Worst thing youve heard someone say about green day?

BucksCoEric

when someone acts like if Green Day has a handful of lullabies songs...  "How can you be 28 and STILL listen to Green Day???"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, SHART said:

I knew I should have scored his ticket:mad::happyhands:

YOu should have been there bitch!!!  I had a great time but it would have been better with you there. So get  on the damn plane, it is only 24 hours!  

Ive always hated people who say Green Day isnt punk. Have ya heard The Ramones? The forefathers of punk were poppy as shit and weren't independent. Same could be said about alot of bands. 

4 hours ago, ¡Nunes! said:

when someone acts like if Green Day has a handful of lullabies songs...  "How can you be 28 and STILL listen to Green Day???"

One time I was buying a Green Day bootleg album and the clerk was like "my son loves Green Day." So I was like that's cool... and the clerk replied "he's four" in a tone like only four year olds should like Green Day. 

I don't get it

This is what a former friend of mine said after listening to American Idiot:

"There's too many guitars." 

-_- 

2 hours ago, molly1620 said:

One time I was buying a Green Day bootleg album and the clerk was like "my son loves Green Day." So I was like that's cool... and the clerk replied "he's four" in a tone like only four year olds should like Green Day. 

I don't get it

I get this response a lot with both Green Day and Blink. People just look at me like, those are "high school" bands. Why do you still listen to them? Uh, because they're fucking awesome! 

I'm trying to think if I've ever heard anything bad said about them in real life.......my dad likes them but doesn't agree with their political views.  He's maybe said something about all famous people being left wing nuts, "flakey" or something to that end, but not really in a hateful way. He's voted for both Democrats and Republicans, so he's pretty tolerant of both sides.     

I have encountered people that have never heard of them, which is perhaps MORE offensive than hating them. 

Of course a lot of people born in the 90s or 00s have never even heard of Rock music, which makes me twitch with of rage.  and Love too ;)

And online.....no one ever says anything positive online.  lol. 

Recently, Jon @artv did a review of The Longshot, and he wasn't impressed.  

Their most recent greatest hits had a review like this:   "Sellouts, all for money and without heart and soul, you just have auto-tuned zombies."   OUCH.

"They're about as Punk as The Archies.  The Worst!"

I love reading bad reviews of things that I like, It's a hobby of mine.   And their are oh so many hate filled reviews on youtube, itunes....anywhere that people exist behind computer screens that they aren't smashing because they aren't punk.   or whatever.  

All I know is one of my top 20 favorite bands needs to release something and FAST, because I'm subjecting myself to every song by band much further down on my list of favorites, and they mostly SUCK!  

I though I'd discover some new songs by bands that I've been mildly interested in over the years, but really my list of favorites goes all the way down to musicians I don't like at all!   hahaha.   I'm weird like that.  

Most recently (this morning) I listened to Simple Plan's entire oeuvre.  Or I tried.  They come in at #92 out of my list of 230 artists.  I hope that some of my lesser ones surprise me, because Simple Plan has been the absolute worst 'pop punk'  I've heard, and I've pretty much heard them all.   

(I love pop punk, or whatever you want to call it.  but some of those bands have either went in a terrible direction, or I outgrew them.  Here are some pop punk bands I once loved but grew to hate all later material by:  Sum 41, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan.....

.....And New Found Glory had ONE good song, but even it is only as good as fingernails on a chalkboard.   UUUUUgh.   

Fifth rate punk bands, *shutters*

I know there are lesser "punk" bands out there, but I'm old now so bye. 

3 hours ago, molly1620 said:

I don't get it

I'm sorry this is hilarious :lol:

I don't like when some fans try to defend Green Day, especially in comment section on youtube, they keep writing 'green day is the best punk rock band, because of bla bla bla.', or comments like 'punks not dead' below KIll the DJ or Oh Love video XD I don't classify GD as punk. I love their music, but I would never defend their status as a punk rock band. I don't even like the way Billie sometimes speaks about being punk and his opinion about the term pop-punk. Green Day is a great rock band, but without 'punk' in it. I hate reading fans comments and all the defending... that's the worst thing.

^^funny you should say that because, while I agree with you in terms of a lot of their music, I still think they (or at least Billie) are punk as people. It’s a genre but it’s also a lifestyle. So I hate when people say Green Day aren’t punk or Billie/Mike/Tre isn’t punk. But I get it if someone says “this isn’t really a punk record” or “they’re more of a rock band now. 

