Todd

The Longshot - 2018/05/25 - Black Cat, Washington, District of Columbia, USA

solongfromthestars
12 minutes ago, Lilly89 said:

Even if you're right and you really watched the concert. Does it make it less hard?  

If I "really watched the concert"? I'm on the photos on the Longshot Instagram in the pink/blue check shirt, but sure :lol:

I think the way he was treated by some fans was disgusting and not at all "punk," just rabid, which is why I don't feel "but it's a punk show" is a valid excuse. I don't agree that feeling that way is infantilizing him either. But there's no point in exaggerating to prove my point. We have no way of knowing exactly how he felt unless he tells us. I know I saw him look uncomfortable at points, but that still doesn't tell me what was going on in his head. Other people are going to disagree anyway. It's a pointless debate.

• Like 2

uptightallthetime

I’m all out of popcorn.    

Looking forward to seeing the Toronto pics/vids/posts tomorrow and I mean that sincerely. *zero irony*

Lilly89

You don't have a photo on here or as profile pic. So how do you think strangers would recognize you?

Sure, I never denied that we can discuss it. But as a human being normally we have a thing called empathy.  Thats what we learn around 3 or 4. To tell what a person feels, from the look he/she gives us. And from the photo you can tell that he doesn't look comfortable at this moment.

The thing is as I said before: Do you really think he would tell  people afterwards that he was feeling uncomfortable? After he invited his fans? This is like getting a tattoo and complaining that it hurts after it-

What doesn't mean that it was okay or can be justified.

As I said. The fact that he invited fans on stage is something that tells " I trust you "

And to me and I can speak for others it looked like the trust was hit by the selfish wish to get photos on instagram.

It's not only the fact that he fell down. It's the reason behind it.

Edited by Lilly89
  • Like 1

Maddie86

So I was at the Baltimore show, I posted a review in the other thread and I posted this link there too (I hope it works)

https://www.facebook.com/maddie.novak.501/videos/150706135800996/

yeah, it did get awkward and he looked uncomfortable but I don't think Billie was super bothered by it. He did invite people up for Chasing A Ghost, and then people left the stage and no one went back up during any of the encores. Billie seemed to be in high spirits for the encores too, if he almost had to go to the hospital after people came up on stage then I doubt they would have come back out. During an encore song he even spit up at the ceiling and then it dripped back down, I laughed but it was pretty gross. He definitely spat on someone's phone too when some kid tried to take a selfie with him on stage, it was really funny!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lilly89

i didn't say he went to the hospital during the encore. I said it was close after the show.  And it's a really true fact that someone really close to the band confirmed, who was also really worried..

What you discuss about it, is the other thing.

, it was really funny!

Probably not for the kid that owned the phone. But I totally understand BJA

solongfromthestars

No one on GDC is trying to justify it :confused: I said I think it was disgusting and others have too. I feel that way regardless of Billie's opinion. But there's no need for exaggerating and aggressiveness towards people who weren't even the ones excusing it.

Sorry mods if this is still off topic - feel free to remove my posts if so! I just wanted to clarify what actually happened.

• Love 1

Lilly89

I would have died to know what he told Jeff and his other guys after the show in detail.

neverdone2000
3 minutes ago, Lilly89 said:

I would have died to know what he told Jeff and his other guys after the show in detail.

Well it couldn’t have been anything too bad, because both Kevin & David posted about how much they loved having fans on stage.

• Like 1

Hermione

@Lilly89 and the rest of you guys, you've been asked to stop this repetitive argument about how Billie felt, which is something only he knows so there's not much point in debating it. Stop it now please.

On with discussing the show without speculating on Billie's inner thoughts about it (which are his business not ours to guess about) please.

• Like 1

solongfromthestars

Did anyone save the full livestream? I know I'm on it and I'd love to watch it when I get home. Sorry if it's already been posted, I've been on buses and planes and missed a lot.

pacejunkie punk

There you have it. End of story.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

duckez

I watched videos of this show and I wonder if it would be that crazy if there were no phones, because the videos from 1992 and 1993 looked peaceful compared to this. Not that I would know for sure because I wasn't alive back then.

Jet Taman
14 hours ago, duckez said:

I watched videos of this show and I wonder if it would be that crazy if there were no phones, because the videos from 1992 and 1993 looked peaceful compared to this. Not that I would know for sure because I wasn't alive back then.

I was alive.  Just watch Woodstock 1994.  I was there too.  It got just as crazy.  No selfies though.  Then again, Green Day was not as big back then so who knows.

However, watch this video from a Morrissey show who, back in 1993 was pretty big.  The crowd started getting up on stage and it did get just as crazy without cameras.  People were literally tearing his shirt off, tackling him, and eventually there were so many people on there that he completely disappeared.

desertrose

Jane Lannister

^this is horrific :cry:

Jet Taman
On 5/29/2018 at 2:43 PM, basketcase4933 said:

I was one of the people who got knocked out. Since we're talking age here, I'm 59 and I'm disabled. I waited in line all day in the heat because it was my dream to see Billie in a venue like this. @solongfromthestars paid for me to go because she knew how much it meant to me. Up until I was knocked out, it was the best night of my life. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was mesmerised. I couldn't believe I was one of the lucky people able to attend one of these shows. I've been to 45 Green Day shows, but this topped them all. Being in a 750 capacity venue seeing The Longshot was my moment. I didn't need anything else.

I can handle front row very well and I was absolutely fine, until people became completely rabid. I was being punched and kicked in the head, having my hair ripped out and people were trying to trample me down. They were leaping onto me with no respect whatsoever. At one point a guy had his hands around my throat. My daughter was screaming at them to go over her instead of me because I'm disabled and they couldn't have cared less - she just got called a slut! When I was finally unconscious and slumped over the amp, they wouldn't even stop for security to get me out. I was broken when I came to at the back of the venue, to find one of them taking photos of me because she thought it was funny.

I know peoples' reactions are "you're an old lady, don't go to a punk show if you don't want to get hurt". But I know it's a punk show. I know people stage dive, crowd surf and rush the stage. I've been going to punk shows for years. This wasn't just rushing the stage and there was nothing punk about the way they did it. They just thought having their moments was more important than the other 650 people in the venue.

I want to be clear that I don't feel entitled to the front row or a certain experience because of my age, how long I waited in line, what it meant to me, etc. I'm in no way saying I wasn't still grateful to be there or that the show wasn't wonderful. But people didn't have to get hurt. I feel that I was made to sacrifice my enjoyment for their moments. Why were their moments, or reasons for being there more valid than mine? Because I'm just an old lady? That's not what Billie preaches.

I'm not debating whether or not Billie liked it, nor whether their behaviour on the stage was acceptable. But I'm sorry, there was nothing loving, punk or acceptable about how the majority of them treated other fans. It doesn't matter how much it meant to them. I think this tumblr anon my daughter received sums up their attitudes quite well!

I hope the mods don't mind me sharing my experience. I don't post very often and I'm not looking for sympathy, nor am I having a go at anyone specifically. I understand it was the heat of the moment. I'd just like people to understand how it affected many people in the audience. I was approached by fans of various nationalities after the show who felt the same way. It's absolutely fine to do what they did, but please try to respect people next time.

Well I do hope there were some good people there the next day/night that took special care of you so that your experience was better than the night before ;)

Edited by AlissaGoesRAWR
Remove photos from quotes.

gaslight13
On 5/29/2018 at 2:43 PM, basketcase4933 said:

I was one of the people who got knocked out. Since we're talking age here, I'm 59 and I'm disabled. I waited in line all day in the heat because it was my dream to see Billie in a venue like this. @solongfromthestars paid for me to go because she knew how much it meant to me. Up until I was knocked out, it was the best night of my life. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was mesmerised. I couldn't believe I was one of the lucky people able to attend one of these shows. I've been to 45 Green Day shows, but this topped them all. Being in a 750 capacity venue seeing The Longshot was my moment. I didn't need anything else.

I can handle front row very well and I was absolutely fine, until people became completely rabid. I was being punched and kicked in the head, having my hair ripped out and people were trying to trample me down. They were leaping onto me with no respect whatsoever. At one point a guy had his hands around my throat. My daughter was screaming at them to go over her instead of me because I'm disabled and they couldn't have cared less - she just got called a slut! When I was finally unconscious and slumped over the amp, they wouldn't even stop for security to get me out. I was broken when I came to at the back of the venue, to find one of them taking photos of me because she thought it was funny.

I know peoples' reactions are "you're an old lady, don't go to a punk show if you don't want to get hurt". But I know it's a punk show. I know people stage dive, crowd surf and rush the stage. I've been going to punk shows for years. This wasn't just rushing the stage and there was nothing punk about the way they did it. They just thought having their moments was more important than the other 650 people in the venue.

I want to be clear that I don't feel entitled to the front row or a certain experience because of my age, how long I waited in line, what it meant to me, etc. I'm in no way saying I wasn't still grateful to be there or that the show wasn't wonderful. But people didn't have to get hurt. I feel that I was made to sacrifice my enjoyment for their moments. Why were their moments, or reasons for being there more valid than mine? Because I'm just an old lady? That's not what Billie preaches.

I'm not debating whether or not Billie liked it, nor whether their behaviour on the stage was acceptable. But I'm sorry, there was nothing loving, punk or acceptable about how the majority of them treated other fans. It doesn't matter how much it meant to them. I think this tumblr anon my daughter received sums up their attitudes quite well!

I hope the mods don't mind me sharing my experience. I don't post very often and I'm not looking for sympathy, nor am I having a go at anyone specifically. I understand it was the heat of the moment. I'd just like people to understand how it affected many people in the audience. I was approached by fans of various nationalities after the show who felt the same way. It's absolutely fine to do what they did, but please try to respect people next time.

Wow. This is awful. I wish I and others (those with a soul)  had realized. Anyone who did, and did nothing or knowingly made your situation worse, should be ashamed of themselves. I'm sorry you went through that. I think there were a lot of people up there who were having fun (myself included) and conscious of at least not hurting anyone, but I can't say that it surprises me that there would be some fans shitty enough to ignore someone else's safety in favor of their own fun time, and you're right that's not punk at all. I'm glad people rushed the stage and I think most, the band included, had fun with it and weren't assholes, but no one should've been treated like this. It's just occurring to me now, but I'm surprised there was no security looking out for people. Least not that I saw. 

Edited by AlissaGoesRAWR
Please remove photos from quotes.
  • Like 1

desertrose

• Like 2

Rumpelstiltskin2000

I'm very late but I forgot to say at the time - it was lovely to meet you and your husband @AlissaGoesRAWR and to see @Lindsay and @Khaleesi. again. Hope we'll see you again soon.

• Like 2
  • Love 1