Make A "Green Day" Wish to Billie Joe Genie

AimieeSmith

16 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

I like a lot of the trilogy, but there are a lot of flaws, mostly lyrically.

Hey!
I like your BMW
I like your BM-excellent tits
With a tattoo of a pig sniffing glue

I guess maybe I just don't have the certain level of intelligence to understand what he was going for there... Billie was a mess around that time, and it shows in his lyrics. Some songs were focused and thought out and conveyed good emotion, but others seemed like pure filler. I feel like the trilogy is like nimrod in a lot of ways, in an old interview I think it was Mike who said that with nimrod they had 40 songs written, recorded 30, and then found the album within what they recorded, and I feel like the trilogy was the same way, they just had a ton of songs and then noticed that a lot of the songs were about partying so they made that the theme, I don't think they were written around it, I think the theme was added after the fact, it wasn't an intention, it was an excuse.

as for the production, some of those songs worked well with clean guitars, but energetic songs like Let Yourself Go and Nuclear Family definitely needed heavier guitar tones, and I think stay the night is a classic sounding green day song that could have used the same guitar tone as Scattered, a little heavier but not Insomniac level. I like how with the production they didn't over use the lo-fi intros like they did with revrad, it was pretty straight forward and I actually liked all the guitar shredding on the trilogy, the songs called for it, but I think an album like Insomniac sounds way better stripped down. I love the bass tone on the trilogy, but with the cleaner guitars they could have at least fattened up the drum sounds, I hate how the snare sounds and the vocals are so thin.

Can I ask you what other bands you're into? I'm getting the impression that you're not too into punk rock, which is a shame because that's Green Day's roots, and there's no changing your roots.

I'll see if I can get pics of it up sometime tomorrow

Lyrics and songwriting are all subjective. I just think 'flawed' is the wrong word to describe the trilogy production. Billie and Green Day knew exactly what they wanted to do with the sound, and accomplished it. As far as the mixing and engineering of the record, their isn't a blemish (Unlike RevRad). 

I obviously don't know for sure if Green Day would change a lot with Insomniac, but judging by the solos they've inserted into live versions of songs like Stuart and Armatash (That greatly improve the song in my opinion) they've probably at least thought about it. 

I agree Billie was a mess at the time, but usually that's when the creative juices are flowing the most. The reason why most bands start with their best work is because they eventually become happy with all their success, and it's not as easy to create good music when you're happy.

I'm big into the Beatles, Sam Cooke, Rancid, Blink and Weezer.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Intimate tour of OZ where I get tickets to every night - I don't care about the casual fan.

2. No King for a Day on the setlist - @Hermione I typed it in full just in case BJ reads this.

3. Mix up the setlist a little - 2nd night Sydney proved it made no difference to the pyro etc.  (keep pyro & catwalk)

1. Do an Australian tour where I get moshpit tickets for every show and do it with the band "Pennywise"

2. make a revrad live DVD and documentary

3. make A new album in 2019

Also Insomniac is great don't change it other wise it makes green day less diverse

(Also pennywise is this band https://pennywisdom.com. They are pretty hardcore but fun to listen to. they dont sound like green day!)

1.) A shenanigans 2 called "Shenan-Agains" just so they can make that pun and shit

2.) An compilation of unreleased songs like Olivia and Dreamcatcher and so on

3.) An album thats re-recorded versions of their 1039/Kerplunk era stuff

8 hours ago, 1039Revolutions said:

The trilogy is not 'flawed' what-so-ever. The  production, mixing and engineering is perfect! If you don't like a lot of the songs that's one thing, but if you wanna look at a highly 'flawed' record from a production standpoint, you should look at RevRad. If you really are a musician, I wouldn't have to tell you that.

Most people don't realize what the actual intentions of the trilogy were. Capturing the mood of anticipating/celebrating an event, then the event, then reflecting everything after the fact and the hi's and lows that come with that. Green Day accomplished exactly that, and I think a lot of it is just too much for the average/ordinary fan to consume, and I don't blame them. Like Billie said, it takes a certain level of intelligence to understand the psychology.. not your fault.

I don't want to repeat myself and drag this thread off topic but the vocal filters suck and to me the instrument tones are very hit and miss - I completely agree that RevRads production was much worse but considering it's all I post about I won't go into that again.

im happy to sort this out in PM but you're coming across as a bit condescending implying I don't have the intelligence to 'understand' the trilogy, when in fact I do, it's a bloated mess.

