Green Day fans launch campaign to get 'American Idiot' to No.1 for Donald Trump’s UK visit

pacejunkie punk

I wish I could contribute more despite being American and not having a massive social media following. I'm considering posting about it on instagram and just tagging a bunch of random stuff that Brits seem to love 😂

Even if it doesn't make it, it's pretty cool it's gotten the attention that it has already. Headlines mean more than specific numbers anyway.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good thing they didn't come out with this album while Trump was president because the title would be so vile it probably would never be released. Good for them and for us fans for making this happen. The album is so impactful and visceral that it has a meaningful social impact nearly 15 years after it's released.

And if there is a silver lining to this horrendous administration (and I'm saying this as a relatively non political person- I've always been a centrist), it's that this stuff completely inspires the best out of Green Day. So, in a perverse way, I think this is going to lead to the best they can deliver, and earlier than one would normally expect. BJA doesn't adhere to "album cycles" when he feels like the world is burning down.

Apparently, BJA doesn't adhere to album cycles anyways these days given his creative peak that he's reached, but if anything else I suspect Trump is the match to his gasoline at a moment. Buckle up- this should be fun.

It makes me happy to see that this has picked up and is getting all this attention now :D Let's hope it still climbs up in the charts.

Me: *plays American Idiot 186 times overnight* (yay for adequate sleep!)

1000 normal people: *each plays 3 Lions once*

Me: Oh 😞

So does the Broadway Cast Recording version count as the same song for charts purposes?  I’ve got it on CD but not downloaded it, wondering if that would be a waste of money or not?

20 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

So does the Broadway Cast Recording version count as the same song for charts purposes?  I’ve got it on CD but not downloaded it, wondering if that would be a waste of money or not?

I’d say it’s different because it’s a different recording and arrangement and vocals etc. But I’m no expert!

On social media it appears that “American Idiot”!is catching on as a nickname for Trump. And this is just getting so much publicity. I wouldn’t be surprised if it regularly gets blared at protests after this. 

I want to know how much Billie, Mike and Tre are loving this whole thing 😁

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I want to know how much Billie, Mike and Tre are loving this whole thing 😁

Oh you know they are loving it!  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44764277

This article is about the Three Lions song but there's some interesting information about song sales/streams, and a mention of American Idiot at the end but not a very positive one.

"In the midweek chart update, the song appears at number 18, but is likely to fall by the time the final chart is revealed on BBC Radio 1 this Friday."

I had no idea how complicated the charts are these days, this has been informative :lol: 

36 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44764277

This article is about the Three Lions song but there's some interesting information about song sales/streams, and a mention of American Idiot at the end but not a very positive one.

"In the midweek chart update, the song appears at number 18, but is likely to fall by the time the final chart is revealed on BBC Radio 1 this Friday."

It was written on the 9th though, so won’t have taken into account the increased press coverage over the past 2 days - it was only yesterday when major outlets really started to catch on.

Just now, Second favourite son said:

It was written on the 9th though, so won’t have taken into account the increased press coverage over the past 2 days - it was only yesterday when major outlets really started to catch on.

Good point actually! I am surprised by the coverage - i really didn't think it would take off to this extent.

3 hours ago, Second favourite son said:

Cast recording will not count as Green Day are not credited as the artist.

The versions that count are:

American Idiot

God’s Favourite Band

Bullet in a Bible

Awsome as F***

You could buy all 4 of these and have the sales combined.

Edit: Please note that Three Lions already has a comfortable lead at #1 and if England win tonight’s match, no other song will be able to touch it 😂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

17 minutes ago, tomdsjames said:

Edit: Please note that Three Lions already has a comfortable lead at #1 and if England win tonight’s match, no other song will be able to touch it 😂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

I doubt even an England loss would knock Three Lions off the top spot, but number 2 would still be Green Day’s highest ever UK singles chart position.  I’d totally take an England win and AI at number 2, but without the win it would just be disappointing :P

I just saw this tweet, which means that CNN is still on the story.

@billiejoe Hey, I'm Jess, I work for CNN. Wondering if you or your rep can reach out to me: Jessica.Moskowitz@turner.com

13 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

I just saw this tweet, which means that CNN is still on the story.

@billiejoe Hey, I'm Jess, I work for CNN. Wondering if you or your rep can reach out to me: Jessica.Moskowitz@turner.com

Guess they want a statement. I wonder if he’d prefer to stay out of it and keep it a fan thing.

What’s the chart status of the song as of now? I keep seeing different things.

29 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Guess they want a statement. I wonder if he’d prefer to stay out of it and keep it a fan thing.

Yeah there's a danger that it looks like the band is really just trying to get some extra sales/publicity if they get too involved with a thing like this. Better that it's just a statement being made by fans/people not pleased with Trump spontaneously than something that could be seen as a publicity stunt. We already know Billie likes the idea though, from when he posted about it before. I still remember his sassy "most people don't have to buy it because they already own it" quip to a commenter who complained :D 

Plus if the band were to promote it and it didn't wind up as number 1, then it looks like the band failed.

Well England lost. So that looks good for American Idiot getting to No. 1

Archived