7 hours ago, bass boy said:

Ive always hated people who say Green Day isnt punk. Have ya heard The Ramones? The forefathers of punk were poppy as shit and weren't independent. Same could be said about alot of bands. 

Yeah exactly. It cracks me up, the same people will defend The Clash to the death too (who I love but are the same way).

10 hours ago, Grubby Poop said:

YOu should have been there bitch!!!  I had a great time but it would have been better with you there. So get  on the damn plane, it is only 24 hours!  

:drinks:

14 hours ago, greenalert997x said:

I don't like when some fans try to defend Green Day, especially in comment section on youtube, they keep writing 'green day is the best punk rock band, because of bla bla bla.', or comments like 'punks not dead' below KIll the DJ or Oh Love video XD I don't classify GD as punk. I love their music, but I would never defend their status as a punk rock band. I don't even like the way Billie sometimes speaks about being punk and his opinion about the term pop-punk. Green Day is a great rock band, but without 'punk' in it. I hate reading fans comments and all the defending... that's the worst thing.

I think we get too concerned about labels. I don't care if Green Day is punk or pop punk. To me, their genre is just "Green day". They've shown that they can pull off anything from power pop to hardcore punk to anything in between. They can be labelled as so many different genres that it's pointless to fixate about it

I haven't read all the thread as it just annoys me so much when people don't realise how much great music they have released, youngest band inducted to RRHOF etc but the biggest one for me was when the Trilogy was released and a reviewer said that it was just plain wrong of a man in his 40s to be writing a song about being sweet 16 and I thought you total asshole, did you even listen to the album at all, cos you clearly didn't list to that song.  I think that's actually the day I signed up to FB so I could be rude to him about his shoddy work and useless opinions (getting mad writing this gggrrrrrrr).

Got so mad I had to come back and make corrections! :D

I really stopped bothering about all the elitist music fans who think that you can easily categorize music into good and bad (which is basically everything that is commercially successful in their eyes). And I think ever single artist has a certain amount of "haters". And Green Day is actually one of the bands which most people really like, at least that's my impression. However, one very bad thing that a friend once said was that Bon Jovi's music is more diverse than Green Day. That hurt :lol:.

Today when coming back to work after my trip to the US to see The Longshot, my beloved boss asked me about it and he wanted to know if I had touched Billie, etc. (I will make my review around here in no time!) and I talked excitedly about it and showed him photos and a video of As Tears Go By. he said "that song is very famous" (he had already said that before about 21 Guns and then pretended not to believe it was from Green Day) so I said it was a Rolling Stones covers, but that I prefer Billie's voice (I had listened to some Rolling Stones performances of it, I honestly love Billie's singing 100x times more). My boss responded by a cynical "yeah, right" while I'm sure he didn't even compare both versions, he just don't want to figure Billie as the great musician he is, and it's practically only based on Billie's appearance ; although my boss is not the best example because I think he likes to piss me off with that and it even amuses me too when he does it, but sadly he's far from being the only one to react like that towards Billie. I think Billie is the most awesome singer and frontman ever and when I say that it makes people laugh. Why couldn't he be, eh?

The primary punk and bratty side of Green Day are generally all what people can tell from them, as if it was not compatible with being a great rock band. Most people ignore the brilliant evolution of the band and of their music, and that Billie has become a hell of a singer and songwriter. He still has all of his punkness but added with his nowadays singing and writing skills, it's totally brilliant. And it keeps becoming more brilliant, I'm sad when people seem to think Green Day has already done their time a long time ago, while I'm witnessing that it's completely untrue. And for some reason it seems these people won't change their mind. 

Another thing, I don't know if it's more or less annoying for me, is when people say Billie has a great voice... the music is awesome... but they don't care about Billie as a person or even as a frontman, they don't feel connected to him. I believe I could say that for most great rock bands, the music is great but I don't dig a lot the singer/writer, but it hurts me when it's said about Billie. Seeing him performing is the best and the most moving thing to me, and it hurts me to see other people not caring about him.

I also hate when people (internet people or reviewers for what I've seen) mock Billie expressing his social and political views as if "a millionaire guy wearing eyeliner can't be taking seriously". While I love even more Billie for doing it the way he does, putting his entire heart into it.

About the accent, I just want to say, my dad who heard him singing in Brooklyn said he definitely has a strong Californian accent. I'm not an expert but as @Hermionesaid Billie pronounces some syllables in a way that can randomly remind of British, and I can see those, but it's certainly very far from an actual British person singing; I personally can't stand a strong British accent while I love every variation of Billie's singing accents, so... People using that accent argument as to discredit Billie are like saying there's only one type of distinguished accent while singing, that would be British, so Billie would be trying to "imitate" that while in his case it is a form of local American accent, and he makes it distinguished by his own way of using it while singing. Nothing similar to any British band or performer I've heard.

