Time to vote in the GDC Awards 2018! Voting closes tomorrow, October 18th so get your votes in now! Read more... ×
Goofygoldfish

Ever been to Oakland?

Goofygoldfish

Hey :)

This summer, myself and a friend (both female if that alters anything) are heading to Oakland to see some of the Green Day sights. (very, very excited!) 

Some people have been telling us how unsafe Oakland is. We are aware, that like any city, it has good and bad/less good areas. We are not worried as such, but would like equally not to be complacent. 

If any of you can shed any light and help us at all to make sure we stay safe over there it would be really appreciated. 

Thanks in advance :happyhands:

Plankfan

Will be in Oakland/Berkley myself for a few days next month and this would be helpful!

Montclare

Yup!  I went last summer for the same reason (pics here) and also went again last month for the Longshot show in San Francisco.  I had no problems safety wise.  I don't drive, so I took public transportation and walked everywhere with no issues.  As long as you have common street sense (don't have your phone out, don't have earbuds in, don't look lost), you'll be fine.

Feel free to ask me any questions!

• Like 1

Goofygoldfish

@Montclare thank you for that, the photos are awesome, I hope we are successful at getting our own set soon.

Common sense... Yeah I've heard of that :P might try to find some to take with me :D

I've happily navigated a fair few big/capital cities so wasn't worried until everyone else seemed to be on my behalf! 

Thanks again for the reassurance! 

Montclare

@Goofygoldfish Yeah, a lot of people have the stereotype of Oakland from 30 years ago in their heads as opposed to the up and coming city it is.  And the people that moved there when they were priced out of San Francisco are now being priced out of Oakland.

Really the only slightly dangerous area you'll go to is West Oakland where the warehouse Billie and Mike lived at is located.

• Like 1

pacejunkie punk
22 hours ago, Montclare said:

Yup!  I went last summer for the same reason (pics here) and also went again last month for the Longshot show in San Francisco.  I had no problems safety wise.  I don't drive, so I took public transportation and walked everywhere with no issues.  As long as you have common street sense (don't have your phone out, don't have earbuds in, don't look lost), you'll be fine.

Feel free to ask me any questions!

I was just looking at your pictures again and noticed that in that row of back shops where Otis is Mark Becker also has his office. Didn’t know that 🙂

Montclare
49 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I was just looking at your pictures again and noticed that in that row of back shops where Otis is Mark Becker also has his office. Didn’t know that 🙂

It was, but I noticed it was gone last month.

It's Splash Time

I spent a lot of time walking around oakland/berkeley by myself (often with earphones in/phone out) when I was there in february, and had no problems. Everyone was friendly. [you can see my trip here]

• Like 1

Goofygoldfish
22 hours ago, Montclare said:

Really the only slightly dangerous area you'll go to is West Oakland where the warehouse Billie and Mike lived at is located.

Yeah, was planning to go there, but thinking it was enough to go in day rather than dark.... Others thought that was still silly! 

Thanks all of you, I'm glad to hear it's more as we thought, than like the doubters. 

Obviously it has to be wonderful, our beloved green day are from there :wub: