Longshot album Love is for Losers

Eric

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

A lot of the songs are about drug use IMO. "Chasing a Ghost" sounds like he's reflecting on past good times that involve drugs. "Soul Surrender" sounds like he's talking about Adrienne supporting him during rehab. The verses sound like a time in rehab and detoxing. "I got a case of burning cold" and "I think I need a long vacation to keep me clean..." sound a lot like rehab to me. "Turn Me Loose" sounds like someone trying to convince someone they don't have a problem with drugs, or like a speech you give your friends when they take your keys. "I got the shakes but I'm alright" and "So turn me loose I'm only gonna stagger" sounds like the drunk friend making light of their problem.

I agree with most of what you said but it's never occurred to me that Soul Surrender could be about a person. To me it sounds like he's talking to a god. I don't think it's necessarily religious in the traditional sense but lines like "lead me out of temptation" sure sound like it. (Or maybe it's just that the melody has a church-y vibe lmao)

I definitely think it's "vertigo" not "letting go". It makes way more sense and I don't hear an "L" sound there at all. But yeah I wish he'd included the lyrics somewhere. 

Just now, gaslight13 said:

I definitely think it's "vertigo" not "letting go". It makes way more sense and I don't hear an "L" sound there at all. But yeah I wish he'd included the lyrics somewhere. 

I hear vertigo as well. There's definitely an "r" sound going on in that line.

It's the second line of verse 2 that I can't ever make out what he's saying. Something about a window he's never owned/knowed (that's not a word)... Enunciate, Billie Joe. 

7 minutes ago, squashie09 said:

It's the second line of verse 2 that I can't ever make out what he's saying. Something about a window he's never owned/knowed (that's not a word)... Enunciate, Billie Joe. 

I think it’s “send me a message through the window, something that I have never known”

5 minutes ago, squashie09 said:

I'm hearing known but it sounds like he's saying it with a lot of congestion, haha. 

I think it's definitely "got a case of letting go" and "send me a message through the window, something that I have never known."

"Letting go" makes a lot more sense to me since it goes with the theme of "soul surrender," like letting go of everything (insecurities, expectations, etc) to bare your soul to someone.

There are some pretty awful mistakes on A-Z Lyrics :lol:  

14 hours ago, Clockwise said:

I'm pretty sure it's "I've got a case of letting go"

Also every song is definitely about Amanda.

I don’t think anyyyyyyyy song on the Longshot record is about Amanda.

10 hours ago, Virginia Lot Lizzard said:

I don’t think anyyyyyyyy song on the Longshot record is about Amanda.

Yeah it seems more like it's following on from the trilogy, the songs are about the party lifestyle he's left behind and seem to reference the same Lady Cobra character from it. I think it's a way to characterize the partying/drugs etc themes more than anything.

18 hours ago, solongfromthestars said:

I think it's definitely "got a case of letting go" and "send me a message through the window, something that I have never known."

"Letting go" makes a lot more sense to me since it goes with the theme of "soul surrender," like letting go of everything (insecurities, expectations, etc) to bare your soul to someone.

There are some pretty awful mistakes on A-Z Lyrics :lol:  

I agree with these lyrics and think it's quite clear (for Billie 😂) and I also love the soul/sole changes too.

4 hours ago, Hermione said:

Yeah it seems more like it's following on from the trilogy, the songs are about the party lifestyle he's left behind and seem to reference the same Lady Cobra character from it. I think it's a way to characterize the partying/drugs etc themes more than anything.

I think Lady Cobra is a different character than the one in the Longshot but the character(s) still following the Trilogy and the fresher story lines (that are now old too!) The Trilogy timeline seemed like he was talking about the Wild One and Fell for You and Stay the Night like she hadn’t been gone too long but she was still missing and the Longshot is like he’s sad she’s gone and wants to know where she is and it’s been too long. I really hope it’s not 100% a drug metaphor but anyway.... The songs with shadows of this character also has like a saint/sinner theme. And then this might be a stretch but so does the character of Gloria and Mother Mary. I would theorize that the new(er) theme runs through Gloria (where is your undying love) and the Wild One (she gave up on Jesus for living on Venus) knowing she was gone and kinda hopeful she’d come back and then she never did and then the Longshot is even deeper with that idea. And also just as I’m looking at what I read there: the Wild One, Fell for You and Stay the Night were on the Longshot set lists. Like it’s a running theme for the missing saint/sinner character he’s missing and wondering about.

