The Longshot - 2018/07/10 - The Observatory, Santa Ana, California, USA

pacejunkie punk

Teenage Kicks!

desertrose

• Like 1

desertrose

pacejunkie punk

@BrendanL

^^^ Great recap! I hadn’t heard that about the charity that’s so typically awesome of him 👏.  I saw the video of the latter half of the crowd surf but there isn’t one of him diving into the crowd. How did that look? 

squashie09
20 minutes ago, BrendanL said:

During Chasing A Ghost he said that all of the proceeds from the show were going to a charity that supports undocumented children at the border - I forget the name of the charity - and that he’d be matching every dollar. It was a very emotional moment and one of the coolest things I’ve seen. 

This is why we ❤️ him. 

I hope someone has a full video of Chasing a Ghost.

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

@BrendanL

^^^ Great recap! I hadn’t heard that about the charity that’s so typically awesome of him 👏.  I saw the video of the latter half of the crowd surf but there isn’t one of him diving into the crowd. How did that look? 

Video of Billie jumping in:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

pacejunkie punk

^^^ That’s a different dive because he got right out and didn’t surf around the room. 

squashie09
1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

^^^ That’s a different dive because he got right out and didn’t surf around the room. 

He put the guitar down then jumped back in. I saw video of it but can't find it now. It was durning the breakdown of turn me loose.

• Like 1

Hearts4444

Has anybody seen even a short video of Billie talking about the charity during chasing a ghost?.   

Fadedintwilight
On 7/11/2018 at 8:43 AM, BrendanL said:

He only calmed down after a couple of punches to the face from the security guard at the barricade, which was a welcome sight.

I was wondering what the security was doing leaning over the barricade!

• Like 2

desertrose

• Like 1

desertrose

• Like 1
  • Love 1

tdlyon

Really cool that he didn't even mention the charity thing on social media or anything, really shows that he cares about the cause and not the good publicity it would bring him

• Like 2

silviagreen
11 hours ago, Fadedintwilight said:

This one has the charity talk @Hearts4444 

I uploaded 6 videos from last nights show just now.

Thanks for the video 😊 Can you tell me the name of the charity? I don't understand what he's saying 

• Like 1

Fadedintwilight
14 minutes ago, silviagreen said:

Thanks for the video 😊 Can you tell me the name of the charity? I don't understand what he's saying 

RAICES- The Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services 

• Like 2

blueshadows

Aww what a wonderful thing to do.

Billie is amazing :wub:

Kuromignonne
On 7/11/2018 at 5:43 PM, BrendanL said:

My thoughts:

Very rough crowd in the middle of the pit - which is no problem, I can hold my own just fine. Unfortunately I was next to a couple of real fucking pricks for most of the night, including one guy who was being extremely rough with the crowd surfers, going as far as to hit some of them as they were going overhead. He was making a scene about “being kicked in the face” by the crowd surfers, as if nobody else was either 🙄. He only calmed down after a couple of punches to the face from the security guard at the barricade, which was a welcome sight. 

During Neat Neat Neat, Billie had the crowd up on stage like he did during Chasing A Ghost at some of the east coast shows. Damn near every one of them had their phones out, trying to get a selfie - Billie was quite aggressively swatting their phones out of his face, good on him. Some people stuck around on stage for selfies long after he asked them to leave and had to be physically dragged away by Hans and Bill, one women looked to be in tears that she couldn’t get a picture with Billie Joe. It was bad. 

Billie sounded as good as he ever has and was having such a great time - at one point he left his guitar on stage and crowd surfed halfway around the semi-circle shaped venue and then back to the stage through the pit 😂. I was hoping he’d make it all the way around to the other side of the stage. During Chasing A Ghost he said that all of the proceeds from the show were going to a charity that supports undocumented children at the border - I forget the name of the charity - and that he’d be matching every dollar. It was a very emotional moment and one of the coolest things I’ve seen. 

The band played their usual set but came on for a second encore which included Fever Blister, Love is for Losers (again), Teenage Kicks, and two of three other covers. Jeff had to learn Teenage Kicks right there on stage and didn’t seem to know what was happening during the other covers - he was imploring everyone in the band to help him! That was a funny sight. 

So for better or for worse it was a crazy fucking show, at least from my perspective in the pit. The people on stage left a bad taste in my mouth so to speak, but the band played a killer last show and I wouldn’t have missed it. Was lucky enough to catch the last pick that Billie threw into the crowd and my brother picked up one of the limited posters, so we both got some cool souvenirs. Would like to hear what other people thought of the show too - cheers.

I think you must've been on the same side as me! I was near the middle front of the pit a little on the right (from the audience's point of view) and I wasn't able to carry Billie when he did that long crowdsurfing. I only touched his leg when he jumped on the audience a few seconds with his guitar.

I was second to arrive in line before 5 am but dozens of people had early reservation and got in before everyone else waiting in the heat all day, which I as many others there didn't know about before, and I couldn't make it to 1st row, but I still managed to keep a 2nd-3rd row place and most of the time a very good view on Billie despite my smallness.

The show was great, Billie was in shape and sang marvelously, hearing his voice was the thing that kept me from fainting as the show was going on because I quickly got dehydrated and received several feet in the face from crowdsurfers. Also some people in front of me, 1st row were hitting me with their elbow or crushing my feet while I wasn't trying to move forward but just to keep my place and was pushed by behind. A few people around me pushed enough to get 1st row but that was causing fights and I didn't want to add to that, I was pretty satisfied with my sight. The only problem was to be in the way of most of the crowdsurfers. I tried to help carrying some but raising my head and my arms I got hit in the face with my glasses, near my eyes twice so most of the time I just bent down protecting my head and let the taller and stronger fellows around me catch the crowdsurfers.

