Make A "Green Day" Wish to Billie Joe Genie

AimieeSmith

When I hear ''lighter tone'' for Insomniac and ''more live performances'' off trilogy I feel the same way: stranded, lost inside myself*.

*HEAVY.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. A big worldwide American Idiot anniversary tour in 2019, and they play one show right in front of the White House.

2. A RevRad live DVD and documentary (yes, I still want that)

3. A Longshot tour in Europe:cry::cry::cry:

5 hours ago, Grubby Poop said:

It can't hurt

Go and play Bab’s Uvula Who in a clean tone if you think that’d sound any good that way than you’re legally deaf 

maybe Walking Contradiction could work clean but the rest? Nope 

10 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Go and play Bab’s Uvula Who in a clean tone if you think that’d sound any good that way than you’re legally deaf 

Hey,  don't get nasty with me. Plus, you know I don't like Insomniac. 

12 minutes ago, Grubby Poop said:

Hey,  don't get nasty with me. Plus, you know I don't like Insomniac. 

You know I wasn’t getting nasty with you would never do that to my fav poster 

1 hour ago, Thatsername said:

1. A big worldwide American Idiot anniversary tour in 2019, and they play one show right in front of the White House.

I love this idea!

20 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

I think your wish has been granted years ago already

What? They also have Jason Freese and Jeff Matika on stage. 

27 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

What? They also have Jason Freese and Jeff Matika on stage. 

Ooooh, I thought you meant demote Jason White from official member to touring member :P 

2 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

On Quatro, Billie had said it would take a certain kind of intelligence to understand and appreciate what he was doing with the Trilogy, and he is right. It was made for 'musicians'. If you think Bab's Uvula Who is even close to the same level of song writing as Stay The Night, you are mentally challenged.

My suggestions for Insomniac would no doubt make it a better album. Some (fans) might disagree, but I'm sure any musicians or song writers would totally agree. It was an incredibly rushed album with all of the potential in the world.

19 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

On Quatro, Billie had said it would take a certain kind of intelligence to understand and appreciate what he was doing with the Trilogy, and he is right. It was made for 'musicians'. If you think Bab's Uvula Who is even close to the same level of song writing as Stay The Night, you are mentally challenged.

My suggestions for Insomniac would no doubt make it a better album. Some (fans) might disagree, but I'm sure any musicians or song writers would totally agree. It was an incredibly rushed album with all of the potential in the world.

My post wasn’t even about the trilogy or even Stay The Night...

1) Another Network album

2) More Belfast shows

3) Longshot UK tour

Also Insomniac is perfect as it is thanks

13 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

No and no. You may be mentally challenged yourself if you can't accept there's such a thing as taste and different styles of music and songwriting. And no, it would not.

11 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

My post wasn’t even about the trilogy or even Stay The Night...

Also go fuck yourself for that last comment after stay the night bitch 

Easy there slugger.. I was just trying say that just because Babs Uvula Who is fast tempo with angry lyrics (much like the whole Insomniac album), it doesn't necessarily mean it requires super hard and dark guitar tones, and that Trilogy songs that are just as hard 'Parts of Dirty Rotten Bastards for example' sound much better (in my opinion) with Billies signature high treble, cleanly distorted sound.

If Green Day re-recorded Armatash Shanks with the same guitar tones as Stay The Night, and added a little solo on the bridge, I think fans would go ballistic (in a good way).. that's all I'm trying to say.

24 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

This type of comment is offensive and unnecessary (which I believe is why WhiteTim responded as he did). 

Can we cut out language that shows disrespect for people with mental disabilities please. The end, on with discussing the topic at hand without that and without making personal comments.

7 minutes ago, Hermione said:

This type of comment is offensive and unnecessary (which I believe is why WhiteTim responded as he did). 

Can we cut out language that shows disrespect for people with mental disabilities please. The end, on with discussing the topic at hand without making personal comments.

I apologize for that, but it was in response to his 'legally deaf' comment.. and for the record, it wasn't as direct as him calling me a 'bitch' and to go f*** myself after the fact.. lol

Nevertheless, I'll cut that out.

