and place to drop hints before he’s ready to really reveal anything to the wider public):

If he’s at the point where he’s ready to start dropping clues here I’d say we could be nine-ten months out like before which would put us right around April.  So that’s my April 2019 release theory 🙂 

17 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Or maybe he's not done with Longshot yet

He better be. I doubt he will be coming to europe and if can't see them, nobody can!

Seriously, I want Green Day to do something again, I miss them:cry:

14 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

He better be. Idoubt he will be coming to europe and if can't see them, nobody can!

Seriously, I want Green Day to do something again, I miss them:cry:

If he's not coming to Europe with Longshot I'll never forgive him :angry:

I think they def are working on new Green Day right now, but probably taking it slow. 

9 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Or maybe he's not done with Longshot yet

Yep they are heading downunder for some spring surfing & have bought a recording studio near Bondi.

Archived