The Longshot Has Postponed Their West Coast Tour

Squashie

Man, something always goes wrong with GD-related tours. I hope everything works out OK.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Is that person giving the sign the finger? 🤔

I only just noticed that.

Yeah fuck the guy giving the finger. That’s so inconsiderate. I was bummed but it ain’t cancelled just postponed. Jeff’s Mom is more important. Especially with mother’s day Coming up, this blows man. 

4 hours ago, Mar said:

Man, something always goes wrong with GD-related tours. I hope everything works out OK.

Don't agree, given the logistics and numbers of folk involved I think their record for cancelling is pretty good, but I know how upsetting it is to lose your show.

Can we all just appreciate for a minute how amazing Billie is that he actually went to the venue to tell the fans in person? He didn’t have to do that but it tells you the kind of person he is that he did. ❤️

4 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Can we all just appreciate for a minute how amazing Billie is that he actually went to the venue to tell the fans in person? He didn’t have to do that but it tells you the kind of person he is that he did. ❤️

Absolutely, one of many reasons I love this band is that they haven't lost touch with reality.  How great of him to go and speak to the fans who turned up.

20 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Agreed!

Also "We will reschedule the other shows ASAP" sounds promising, hopefully most people will still get to see them.

Even if they were already in the area most bigger names like BJ probably wouldn't have shown up to meet fans and tell them in person. Class move by the band. 

You can tell that Billie is really disappointed about this just by his comments on Instagram and the fact that he turned up to the venue to explain it in person. Man, this is a situation where everyone loses. Jeff's mom is priority though and I hope he takes his time with her and doesn't feel pressured to return to the tour too soon.

2 hours ago, jengd said:

Don't agree, given the logistics and numbers of folk involved I think their record for cancelling is pretty good, but I know how upsetting it is to lose your show.

Kinda in reference to this, but I remember they said in an interview in September 2012 that they'd only missed 5 shows in their entire career. Does anyone know what that figure is now? They missed two RevRad shows (Glasgow and that World Cup of Hockey thing), so at least 7. Were there any trilogy shows that were cancelled and not rescheduled?

19 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Kinda in reference to this, but I remember they said in an interview in September 2012 that they'd only missed 5 shows in their entire career. Does anyone know what that figure is now? They missed two RevRad shows (Glasgow and that World Cup of Hockey thing), so at least 7. Were there any trilogy shows that were cancelled and not rescheduled?

Not sure about the Trilogy ones, I think some were cancelled and not replaced although a lot were,  but sure they lost at least one in the far east when Billie got food poisoning - I want to say Thailand and 2009 but could be wrong.  They also had to cancel once in Italy due to very severe storms, that was a festival (not an asshat promoter like Glasgow last year, not bitter, no, not at all...... )

25 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

They cancelled Italy 2012 when Billie was in the hospital.  They cancelled the remainder of the Insomniac  tour in Europe because they were  burned out and wanted to go home. But it’s rare that shows get cancelled and not reacheduled. These Longshot shows don’t even count because they are only being postponed.

The trilogy shows that were postponed were rescheduled but we don’t know how many shows were originally planned that never happened. There had to be a lot because a typical past tour had well over 100 shows and the 99 Revolutions tour in 2013 had less than 50. 

4 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

They cancelled Italy 2012 when Billie was in the hospital.  They cancelled the remainder of the Insomniac  tour in Europe because they were  burned out and wanted to go home. But it’s rare that shows get cancelled and not reacheduled. These Longshot shows don’t even count because they are only being postponed.

Forgot about that Italian one, sure there was an earlier one too, in fact I seem to remember them saying something about how bad they felt about having cancelled two shots in Italy during Revrad, found this 

Heineken Jammin' Festival 2010[edit]

Headlining acts: Aerosmith, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Pearl Jam. Green Day's performance was cancelled because of a heavy storm that caused damage to the stage and flooded the area. The band stayed long after to see if they could get out and play for their fans but the local authorities said that it wasn't safe.

Yeah they cancelled a whole European tour in 1996 due to being exhausted. 5 show statistic may be slightly fudged :P. But regardless I think they really don't cancel many shows compared to the average for big acts, and also that they really do try to only cancel if they absolutely have to (compared to some of the shit some other acts will cancel for :lol:)

I've had personal tragedies happen that prevented me from going to concerts I had tickets for, and it makes it all the more sad.   Of course the tragedy is more important than a rock show, but I would have loved to been able to release me grief and pain at a concert, it would have helped me heal.  

My mom died while a few days before a Cold concert.  The funeral was scheduled for the same day, and despite the biggest lose of my life, I was going to go to the show immediately after - as I said, to help myself heal.  Ended up there was no time and I have yet to see Cold live. They are currently my #13 favorite band, poetic if you know anything about those guys.   And even more poetic, they have a lot of songs dealing with cancer, death and lose.  The lead singer's wife and sister both battled cancer, and they are one of the most emotionally haunting bands I've ever heard.  If you can listen to any of their music without shedding a tear, you just might be a cold-hearted (no pun, I swear!)  bastard.  