Just now, 1039Revolutions said:

Easy there slugger.. I was just trying say that just because Babs Uvula Who is fast tempo with angry lyrics (much like the whole Insomniac album), it doesn't necessarily mean it requires super hard and dark guitar tones, and that Trilogy songs that are just as hard 'Parts of Dirty Rotten Bastards for example' sound much better (in my opinion) with Billies signature high treble, cleanly distorted sound.

If Green Day re-recorded Armatash Shanks with the same guitar tones as Stay The Night, and added a little solo on the bridge, I think fans would go ballistic.. that's all I'm trying to say.

Well for Bab’s Uvula Who it does require the hard and dark tones it wouldn’t sound as good or be as impactful with clean tones or “trilogy tones” most of the songs for Insomniac wouldn’t sound good or work as well if it was clean 

I may make jokes on the trilogy in other posts but I do like the trilogy sure none of the three are in my top 5 GD albums but I don’t hate any of them and I love Stay The Night probably my #2 fav from the trilogy behind Brutal Love BUT however I’d personally rate Bab’s over Stay The Night only because I relate to Bab’s subject matter than STN but my posts on Insomniac and clean had nothing at all to do with the trilogy 

4 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

I apologize for that, but it was in response to his 'legally deaf' comment.. and for the record, it wasn't as direct as him calling me a 'bitch' after the fact.

Nevertheless, I'll cut that out.

I apologize for the last part of the post I saw the mentally challenged and it triggered me and I let my anger override I have edited the comment out 

1 minute ago, WhiteTim said:

Well for Bab’s Uvula Who it does require the hard and dark tones it wouldn’t sound as good or be as impactful with clean tones or “trilogy tones” most of the songs for Insomniac wouldn’t sound good or work as well if it was clean 

I may make jokes on the trilogy in other posts but I do like the trilogy sure none of the three are in my top 5 GD albums but I don’t hate any of them and I love Stay The Night probably my #2 fav from the trilogy behind Brutal Love BUT however I’d personally rate Bab’s over Stay The Night only because I relate to Bab’s subject matter than STN but my posts on Insomniac and clean had nothing at all to do with the trilogy 

I guess it's fair that we both have different opinions of what sounds good! I'm personally a sucker for how amazing the guitar choices were on the trilogy, and always felt Insomniac was rushed.

No hard feelings.. Everyone on here has much better tastes than the majority of people anyway lol.

Insomniac represented a very specific time in the band's career; it was a little rushed, and probably more than a little reactionary to criticism from a certain segments of the population. I think it's exactly what they wanted it to be when they were writing it. In retrospect, perhaps Billie does wish that he had spent more time constructing and perfecting the songs. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about this, but it sounds like the debate going on right now is about wanting an album from 20+ years ago to sound more like current Green Day.

19 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

Insomniac represented a very specific time in the band's career; it was a little rushed, and probably more than a little reactionary to criticism from a certain segments of the population. I think it's exactly what they wanted it to be when they were writing it. In retrospect, perhaps Billie does wish that he had spent more time constructing and perfecting the songs. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about this, but it sounds like the debate going on right now is about wanting an album from 20+ years ago to sound more like current Green Day.

Insomniac is my favorite album, I love the guitar tone on it and I love that there's no solos! I love the anger, they'll never make another album like that, and I don't want them to. Insomniac was written by 3 punks in their early 20s and that's what it sounds like and it's what I love about it, they got their anger out and moved on though, I love how happy they all are now.  Like the lyric in Jaded says, "always move forward".

I found this a couple weeks ago when I was reading an interview that was done just before nimrod was released, it definitely gives some good perspective to where they were when they wrote Insomniac...

31955478_116311819240428_779999153247118

5 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

Insomniac is my favorite album, I love the guitar tone on it and I love that there's no solos! I love the anger, they'll never make another album like that, and I don't want them to. Insomniac was written by 3 punks in their early 20s and that's what it sounds like and it's what I love about it, they got their anger out and moved on though, I love how happy they all are now.  Like the lyric in Jaded says, "always move forward".

I found this a couple weeks ago when I was reading an interview that was done just before nimrod was released, it definitely gives some good perspective to where they were when they wrote Insomniac...

Please post that whole interview I've never seen it before.

