Green Day fans launch campaign to get 'American Idiot' to No.1 for Donald Trump’s UK visit

pacejunkie punk

@LaughingClock Not complaining that you got on to talking about Trump in this Trump related thread, but just so you know there is a Trump thread in General Chat for if you ever feel like discussing him/news about him (outside of when the subject is relevant in other threads like here). 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hermione said:

@LaughingClock Not complaining that you got on to talking about Trump in this Trump related thread, but just so you know there is a Trump thread in General Chat for if you ever feel like discussing him/news about him (outside of when the subject is relevant in other threads like here). 

But the conversation was kosher here right? It was relevant to thread.  Posting it in the general chat thread when it was a natural progression here would not be something I would do. I just wouldn’t post it.

But I didn’t do anything wrong here now, correct?

6 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

But the conversation was kosher here right? 

As I indicated at the beginning and end of my post, yes :P 

American Idiot is the highest climber on the UK rock chart this week up 8 places from #20 to #12. Maybe this is the start of the single climbing the charts before the Donald comes? 

6 minutes ago, RedundantIdiot said:

American Idiot is the highest climber on the UK rock chart this week up 8 places from #20 to #12. Maybe this is the start of the single climbing the charts before the Donald comes? 

It’s working! 😄

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It’s working! 😄

A bit to soon!! July 13th is ages away!

On 5/4/2018 at 9:51 AM, RedundantIdiot said:

Too funny. So brilliant.

On 5/4/2018 at 9:51 AM, RedundantIdiot said:

That’s exactly what it is whether it works or not, it’s alrwady been a successful campaign. I’m gonna check Billboard because I’m not thinking people understand the significance of those numbers. If they even tried-crack the top 10 it would be great.

We should shoot to do the same in America for July 4th which by the way AI (the song) always gets a boost on the 4th and on most Independence Days since AI, it gets a bump on the charts anyway. 

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd dig this out because we're getting closer and closer to the week. Friends in my facebook timeline who are not even GD fans are sharing posts from this page and I love it. So even if it doesn't work, I love that AI is getting attention from people who aren't crazy in love with GD.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is actually following this campaign, downloads and streaming begins at midnight tonight in order to hit number one when Trump is in the UK. 

I personally don’t think it has picked up anywhere near enough traction to top the charts.  The only one of these campaigns that has ever been successful was RATM which was all over the media for weeks leading up to it with the band themselves even getting involved.  There has been next to no publicity for this at all.

Besides, if any older song is hitting number one next week, it’s going to be Three Lions if England beat Sweden on Saturday 😂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿⚽️

I think UK fans should just forget the charts and focus instead on playing the song out loud in public whereever they can, and especially where Trump is likely to be.

Currently #1 on Amazon, #35 and #36 on iTunes (regular and deluxe edition)

I will download it later to do my part. GDA seems to be down at the moment but I'll mention we should have a post on there once it's back.

12 hours ago, Montclare said:

Honestly if he sees this it'll be almost as good as if American Idiot got to number one :lol: 

There's a version that's only 59p on itunes so I went and bought it. It's at #32 on the itunes chart, the 99p version is #34 :lol: 

YouTube views now count as part of the chart as of today, so just leaving it playing on repeat while you’re doing other stuff could be an idea 👍🏻 

10 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

It's up to 22/23 on iTunes :lol: 

Reckon we can keep this up for a week?

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

GDA seems to be down at the moment but I'll mention we should have a post on there once it's back.

I can write one in the hope that GDA is back up in time 

10 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

Good question. It's only the first day of eligability but will people buy it now to get it out of the way or will more people buy it last minute? Hmm.

33 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

I don't know any more about when it'll be back btw so I won't tell you to write it :lol:, there's a week to buy it though so hopefully it can be done.

1 hour ago, Second favourite son said:

If the hype picks up, it could keep going up.  There's 234,000 followers on the GDA Facebook page; something could be put there in the meantime.

Does this only count towards the charts from UK/Europe geotags? 

12 minutes ago, squashie09 said:

Does this only count towards the charts from UK/Europe geotags? 

Yeah it does 👍🏻

Archived