4 hours ago, Trecoolmemes said:

1. Do an Australian tour where I get moshpit tickets for every show and do it with the band "Pennywise"

2. make a revrad live DVD and documentary

3. make A new album in 2019

Also Insomniac is great don't change it other wise it makes green day less diverse

(Also pennywise is this band https://pennywisdom.com. They are pretty hardcore but fun to listen to. they dont sound like green day!)

Welcome mate

Pennywise are great live but make it RANCID downunder🙃

2 hours ago, SHART said:

Welcome mate

Pennywise are great live but make it RANCID downunder🙃

Thanks mate

Yeah I don't mind rancid, maybe both of them?

1. Add to the setlist for the next GD tour several trilogy songs. Including Walk Away. :wub:

2. RevRad live DVD indeed, it would be sooooooo kick-ass :wub:

3. Forever Now video :wub:

1. Release/give me the doomed-to-never-see-the-light-of-day video of the London FBHT show (they filmed the whole thing with like 3 cameras and Kevin Preston told me and my sister that they'd watched it and it was hilarious :cry:)

2. Play UK FBHT or (more realistically) Longshot shows

3. Meet them in some way AND it miraculously isn't awkward

1. Play a GD show that I can actually attend (and make sure I get barrier right in front of Billie:wub:).

2. Play a Longshot/FBHT show that I can actually attend (and again, get me in front of Billie:wub:).

3. Make #messwithyourkidmonday/tuesday (or whatever fucking day it is) a weekly thing.:lol::wub:

1. Play a tour of unplayed/rarely played songs.

2. Release some of the complete live shows that they have in the archives (ie stuff they used for live Bsides) similar to what The Jam have done by releasing concerts from the Polydor archives. Would love to get SBD versions of Woodstock, Aragon Ballroom, Stockholm, etc.

3. Make all the Insomniac haters disappear. Lol! :lol:

On 15/5/2018 at 9:32 PM, greendepent said:

If you want Insomniac with a more modern approach, go and listen the HOB 2015 soundcheck where they played Stuart and the Ave. I like it, but doesn't mean I don't love that 15-layer guitar <3

Some songs sounds better slower, to me, nowadays. For example, I love ''Private Ale'' and how they performed it years ago, the fact that it's slower enhances the palm muted verses, ta ta tat ta... haha :-)

2 hours ago, disappearingfs said:

Some songs sounds better slower, to me, nowadays. For example, I love ''Private Ale'' and how they performed it years ago, the fact that it's slower enhances the palm muted verses, ta ta tat ta... haha :-)

I agree that Private Ale is a good example of that slower pace fits better. Lovely song

3 hours ago, god61 said:

1. Play a tour of unplayed/rarely played songs.

2. Release some of the complete live shows that they have in the archives (ie stuff they used for live Bsides) similar to what The Jam have done by releasing concerts from the Polydor archives. Would love to get SBD versions of Woodstock, Aragon Ballroom, Stockholm, etc.

3. Make all the Insomniac haters disappear. Lol! :lol:

Huge yes to releasing the archives, at least partially. I know they record all their shows and they also have videographers on site for all their tour dates (hell, even at soundcheck when no one else is around). I understand why they don't want to throw all their content out there, but Phish does a great job of selectively releasing live stuff they record through the soundboard. Green Day could definitely release some high quality content at low incremental cost (it's already recorded, I'm sure Dugan or someone else could quickly master some of this stuff for a release).

Many of us have known for a long time that they are an underrated live band. A relatively modest live release (much along the lines of Pearl Jam) would go over very well and also showcase their live capabilities.

Agree with so many in the thread. Maybe not an entire show's worth, but more deep cuts in the set list. That would be my biggest wish, is to spend less time catering to the casual fan. I think someone up thread suggested a poll for fans to vote on what they want to hear most. That would be a very cool, very Green Day thing to do.

Another thing I would love to see is raw audio stems of the master tracks made available to the public. I'm sure they would need permission from the label for something like that, but a guy can dream, right? I know the rips from Rock Band exist; that's not what I'm talking about. Those are censored and have crowd noise from the game in the background.

Lastly, I would really like to see them take a chance with a new producer. A Green Day album with Mark Trombino behind the desk would be a dream come true for me.

