3 New Longshot EPs Released on SoundCloud

Jon Benjamin

I still dont get how the mixing on Razor Baby is so bad. I tried listening to it multiple times in multiple places and it still is barely understandable to me >.<

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All these new songs are giving me life. Love the heavier sound of Fever Blister and Punk vibe of  I’ve got my problems. Great covers- I’ve always loved million miles , and as a Beatles fan the These Paper Bullets tracks just make me so so happy. I couldn’t love Billie Joe any more than I do right now. ❤️❤️❤️ . Well except if Longshot came to the Uk. 

5 minutes ago, Jirachi said:

I still dont get how the mixing on Razor Baby is so bad. I tried listening to it multiple times in multiple places and it still is barely understandable to me >.<

I think he was going for a certain sound but I do prefer it if I can make out the lyrics. I like the overall sound but it’s frustrating. That’s why these are unreleased demos though maybe he was unhappy with it too. I find the process interesting.

3 hours ago, Jirachi said:

I mean, most of the songs from the EPs are clearly demos, or anyway tracks at a non-final production stage. There’s a reason if they’ve been uploaded on SoundCloud. 

10 minutes ago, J a c said:

I mean, most of the songs from the EPs are clearly demos, or anyway tracks at non-final production stage. There’s a reason if they’ve been uploaded on SoundCloud. 

Absolutely, even the best ones (as recording quality) are not very clean takes.. :-)

1 hour ago, Nightlife said:

Not getting the love for Southern Girls, at least not yet. Fever Blister though. Imagine that shit live :runaround:

Fever Blister live @ 4:30, you're welcome :)

3 hours ago, Q-Man said:

I never understood the love for Dreamcatcher. I always thought it was decent but understood completely why they never put it out. Now Olivia on the other hand is a song I would love to get a studio version of one day!

I like Dream Catcher, but not Olivia :confused:

Other than the Bullets tracks, I'm finding the rest to be pretty meh.  I see why these were left off the album.

23 minutes ago, Todd said:

I like Dream Catcher, but not Olivia :confused:

Me too, same with ''Oh Girl'', I don't get why some peeps found it extraordinary... :-)

2 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Dreamcatcher > Olivia > Oh Girl

Dreamcatcher > Anything

13 hours ago, SumDay said:

People always want them to go back to their roots - I don't think we will get any nearer than with this Longshot project. Billie/Green Day basically went from writing punk rock operas, performing at award shows and on television to releasing covers on soundcloud.. which - at first glance - sounds like a failing career but is more like the beginning of a much more creative and free process of writing and making music.. which is absolutely fantastic! 

And way healthier. I was always thinking about how Billie is able to cope with the media and public appearances considering his severe anxiety. I'm neither a doctor nor a therapist - and absolutely not in the position to judge - but I think alcohol definitely helped him but also made him kinda megalomaniacal. Because dropping a second, bigger rock opera after AI for sure is insane. 

The sound of the Trilogy was definitely a step back from the previous two records, but considering the promotion they were definitely again aiming for the big success. Not saying they were only making it for the money, but they sure wanted to make something huge out of it. RevRad was the first 'sober' record and was kinda lowkey, considering they recorded it without telling the label etc. 

I guess you could say Billie, Mike & Tré are done with all this big 'mainstream' fame. They sure love playing shows and I'm pretty sure they will never stop wanting to fill the big stadiums. But I also think they definitely want to focus more on making music and having fun whilst doing & performing it rather than topping Dookie, AI or 21st. 

I agree.  I think that at least some of Billie's problems came from the non stop work he was putting in after that album came out to promote it.  And then the bigger rock opera that came next.   and then THREE ALBUMS in 2012 because it just kept escalating with each passing era.  How can I make something people will call great after a record like that?   

When I heard Revolution Radio, I thought "Yes! Billie's finally done worrying about outdoing Idiot!"   Not that he isn't always trying to make a great album, but it doesn't have to be massively epic or tell a punk rock love story or be turned into a musical.  

With Rev Rad and The Longshot, I think Billie is finding his voice again, or a new voice.  He's in love with all these great tunes from the past and I believe he's trying to find a way to write songs like the ones that he loves, but at the same time make them new and his own.   And Love is for Loser is a fantastic album with some great ideas.  

These demos show that the record could have went in a totally different direction or been wider in scale.  

I've been kind of uncomfortable with Mike and Tre not being involved -but I think in the long run it will do the band some good.  Billie will team up with them with all these weird sounds and oldies zooming around his head and they will get to banging out some tunes, and before we know it.........

GREEN DAY 13.   

RELEASED.  

I've Got My Problems feels like a spiritual successor to Angel Blue.

I am (a) Rock is easy and so satisfying to play on guitar.  You know what, I've had a bad day today.  I'm going to go make a record!  

15 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

I've been kind of uncomfortable with Mike and Tre not being involved -but I think in the long run it will do the band some good.  Billie will team up with them with all these weird sounds and oldies zooming around his head and they will get to banging out some tunes, and before we know it.........

I think Tré & Mike being on their own is part of the band's rehabilitation from the always-bigger-always-better mentality.

So, on one hand, you'll have Billie just pouring out all of his creativity (thus being more focused perhaps in terms of having a clear mind e.g.) whilst having the time of his life without a label stopping him. And, on the other one, you'll have the mentally refreshed and happy Mike & Tré with their newly recharged batteries. I wouldn't worry that much about them kinda disappearing, I guess they just wanted to do something chill after being a fulltime musician or - more specific - being non-stop in the spotlight and under pressure for about a decade. Apparently founding a coffee brand is kinda refreshing in contrast to non-stop touring etc.  

Now just imagine if these two/three parties reunite one day.. not a fan of speculating about a new Green Day record at this date, but I'll guess it will be some pretty good shit. 

Tl;dr: I think this is healthiest state of mind the band has ever been in, which will make us very, very happy

11 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

You know what, I've had a bad day today.  I'm going to go make a record!  

- Billie on the day of creating The Longshot

Love Fever Blister.. should've been on RevRad!

More songs like this please!!

A good version of state of shock would be kewl. Also how good would it if he did an interview and got asked about his thought process for all this stuff and asked about songs like dream catcher/olivia etc etc/ why not play DRB live. So many unanswered questions for the great man haha. 

11 hours ago, Doggins said:

Heres the scene from OW with Fever Blister by LES Skunks

Shit, toally forgot! And I have the DVD, haha..

isnt give it all to you the song   released a few years ago when these paper bullets was about to premiere?

27 minutes ago, nopride84 said:

isnt give it all to you the song   released a few years ago when these paper bullets was about to premiere?

Yes keep you satisfied and give it all to you were done for these paper bullets however the Billie versions wasn’t released 

16 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Yes keep you satisfied and give it all to you were done for these paper bullets however the Billie versions wasn’t released 

I just did a search and the billie version of give it all was the one released

1 minute ago, nopride84 said:

I just did a search and the billie version of give it all was the one released

The videos I found is the cast recording but I just clicked the first video that popped up 

Archived