I don' t recall what the situation was the next time this happened, but I had tickets to see Blue October and something serious came up days beforehand and the tickets were wasted. Blue October currently sit at #32.  Sadly, they've dropped from a much higher position, with me personal taste and their 2013-present diverging.  I'm a middle-years Blue October.   Their 2006-2011 albums were some of the greatest music I'd ever heard.  But going back to their older stuff and hearing what they have to offer now, I can't stand it.  And I've tried.  But anyway.

I hope that this situation turns itself around.   And not to be unfeeling or anything, but Billie could have done an acoustic set or had somebody fill in......Maybe the live iteration of The Longshot are brothers and are showing solidarity through tough times.  It's good.   If Mike or Tre had an issue, I'm sure a Green Day tour would be delayed, no question about it. 

They could have wrangled up a guest bass player and had them ready to go, but I think it shows that they really care about each other as humans and at the end of the day, life and health are more important than your job. 

Further proof that Billie Joe is a decent human being at the least.  :)

Thoughts are prayers....AND action if I were within reaching distance of the suffering and there was anything else I could do. 

A fill in bass player, even someone like Bill who played bass in the Coverups so knows many of the songs and is already on tour with them, would need time to rehearse and learn the new material so a break was needed either way.

As there were only a week of shows before a one week break it made sense (and was thoughtful) to give Jeff the time and a chance to come back before rushing to replace him and moving on. It would be up to Jeff I assume. Hopefully things will quickly resolve and he’ll be ready to rejoin, but if he felt like he couldn’t, I’m sure they would proceed with Bill or somebody as a replacement but only with Jeff’s blessing.

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

But regardless I think they really don't cancel many shows compared to the average for big acts, and also that they really do try to only cancel if they absolutely have to (compared to some of the shit some other acts will cancel for :lol:)

And they carry on with shows acoustically when all the power has given out unlike some who storm off in a hissy fit!

4 hours ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Were there any trilogy shows that were cancelled and not rescheduled?

Uh, yes. A lot. (Including Cleveland but I'M TOTALLY NOT BITTER)

14 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

One of Bruno’s friends still hates the band for not rescheduling that show.

Damn robots.

I mean, I have no experience with obsessing over other bands, so I really can't compare, but it seems a bit abnormal that the last three tours they've kicked off (trilogy, Rev Rad club shows and now this one) have all experienced early delays. Although you obviously can't anticipate an emergency or sickness, I understand if some fans are frustrated by the rescheduling and cancellations. They just don't need to vocalize it directly to the band, especially when it's something out of their control and they have enough to deal with already. :P 

Dear god, that's terrible. It seems perfectly reasonable to take time off right now. I'm sure everyone is rallying around Jeff; I really hope this works out ok.

I was curious if there are statistics about gig cancelations and while I couldn't find any feature that would compare artists I found stats for

Springsteen

https://brucebase.wikispaces.com/Rescheduled %26 Cancelled concerts

The Cure

http://www.cure-concerts.de/main/cancelled.php

Morrisey 

https://consequenceofsound.net/2014/06/heres-every-tour-morrissey-has-ever-canceled/

5 hours ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

1990/07/07 - The Unicorn, Milwaukee, Wisconsin - They didn't get to the venue until after the show had ended
1990/08/02 - The Grange, Fort Collins, Colorado - They were in Kansas at the time. They must have never called to cancel.
1991/06/15 - Toe Jam, Long Beach, California - They didn't make it
1991/06/29 - Cattle Club, Sacramento, California - Tre booked this show. Green Day claim it wasn't Tre, and just someone pretending to be him.
1991/08/15 - Audubon Skate Park, Louisville, Kentucky - They confessed to getting drunk and just not showing up
1991/12/31 - Juzi, Göttingen, Germany - Van broke down
1992/05/30 - ABC No Rio, New York, New York - Green Day played somewhere else instead because they got offered more money
1992/06/05 - The Pole Barn, Otsego, Michigan - They never showed up
1992/10/18 - Macondo, Los Angeles, California - Tre broke his foot so they cancelled
1993/01/05 - KC Pavillion, Corpus Christi, Texas - Cancelled due to illness

The following were all cancelled due to Mike's arm injury (Pulling Teeth is written about this):
1993/03/13 - Downtown Performance Center, Tucson, Arizona
1993/03/14 - Cosmic Art Space, Albuquerque, New Mexico 
1993/03/15 - Fitzgerald's, Houston, Texas 
1993/03/19 - The Cameo, San Antonio, Texas
1993/03/24 - Whisky A Go Go, Los Angeles, California

1994/08/15 - Bicentennial Park, Miami, Florida - Cancelled because of Mike's injuries at Woodstock
1994/08/16 - Volusia Country Fairgrounds, DeLand, Florida - Cancelled because of Mike's injuries at Woodstock
1995/10/16 - Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Portland, Oregon - Cancelled because they couldn't get their equipment there in time
1995/12/04 - Boutwell Auditorium, Birmingham, Alabama - cancelled so they could shoot the Brain Stew music video

I'm gonna stop there... but that 5 shows thing is bullshit :lol: 

1 hour ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

That's like me with the Glasgow show. It's just everytime someone mentions it I have to go off and smash a plate. 

:lol: 

Archived