If you want Insomniac with a more modern approach, go and listen the HOB 2015 soundcheck where they played Stuart and the Ave. I like it, but doesn't mean I don't love that 15-layer guitar <3

2 hours ago, 1039Revolutions said:

As a "musician" I can tell that the trilogy is massively flawed. The songs are mediocre and sound awful production-wise. I've said in other threads that if it had been stripped down to one album it could've been ok - but it's definitely not their best work, whether you like Insomniac or not.

(no need to call @WhiteTim mentally challenged, argue your point but no need to get insulting)

1 hour ago, Maddie86 said:

That's a cool interview - similar to what Noel Gallagher said about Morning Glory 

i guess bands just get tired of their own hype after a while

1 hour ago, Joe. said:

As a "musician" I can tell that the trilogy is massively flawed. The songs are mediocre and sound awful production-wise. I've said in other threads that if it had been stripped down to one album it could've been ok - but it's definitely not their best work, whether you like Insomniac or not.

(no need to call @WhiteTim mentally challenged

The trilogy is not 'flawed' what-so-ever. The  production, mixing and engineering is perfect! If you don't like a lot of the songs that's one thing, but if you wanna look at a highly 'flawed' record from a production standpoint, you should look at RevRad. If you really are a musician, I wouldn't have to tell you that.

Most people don't realize what the actual intentions of the trilogy were. Capturing the mood of anticipating/celebrating an event, then the event, then reflecting everything after the fact and the hi's and lows that come with that. Green Day accomplished exactly that, and I think a lot of it is just too much for the average/ordinary fan to consume, and I don't blame them. Like Billie said, it takes a certain level of intelligence to understand the psychology.. not your fault.

13 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

Like Billie said, it takes a certain level of intelligence to understand the psychology.. not your fault.

I’ve seen Cuatro a dozen times and I do not recall where he said anything like this. 

2 hours ago, 1039Revolutions said:

The trilogy is not 'flawed' what-so-ever. The  production, mixing and engineering is perfect! If you don't like a lot of the songs that's one thing, but if you wanna look at a highly 'flawed' record from a production standpoint, you should look at RevRad. If you really are a musician, I wouldn't have to tell you that.

Most people don't realize what the actual intentions of the trilogy were. Capturing the mood of anticipating/celebrating an event, then the event, then reflecting everything after the fact and the hi's and lows that come with that. Green Day accomplished exactly that, and I think a lot of it is just too much for the average/ordinary fan to consume, and I don't blame them. Like Billie said, it takes a certain level of intelligence to understand the psychology.. not your fault.

I like a lot of the trilogy, but there are a lot of flaws, mostly lyrically.

Hey!
I like your BMW
I like your BM-excellent tits
With a tattoo of a pig sniffing glue

I guess maybe I just don't have the certain level of intelligence to understand what he was going for there... Billie was a mess around that time, and it shows in his lyrics. Some songs were focused and thought out and conveyed good emotion, but others seemed like pure filler. I feel like the trilogy is like nimrod in a lot of ways, in an old interview I think it was Mike who said that with nimrod they had 40 songs written, recorded 30, and then found the album within what they recorded, and I feel like the trilogy was the same way, they just had a ton of songs and then noticed that a lot of the songs were about partying so they made that the theme, I don't think they were written around it, I think the theme was added after the fact, it wasn't an intention, it was an excuse.

as for the production, some of those songs worked well with clean guitars, but energetic songs like Let Yourself Go and Nuclear Family definitely needed heavier guitar tones, and I think stay the night is a classic sounding green day song that could have used the same guitar tone as Scattered, a little heavier but not Insomniac level. I like how with the production they didn't over use the lo-fi intros like they did with revrad, it was pretty straight forward and I actually liked all the guitar shredding on the trilogy, the songs called for it, but I think an album like Insomniac sounds way better stripped down. I love the bass tone on the trilogy, but with the cleaner guitars they could have at least fattened up the drum sounds, I hate how the snare sounds and the vocals are so thin.

Can I ask you what other bands you're into? I'm getting the impression that you're not too into punk rock, which is a shame because that's Green Day's roots, and there's no changing your roots.

5 hours ago, Jollyroger118 said:

Please post that whole interview I've never seen it before.

I'll see if I can get pics of it up sometime tomorrow

• Hermione changed the title to Make A "Green Day" Wish to Billie Joe Genie

Archived