• Hermione changed the title to Make A "Green Day" Wish to Billie Joe Genie

I forgot to add a very important wish : I would like to see Billie becoming a grandpa before reaching 50. :wub: That is of course GD related. :lol:

15 minutes ago, Kuromignonne said:

I forgot to add a very important wish : I would like to see Billie becoming a grandpa before reaching 50. :wub: That is of course GD related. :lol:

Why? 😲

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Why? 😲

You mean, why is it a wish? I would find that totally lovable and entertaining. And I think he would be lucky to be a young grandpa. And that he would love it. And, I don't know, sometimes I'm amazed he can look so young (not only physically but overall speaking of his energy, his mentality, and also his voice) and be the dad of boys of my age... I think he could totally be a grandpa and still be the same and thus be even more amazing. Maybe that's just a very funny thought I would love to see come true :D 

On 5/15/2018 at 6:31 AM, gaslight13 said:

1. Add some variation into their set lists.

2. Make the AI movie happen with Billie as St. Jimmy sooner rather than later and have it be at least somewhat good.

3. Put out an amazing new album in the next couple years.

😱 but, the best thing about insomniac is how heavy it is. 

re: #3 - so become lame old men 20+ years before they could even be considered “old”?

#2 is happening.  Depending on your definition of "sooner".  It is in full force prepro and that is something that most properties don't make it to.

34i5x80.jpg

2z8azrs.jpg

LOL.  According to IMDbPro, The Simpsons Movie is what BJA is known for.

1 hour ago, LaughingClock said:

#2 is happening.  Depending on your definition of "sooner".  It is in full force prepro and that is something that most properties don't make it to.

How long has it said that though? We haven't heard anything for years and I thought last I heard it was going to be made by HBO and not necessarily be a version of the musical. The info there is like 7 years old. If it was called off or they decided not to go forward with it I don't know if it would actually be removed from there, couldn't they just still have the rights to the idea or whatever even if they have no plans to do it anymore?

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

How long has it said that though? We haven't heard anything for years and I thought last I heard it was going to be made by HBO and not necessarily be a version of the musical. The info there is like 7 years old. If it was called off or they decided not to go forward with it I don't know if it would actually be removed from there, couldn't they just still have the rights to the idea or whatever even if they have no plans to do it anymore?

No, the info there is SOME since 2010 when it was first placed in development. The last time IMDbPro was updated was January 2017.

That said, HBO doesn’t care and doesn’t update IMDb. It’s not the Hollywood database everyone thinks it is.

Once in a while you should just listen up. I am telling you that the AI the musical produced by Tom Hanks Playtone is in rewrites and if it’s in rewrites, the chances of it getting made go from about 0-30% to about 90%. 

That said, whether they change it to a film with music from a musical, I am not privy to but it will definitely be musical to an extent if not the musical. I don’t know.

Forgetting all that, it’s also been well documented that Billie has been saying since the last tour that they are in rewrites not to mention I KNOW THEY ARE.

I told you that Billie had a bunch of music and will be in the studio as soon as he’s back. I also told you that the movie will be worked on.

Both things are true. I have yet to say anything that hasn’t come to fruition so trust me.

If you had IMDbPro you would see this.

2upfzte.png

So even IMDb has been updated more than 7 years ago. Or if you’re feeling jaunty Google Billie talking about it as soon as he got back just as I said.

One day you’ll realize I don’t just say shit out of my ass even if it does smell like shit sometimes.

Im sitting at LAX ready to board a rediculously early flight. Sorry if I’m cranky. Why am I posting here at LAX is the question.

Yeah I'm not arguing :rolleyes:, just wondering whether it could say all that even if they don't actually plan to go ahead with a film. If you know it's in rewrites (new info to me as there hasn't been any news about this for a long time) then that's cool.

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

Yeah I'm not arguing :rolleyes:, just wondering whether it could say all that even if they don't actually plan to go ahead with a film. If you know it's in rewrites (new info to me as there hasn't been any news about this for a long time) then that's cool.

Don’t want to burst anyone’s bubble and I certainly don’t know anything but it has been said to be in rewrites for many years. That’s not the same as pre-production which means they’ve begun location scouting, set building, storyboarding, costume design, etc.  If none of that has happened yet we are no closer to a film than we have been in the last ten years.

Archived