12 minutes ago, Kuromignonne said:

Today when coming back to work after my trip to the US to see The Longshot, my beloved boss asked me about it and he wanted to know if I had touched Billie, etc.....

(shortened just to keep my post from being too long)

I agree with all of this. I'm glad they got in the rock hall so young and on the first ballot because other than that they're shown so little respect because people take them at surface level and don't pay attention.   

• 4 weeks later...

I was watching a documentary about Green Day and Larry Livermore was talking about his reaction and what happened when Green Day changed their band name from Sweet Children to Green Day. He said, at the time, he was so disgusted by the name change he just looked at the then-teenagers and was like, "F--ck no, wtf does Green Day mean?"

On 6/11/2018 at 4:36 PM, gaslight13 said:

(shortened just to keep my post from being too long)

I agree with all of this. I'm glad they got in the rock hall so young and on the first ballot because other than that they're shown so little respect because people take them at surface level and don't pay attention.   

Talking about not paying attention, I was telling a friend about the Longshot the other day and he asked me if Green Day were still together. I thought he meant because of the side project so I said yeah they’ll get back once this is over and he said, oh because I didn’t think they’d done anything since American Idiot 😱😱😱

I think we have an awareness issue. This is a guy that should be right in their demographic. That’s shameful.

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Talking about not paying attention, I was telling a friend about the Longshot the other day and he asked me if Green Day were still together. I thought he meant because of the side project so I said yeah they’ll get back once this is over and he said, oh because I didn’t think they’d done anything since American Idiot 😱😱😱

I think we have an awareness issue. This is a guy that should be right in their demographic. That’s shameful.

Geez, I'm afraid this is quite common. In my experience there's quite a few people who only know Guns as the only post-AI song and well if the only 21CB song they noticed is Guns then it's natural that they didn't notice the trilogy and revrad. Shameful indeed. 

I work in the world of music and it's fine to be a big fan of a band but it's not cool to be a fan boy which I definitely am so I get it from my peers year round for years.

I am always trying to explain and convince people to experience the fan side of the GD show and I only get made fun of so ironically it's my closeness to the industry that gets me constant guff.

Pretty much all my friends make fun of me. So contrary to @Hermione who said her age she got into them at a too late age to hear much, I got into them when they were starting and never stopped but it's my age and position as a promoter that gets me made fun of so I've heard it all. My constant trying to convince everyone is precisely the reason I hear it.

Either way, I don't give a fuck. When it comes to entertainment, Green Day or anything else I like, I care about what one person thinks, me.

Also, I've never understood how they get thrown in with bands like Blink and FOB and other bands that I would probably make fun of my fiends if they loved. (For the record, I don't like Blink but my respect for them just shot up when I heard "Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cock, Cunt, Cocksucker, Moterfucker, Tits) which are George Carlin's "seven dirty words" which he fought for our right to say and even was arrested for using it on stage after FCC warnings and was a pioneer of non-censorship. Believe it or not, you couldn't even say these words on cable networks back then, let alone broadcast ones so I respect them for it but anyway.

That said, I don't understand it. Green Day are now a classic rock band with a 3 decade history and as I've said here before their constant and longevity is pretty much unparalleled and probably will never be again matched as the ingestion methods of music have changed dramatically. NO BAND including every band in existence have had a span of hits that have lasted 30 years.

Paul mcCartney, the greatest living legend of all time hasn't even. Great way to end on the best video on the internet if you haven't seen it. Check this out. The Late Late show is in London and they just shot Macca for the best CarPool Karaoke of all time. If you're a Beatles fan, prepare your tears, if you're not, prepare to be: (must watch until end). I will never stop loving Green Day and have even willed to have a Beatles song and a Green Day song played at my wedding. The LOVE remix of "Because" from the Beatles.

1 hour ago, LaughingClock said:

Also, I've never understood how they get thrown in with bands like Blink and FOB and other bands that I would probably make fun of my fiends if they loved. (For the record, I don't like Blink but my respect for them just shot up when I heard "Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cock, Cunt, Cocksucker, Moterfucker, Tits) which are George Carlin's "seven dirty words" which he fought for our right to say and even was arrested for using it on stage after FCC warnings and was a pioneer of non-censorship. Believe it or not, you couldn't even say these words on cable networks back then, let alone broadcast ones so I respect them for it but anyway.

