Green Day fans launch campaign to get 'American Idiot' to No.1 for Donald Trump’s UK visit

pacejunkie punk

5 minutes ago, emmericanidiot said:

Yeah it does 👍🏻

Well, dang, my streams won't help then. I'm in the US.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's still climbing....#16 and #18 now on itunes. Will they combine that in the official charts? Idk how it works, lol 

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

GDA has been down for the last few days FYI.

Should be back up now!  (Yay for @Fuzz!)

2 hours ago, ¡Jenn! said:

It's still climbing....#16 and #18 now on itunes. Will they combine that in the official charts? Idk how it works, lol 

Yes all versions of the same song are combined.  It could also be downloaded from God’s Greatest Hits to count.  The 59p version has now cracked the top 15 on iTunes (#14) and still at #1 on Amazon.

edit: I obviously mean God’s Favourite Band 😂😂 I’ve worked 50 hours this week and my brain has stopped functioning. For any UK peeps who are wondering - live versions also count so you can download from Bullet in a Bible and Awesome as **** and all sales will be combined.

2 hours ago, squashie09 said:

Well, dang, my streams won't help then. I'm in the US.

Use NordVPN and select the United Kingdom 

It’s number 1 on amazon already, I reckon it’s gonna peak way too soon, but as long as it’s actually in the chart I’m happy.

I seem to remember this song was their highest ever U.K. single, at no 3. It would be funny if it beat they now. 

Still, I think 3 lions will give it a run for its money. 

They really should do a well publicized special event or rerelease for the anniversary and take advantage of the fact that it’s more relevant than ever.

31 minutes ago, The Disappearing Boy said:

I seem to remember this song was their highest ever U.K. single, at no 3. It would be funny if it beat they now. 

Still, I think 3 lions will give it a run for its money. 

Correct.  If you don’t include The Saints are Coming which made #2, American Idiot is their highest charting UK single at #3.

I said earlier that if England beat Sweden on Saturday, 3 Lions will more than certainly take #1 (especially if Brazil go out today, at the time of typing they’re losing 2-0 to Belgium 😍)

That’s surprising that they played to over 130,000 people in the UK in 2005 without a number one hit. 

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

That’s surprising that they played to over 130,000 people in the UK in 2005 without a number one hit. 

If I’m remembering correctly both American Idiot and BOBD topped the iTunes chart but it was before downloads became eligible in the charts so they peaked at 3 and 5 respectively based on physical CD sales.

29 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

They're a rock act. Even though rock was bigger then it was still quite unlikely for rock songs to chart highly in the UK with so much competition from pop and RnB etc, number 3 is impressive. Rock bands can sell out stadiums here but the singles chart not so much.

I think even if it doesn't get to number one American Idiot re-entering the charts at any position will be cool and make the point.

This is somewhat relating to the topic as it shows how the UK feels about Trump 😂

I must admit the song is doing slightly better than I anticipated but it hasn’t even made a dent on Spotify yet so still has a long ways to go.

Like Hermione has already said, even if it doesn’t make number 1 (which is likely), we could still be looking st the first time in 9 years Green Day have had a song in the UK Top 40 (21 Guns was the last.  Oh Love and Bang Bang both would have charted based on sales alone but had poor streaming figures so missed out on a top 40 position.)

2 hours ago, tomdsjames said:

Yes all versions of the same song are combined.  It could also be downloaded from God’s Greatest Hits to count.  The 59p version has now cracked the top 15 on iTunes (#14) and still at #1 on Amazon.

edit: I obviously mean God’s Favourite Band 😂😂 I’ve worked 50 hours this week and my brain has stopped functioning. For any UK peeps who are wondering - live versions also count so you can download from Bullet in a Bible and Awesome as **** and all sales will be combined.

Do live versions really count?! (Not arguing, just surprised :P Does that mean a live version of a song can never chart?). Maybe it’s time for me to actually buy the live tracks then!  For anyone wanting to contribute, buying the song is better than streaming it, but streaming it is wayyyy better than nothing, and as long as it’s ‘UK based’ then YouTube, Spotify AppleMusic and whatever all count.  I’ll be buying the live versions now, and then leaving my Spotify on repeat all night (obviously on mute).  Not yet at the stage of harassing friends, but that may well happen later on in the week :P 

10 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

Do live versions really count?! (Not arguing, just surprised :P Does that mean a live version of a song can never chart?

