Green Day fans launch campaign to get 'American Idiot' to No.1 for Donald Trump’s UK visit

pacejunkie punk

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

😂😂😂

This is amazing, I already shared it on my channels. I can't do anything from where I live, but this is worth sharing anyway! Come on UK people, you can do this!

Edit: Shouldn't this get its own thread to get more attention? @Hermione

29 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

Edit: Shouldn't this get its own thread to get more attention? @Hermione

Sure why not

Pretty amusing idea! People managed to get Killing In the Name to Christmas no. 1 just to stop the Pop Idol winner getting it one year so could be possible.

Shared this on my Facebook and a surprising number of people liked it, tweeted it too but not much luck there. There’s an Instagram for it now too https://www.instagram.com/trumpidiot and perhaps if people start tagging the band in the posts we could really get this going a bit. 

American Idiot has been in the UK rock singles charts a lot in recent years. Therefore, with a strong campaign behind it, it's definitely feasible to get it to #1. 

5 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

I think it’s just the song not the album, correct?

Just the song 👍🏼

Yaaaas I'm here for it. RAGM was a great moment, and shows it's definitely possible! 

Ay I support this fully. Buy the fuck out of this song my fellow Great Britainners:toocool:

Hate to be a 'Debbie Downer' (because trust me when I say I would love for this to be successful), but the campaign doesn't stand a chance with only Green Day fans interested.  No songs get to number one these days without huge streaming numbers backing them up.

The RATM thing was a bit like catching lightning in a bottle.  It was successful because there were plenty of non-RATM fans who participated because they were fed up of how stale the Christmas charts had become in the UK with the X-Factor winner pretty much guaranteed the number one 1 spot.  It also helped that the band were backing the campaign - they donated all proceeds to charity and offered to play a free gig in the UK if it was successful.  The people behind the campaign also had multiple TV appearances leading up to the week when the single had to be purchased.

There has been several campaigns to get songs to Christmas number one since the RATM incident (Highway to Hell, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Many of Horror) and none them have been successful - and that was before streaming became as influential on the charts as it currently is.

I would love for this to be successful but it needs a hell of a lot more backing and promotion than it has at the moment.

:lol:he is responding to posts on that Instagram above. 

He told someone to "go fuck your gun you loser" :lol::lol::lol:

might be the best thing he's ever said, he has to get that line into a song.

2 hours ago, tomdsjames said:

Hate to be a 'Debbie Downer' (because trust me when I say I would love for this to be successful), but the campaign doesn't stand a chance with only Green Day fans interested.  No songs get to number one these days without huge streaming numbers backing them up.

The RATM thing was a bit like catching lightning in a bottle.  It was successful because there were plenty of non-RATM fans who participated because they were fed up of how stale the Christmas charts had become in the UK with the X-Factor winner pretty much guaranteed the number one 1 spot.  It also helped that the band were backing the campaign - they donated all proceeds to charity and offered to play a free gig in the UK if it was successful.  The people behind the campaign also had multiple TV appearances leading up to the week when the single had to be purchased.

There has been several campaigns to get songs to Christmas number one since the RATM incident (Highway to Hell, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Many of Horror) and none them have been successful - and that was before streaming became as influential on the charts as it currently is.

I would love for this to be successful but it needs a hell of a lot more backing and promotion than it has at the moment.

Could enough people be pissed off about Trump that it could work though? You're right, it'll have to catch on and get a lot more promotion. 

Bit of a shame that Billie deleted the post, understandable that he regretted going off in the comments as he has before but now it isn't promoted on his Instagram

28 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Could enough people be pissed off about Trump that it could work though? You're right, it'll have to catch on and get a lot more promotion. 

Bit of a shame that Billie deleted the post, understandable that he regretted going off in the comments as he has before but now it isn't promoted on his Instagram

Just to give an idea on how many people would need to back this for it to be successful, here's a few figures from the last few UK number ones:

This week's number one 'sold' 83,845 units, of which 24,980 were from sales and 58,508 were from streaming points.

Last week sold 70,106 units, of which 22,427 were from sales and 47,679 were from streaming points.

The previous week was 51,187 consisting of 9,409 sales and  41,778 streaming points.

I can go back further but I think the last few weeks shows how much of an impact streaming has on the charts against actual paid for sales.  In order for a song to receive a 'sale' on Spotify, it needs to be streamed 150 times.  It also only counts 10 plays per user per day to avoid people trying to 'play' the system.  Therefore, just to get a minimum of 40,000 streaming points (which realistically is the least it would need to get a number one), we would need around 85,714 people to stream the song 10 times a day in the week leading up to the chart.

I definitely don't doubt there are enough people pissed at Trump in the UK to make it work, but the page is over 12 months old and still only has around 10k likes. They really need to 'up' their promotion of the campaign if they want it to be successful.  Green Day getting involved in some way would obviously help, just like it did with the RATM campaign.

1 minute ago, tomdsjames said:

Just to give an idea on how many people would need to back this for it to be successful, here's a few figures from the last few UK number ones:

This week's number one 'sold' 83,845 units, of which 24,980 were from sales and 58,508 were from streaming points.

Last week sold 70,106 units, of which 22,427 were from sales and 47,679 were from streaming points.

The previous week was 51,187 consisting of 9,409 sales and  41,778 streaming points.

I can go back further but I think the last few weeks shows how much of an impact streaming has on the charts against actual paid for sales.  In order for a song to receive a 'sale' on Spotify, it needs to be streamed 150 times.  It also only counts 10 plays per user per day to avoid people trying to 'play' the system.  Therefore, just to get a minimum of 40,000 streaming points (which realistically is the least it would need to get a number one), we would need around 85,714 people to stream the song 10 times a day in the week leading up to the chart.

I definitely don't doubt there are enough people pissed at Trump in the UK to make it work, but the page is over 12 months old and still only has around 10k likes. They really need to 'up' their promotion of the campaign if they want it to be successful.  Green Day getting involved in some way would obviously help, just like it did with the RATM campaign.

Ah I didn't notice it was that old. Have to hope it somehow catches on in a big way then I suppose :P 

3 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Ah I didn't notice it was that old. Have to hope it somehow catches on in a big way then I suppose :P 

Like you said before, it's a shame Billie deleted the post from his instagram.  Kerrang have posted about the campaign recently.  Fingers crossed it starts gaining some traction.

Is it the aim to get number 1 on the official chart or the rock chart?

13 minutes ago, Smoldering Panda said:

Is it the aim to get number 1 on the official chart or the rock chart?

Official. But of course it charting on the rock chart/at all would also be good.

Archived