I wasn't personally too bothered as a whole by the audience, not everyone was savage (and before the show I did meet many nice people), some people around me asked me several times if I was okay, but indeed the people who got on stage only cared about putting their phone in front of Billie's face and pushed him, I found them disrespectful. I'm glad that stage invasion didn't last long. I admit it's enjoyable to see stuff from the show afterwards (I could distinctly hear through videos of Chasing a Ghost Billie's speech while I could't hear it perfectly during the show) but all the cell phones are too much. Mine was off and kept by someone else because I didn't have any deep enough pocket. The only reason I had it was to call a uber at the end of the show, my hotel being +1 hour from the Observatory by foot. I think people holding their cell phone and wanting to catch stuff on it is a main reason of them not paying attention to others around and sometimes pushing unscrupulously. You can't do everything at the same time and do it well, pay attention to the show, be careful to others, be careful to yourself and watch through your phone... unfortunately that goes a lot before the rest, I don't know why but to me it sucks, whatever you can find online afterwards. During Chasing a Ghost Billie shook his head no pointing his finger at people holding their phone in the front while singing "staring at my phone".

I loved Billie calling us miserable bastards between Taxi Driver and Happiness. I felt nothing but that. I threw on stage the flag I had brought during Happiness as I couldn't do much with it anyways and I only saw him spitting a chewing-gum around where it had landed, a little while after. He asked: "Are you happy? You can't be that happy?" I was happy to see him there and miserable at the same time, I put everything behind to go while until now I had put my job in prior to the rest. before. Now it's withdrawal, I'm losing my job because of that trip and really feel betrayed after all I've gave. I have no idea what I'm going to do, I won't easily find another one when potential employers will see why I've lost that one and I'm not sure I want to continue doing the same job. I'm probably not made for that, I got along well for more than 2 years because I thought that in this office we could get over strict rules but this proves me wrong, what I gave my boss without any obligation nor reward doesn't count when for the first time I put something before. I wonder if I'll try to go live in Oakland and find a job there, I loved it when I quickly visited it before the day of the show. For now it's just a thought. I don't regret the slightest having made this trip though. I hope some good will come out of what I'm beginning to go through. I'm just sad and depressed at the moment and need to rest from all of it, the tiredness of that short intense round trip and the bad welcome I had at work today.

We didn't meet Billie after the show, he only waved his hand goodbye through the window of the Longshot's tour van leaving, but we were so many to wait I'm not sure he could have spent a real minute with each of us anyways. I hope to have better occasions to thank him another time. 

• Like 3

desertrose

pacejunkie punk

Full stage dive 🤘

• Love 1

pacejunkie punk

solongfromthestars
On 7/13/2018 at 12:47 PM, Kuromignonne said:

Now it's withdrawal, I'm losing my job because of that trip and really feel betrayed after all I've gave. I have no idea what I'm going to do, I won't easily find another one when potential employers will see why I've lost that one and I'm not sure I want to continue doing the same job. I'm probably not made for that, I got along well for more than 2 years because I thought that in this office we could get over strict rules but this proves me wrong, what I gave my boss without any obligation nor reward doesn't count when for the first time I put something before. I wonder if I'll try to go live in Oakland and find a job there, I loved it when I quickly visited it before the day of the show. For now it's just a thought. I don't regret the slightest having made this trip though. I hope some good will come out of what I'm beginning to go through. I'm just sad and depressed at the moment and need to rest from all of it, the tiredness of that short intense round trip and the bad welcome I had at work today.

Glad you had such a great time at the show but I'm so sorry to hear this actually happened :( I remember us talking about it being a possibility for both of us in Home Depot but I thought you'd be fine. I'll find out tomorrow but I think I might be in the same boat. I won't regret it either though. Hopefully we'll laugh about it in five years' time.

• Love 1

basketcase4933

Lovely to meet you @Kuromignonne (I'm @solongfromthestars' mum!) and so sorry to hear you lost your job. I hope you find something else soon and hope to see you again some time.

uptightallthetime

Everything has pretty much been covered in the above posts but I just want to say hello to the lovely people I met in line.   I was behind @Kuromignonne in line all day.  I'm so sorry to hear about your job, I know you were concerned about it and I wish you all the best in finding something else.  You never know, a better job could be just around the corner and you would have the Longshot to thank for it.   Also, @solongfromthestars and your Mum @basketcase4933 - great to chat with you and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip.

I feel like between the band and the crowd we gave Longshot the send off it deserves.   They were amazing and gave us so many encore songs and the crowd was energetic, lots of crowdsurfing and a real party atmostphere.   I hope this isn't the end for good because I love this music and the shows are so much fun.    I was a few people away from helping Billie crowdsurf before he changed trajectory and had eye contact with him and Kevin which is always a treat.   I wasn't sure about the venue and after arriving to find a reservations/early entry line I debated all day and decided we would go on the second tier rather in the pit.   Best decision as we could see it all happening in the pit and on stage and we were eye level with the band.   I don't think I have jumped that much throughout a show before and it was bloody brilliant.   The charity donation was very touching and Billie handled the people on stage really well in terms of making sure they got off at the end of the song.   I love that the crowd was not going anywhere and wanted that extra encore.    Hans and Lee came out to start dismantling drums and were very quickly called back and that was a great feeling to know it wasn't quite over yet.

Also, the next day we boarded the same flight as Jeff.   I was wearing my red Longshot t-shirt😬

Edit: @Kuromignonne I just tried to direct message you but can't?   

Edited by uptightallthetime
  • Like 1

desertrose