Unless there is no other version of the song (e.g. Cigarettes and Valentines), live versions and remixes have their sales combined with the original song, as long as it’s still the same artist and song.  So for example the live version of King For A Day/Shout would not go towards the sales of King For A Day, but any other live song would just have it’s sales combined with the original.

Green Day haven’t released any remixes but they’re the same deal as long as it’s the same song and artist.  Ed Sheeran sneakily did it with Perfect where he didn’t release the song as ‘Ed Sheeran and Beyoncé - Perfect’ but released it as ‘Ed Sheeran - Perfect (feat. Beyoncé)’ so it just combined the sales of the songs to score him a number 1.

59 minutes ago, tomdsjames said:

Correct.  If you don’t include The Saints are Coming which made #2, American Idiot is their highest charting UK single at #3.

I said earlier that if England beat Sweden on Saturday, 3 Lions will more than certainly take #1 (especially if Brazil go out today, at the time of typing they’re losing 2-0 to Belgium 😍)

Yeah, to be honest, I won’t mind if 3 lions gets to no 1 (guaranteed if we get to the final) as that’ll mean England are doing well!

Just curious, but is anyone requesting radio play for it? Wouldn't requesting the song to radio be more effective in getting the message across? (not knocking those who are buying/streaming it.) 

6 minutes ago, The Disappearing Boy said:

Yeah, to be honest, I won’t mind if 3 lions gets to no 1 (guaranteed if we get to the final) as that’ll mean England are doing well!

Oh yeah, if England get to the final, I'm 100% certain 3 Lions will be number 1.  I'd guess it will have the best sales for a single week all year.  "It's Coming Home" fever is already at dangerous levels across the country.

28 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

Do live versions really count?! (Not arguing, just surprised :P Does that mean a live version of a song can never chart?). 

Yeah, live versions and remixes have their sales combined with the original, as long as it's still the same song and artist.  A live version would only chart if there is no other version of the song available (e.g. Cigarettes and Valentines). The live version must be the same song and artist though.  So King For A Day/Shout from Bullet in a Bible wouldn't count towards the sales of King For a Day, and a cover version by another artist obviously wouldn't count.

You may remember Ed Sheeran sneakily using this to his advantage with the remixes of Perfect.  He released it as Ed Sheeran - Perfect (feat. Beyonce) rather than Ed Sheeran and Beyonce - Perfect, so the sales were combined with the original to score him a number 1.

If it’s coming fucking home beats this I’m gonna be so annoyed 😒. It needs to stay wherever it is and not bother coming home.

6 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

It's now at No. 10 on the iTunes chart!

Has radio play for it increased?

17 hours ago, emmericanidiot said:

It’s number 1 on amazon already, I reckon it’s gonna peak way too soon, but as long as it’s actually in the chart I’m happy.

I’m not sure how the Official Chart works but don’t they take into account the sales of the past week? Then it wouldn’t matter when the song was bought between now and Friday. But for the digital charts you may be right 

14 hours ago, emmericanidiot said:

If it’s coming fucking home beats this I’m gonna be so annoyed 😒. It needs to stay wherever it is and not bother coming home.

My neighbours are blasting It's Coming Home right now and they're not even English, good luck :lol: 

1 hour ago, ¡Jenn! said:

I’m not sure how the Official Chart works but don’t they take into account the sales of the past week? Then it wouldn’t matter when the song was bought between now and Friday. But for the digital charts you may be right 

That's what I thought. I haven't followed the charts since before downloads when you just used to listen to the top 40 on a Sunday but I assumed it's still just a list of the best selling songs from the past week's sales.

3 hours ago, ¡Jenn! said:

Anything that was bought before 0:00 on Friday won’t count towards this weeks chart.

American Idiot is now also in the top 10 on iTunes at #9, so it’s performing better than I thought it would, albeit still dead on the streaming side of things.

However, as of the time of typing, England are beating Sweden so I’d count on 3 Lions getting number 1 tbh (which I would actually be fine with.  It’s nice to see England being patriotic for once 😂.  The whole country is united, it doesn’t happen very often for us)

Archived