4 hours ago, Virginia Lot Lizzard said:

I think Lady Cobra is a different character than the one in the Longshot but the character(s) still following the Trilogy and the fresher story lines (that are now old too!) The Trilogy timeline seemed like he was talking about the Wild One and Fell for You and Stay the Night like she hadn’t been gone too long but she was still missing and the Longshot is like he’s sad she’s gone and wants to know where she is and it’s been too long. I really hope it’s not 100% a drug metaphor but anyway.... The songs with shadows of this character also has like a saint/sinner theme. And then this might be a stretch but so does the character of Gloria and Mother Mary. I would theorize that the new(er) theme runs through Gloria (where is your undying love) and the Wild One (she gave up on Jesus for living on Venus) knowing she was gone and kinda hopeful she’d come back and then she never did and then the Longshot is even deeper with that idea. And also just as I’m looking at what I read there: the Wild One, Fell for You and Stay the Night were on the Longshot set lists. Like it’s a running theme for the missing saint/sinner character he’s missing and wondering about.

Never thought of Gloria being connected like that! I like it.

8 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Never thought of Gloria being connected like that! I like it.

I was just thinking.... she’s the one new character when all of a sudden the songwriting took a new turn and kinda fits the newer stuff. A younger saint/sinner character who is lost or missing that flows through the theme of a lot of the newer stuff. 

5 hours ago, Virginia Lot Lizzard said:

Wild One, Fell for You and Stay the Night were on the Longshot set lists.

🤔 Interesting...never connected it but I always wondered why they were on there. Thanks!

25 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizzard said:

she’s the one new character when all of a sudden the songwriting took a new turn and kinda fits the newer stuff. A younger saint/sinner character who is lost or missing that flows through the theme of a lot of the newer stuff.

I like your interpretation. 

Wish a download code had been included in the vinyl version of the album. A little disappointing, but not too surprising as no Green Day vinyl releases have ever included one. 

Still a great album nonetheless. 

On 10/23/2018 at 3:51 PM, Grunt said:

Wish a download code had been included in the vinyl version of the album. A little disappointing, but not too surprising as no Green Day vinyl releases have ever included one. 

Still a great album nonetheless. 

I downloaded all the Longshot I could as soon as the music was available ASAP all of it the EPs and whole kit and caboodle.... I wasn't gonna wait for a download code and who wants to wait around that?? KABLAMO!!!!

On 4/21/2018 at 8:14 AM, Matt. said:

Recency bias. Remind yourself to review your feelings in a few months.

Still think Love is for Losers is the best thing Billie has made since AI.

3 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Still think Love is for Losers is the best thing Billie has made since AI.

The Trilogy is underrated. Love is for Losers is the best album end to end but so much of it is echos from the Trilogy. Love is for Losers is amazing top to bottom. 

On 4/19/2018 at 10:50 AM, Eric said:

No I know how this works, I am first to preview albums when they drop like this or I know it's how most things leak. :lol: BUT FUCK MAN NO DEVILS KIND :(

and yet Body Bag makes it :(

I’m gonna say no Devil’s Kind yet the Last Time makes it. But it makes sense.... Body Bag is a sad song.

I think it’s because Devils Kind is more upbeat and present and fun like the little exorcist from Bouncing off the Wall is still around or not too far away with the theme of Devils Kind. 

Love is for Losers as a whole album is more reflective and sad and sentimental. Devils Kind isn’t heartbreaking. It’s fun! But then Love is for Losers is heartbreaking and fun! Pain is fun! Apparently. Being alone and heartbroken and staring at the phone chasing a ghost is fun. Love is for Losers is a great record and I think it keeps a theme. 

I get that Devil’s Kind didn’t fit with the theme of the album but I loved how after everyone freaked out over it’s absence he quickly released it as a single.  He loves us. 

16 minutes ago, Eric said:

I still think he could of easily removed that Body Bag song for Devil's Kind.

Or didn’t take anything out and just added it on. Body Bag and Devils Kind are great songs. There’s only 11 songs on the Love is for Losers record. Devils Kind wouldn’t make the record too long. I think it’s was a theme choice. 

19 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I get that Devil’s Kind didn’t fit with the theme of the album but I loved how after everyone freaked out over it’s absence he quickly released it as a single.  He loves us. 

I know! I love that too! I love love love love Devils Kind! But he’s really careful with his music and his craft and there’s a reason it wasn’t on the record. But ya we flippedddddd out and he released it as a single ASAP we are so lucky to be so spoiled ❤️

3 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Still think Love is for Losers is the worst thing Billie has made since AI.

Ftfy :lol:

Archived