That said, I don't understand it. Green Day are now a classic rock band with a 3 decade history and as I've said here before their constant and longevity is pretty much unparalleled and probably will never be again matched as the ingestion methods of music have changed dramatically. NO BAND including every band in existence have had a span of hits that have lasted 30 years.

It's because along with a few other bands Green Day popularized pop punk in the 90s. It means they get lumped in with all other pop punk bands that followed, including ones that weren't really even very similar to or influenced by them like Blink, and even bands who aren't pop punk but just vaguely similar to it or appeal to a similar demographic like Fall Out Boy. And also all manner of bands who say they were influenced by them but unfortunately aren't anywhere near the same level. I swear 99% of bands who claim to be influenced by Green Day don't sound like them and are terrible and/or extremely generic (eg shit like All Time Low). I'm not sure how that happened and it's bit of a shame :lol:, it's not good for their legacy.

I guess maybe now they've been around this long and are so respected for their live shows and have a rock opera on Broadway and in the RnR Hall of Fame etc it's more evident that they're a cut above basic generic pop punk bands to most people though.

I thought Blink was influenced by Green Day. Maybe they were just fans of theirs :confused:

2 hours ago, kaylubd said:

I thought Blink was influenced by Green Day. Maybe they were just fans of theirs :confused:

Maybe but I think they never say it? And Green Day won't either, I think they both usually say Blink were more influenced by other bands and sound more like other kinds of pop punk bands like NOFX. And they started very early (in 1992) so they probably hadn't even heard them then.

5 hours ago, Hermione said:

It's because along with a few other bands Green Day popularized pop punk in the 90s. It means they get lumped in with all other pop punk bands that followed, including ones that weren't really even very similar to or influenced by them like Blink, and even bands who aren't pop punk but just vaguely similar to it or appeal to a similar demographic like Fall Out Boy. And also all manner of bands who say they were influenced by them but unfortunately aren't anywhere near the same level. I swear 99% of bands who claim to be influenced by Green Day don't sound like them and are terrible and/or extremely generic (eg shit like All Time Low). I'm not sure how that happened and it's bit of a shame :lol:, it's not good for their legacy.

I guess maybe now they've been around this long and are so respected for their live shows and have a rock opera on Broadway and in the RnR Hall of Fame etc it's more evident that they're a cut above basic generic pop punk bands to most people though.

Oh without a doubt! They have multi generational following. When we are all dead and gone, Green Day will still be alive through their music and all those other bands will not be known. That's pretty much fact. I agree with your reasoning in full, sans that it will effect their legacy. 

I would say if they never recorded another note or beat, their legacy is intact.  Aside from just the generational aspect, there is also the fact that their last several albums are timeless in their sound.  Some bands just have a timeless sound and those are the ones (like Floyd, Queen, Beatles), I put Green Day in the category of them.

Nevermind they are the youngest band to be inaugurated into the HOF which is an honor but it's also indicative of people in the academy knowing the truth of what I'm saying.

I have ZERO concern for their legacy being tarnished by Blink 182 or FOB or whoever. I don't even consider them a pop-punk band anymore to be honest. I think of them now as a classic rock band. Forgive the term, but maybe a "contemporary classic rock band". Aware of that contradiction but I believe they are what the new classic rock will sound like in 15-20 years or less .

They are Jedi masters of rock and everyone else is a phantom menace.

6 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

Oh without a doubt! They have multi generational following. When we are all dead and gone, Green Day will still be alive through their music and all those other bands will not be known. That's pretty much fact. I agree with your reasoning in full, sans that it will effect their legacy. 

I would say if they never recorded another note or beat, their legacy is intact.  Aside from just the generational aspect, there is also the fact that their last several albums are timeless in their sound.  Some bands just have a timeless sound and those are the ones (like Floyd, Queen, Beatles), I put Green Day in the category of them.

Nevermind they are the youngest band to be inaugurated into the HOF which is an honor but it's also indicative of people in the academy knowing the truth of what I'm saying.

I have ZERO concern for their legacy being tarnished by Blink 182 or FOB or whoever. I don't even consider them a pop-punk band anymore to be honest. I think of them now as a classic rock band. Forgive the term, but maybe a "contemporary classic rock band". Aware of that contradiction but I believe they are what the new classic rock will sound like in 15-20 years or less .

They are Jedi masters of rock and everyone else is a phantom menace.

Oh no I don't worry about it and I'm sure they'll be remembered well too! It's just weird how low the average quality of bands who claim to be inspired by Green Day is haha.

Archived