Longshot album Love is for Losers

Eric

39 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

When Mike was saying things like "going for an easy A" in Cuatro regarding some of the songs in, you have to wonder what their overall mentality is about the band.

I know I’m only focusing on a small portion of your argument, but wasn’t Mike making that “easy A” comment about Tre? If I remember correctly, they were working on Missing You and Billie was on drums when the comment was made that if they get Tre behind the drums, it’d sound amazing. Following that comment was Mikes comment about getting an “easy A.”

so what I’m trying to say is that I don’t think there’s a problem with the bands mentality. They love what they do and I truly believe they try to produce the best music they can

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Green Day existed for quite a few years before Tre so the “without Mike and Tre there’s no Green Day” is a complete and utter lie 

No it's absolutely not lol.

Green Day have existed since ~1986, Tré has been a member since 1990. Why yeah, 4 years sounds like a lot, but when you put it into perspective to the 32 years that Green Day have been making music, he has been a contributing member for 28 years. That's longer than most of the fans have been alive. Tré shaped the music probably just as much as Mike and Billie have and he was there when they blew up, he was there when they experimented with their sound and changed it multiple times. To everyone you ask, Green Day is a trio of the emo, the tall lanky dude and the crazy guy, and that's what people love and cherish. Sure, the focus always seems to be on Billie, but to say that Green Day could exist without Mike or Tré is wrong. 

Why, yes, Billie could continue under the name Green Day without them, but at least to me, that wouldn't be Green Day, not when 2/3 of it are missing. It's not just the technicalities, it's also the sentiments and the emotions that are associated with the band. That may work for other bands who have switched all bandmembers out since the start of the band's existence, but that's not the case for Green Day who have always put so much importance into the fact that they are close friends (or even family) who work closely with each other and cherish each other in private and on stage.

3 minutes ago, emenius said:

Out of interest has anyone seen any acknowledgement/congratulations on the album from Mike/Tre on social media?....not that they need to do it publicly.....

Why?

3 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

No it's absolutely not lol.

Green Day have existed since ~1986, Tré has been a member since 1990. Why yeah, 4 years sounds like a lot, but when you put it into perspective to the 32 years that Green Day have been making music, he has been a contributing member for 28 years. That's longer than most of the fans have been alive. Tré shaped the music probably just as much as Mike and Billie have and he was there when they blew up, he was there when they experimented with their sound and changed it multiple times. To everyone you ask, Green Day is a trio of the emo, the tall lanky dude and the crazy guy, and that's what people love and cherish. Sure, the focus always seems to be on Billie, but to say that Green Day could exist without Mike or Tré is wrong. 

Why, yes, Billie could continue under the name Green Day without them, but at least to me, that wouldn't be Green Day, not when 2/3 of it are missing. It's not just the technicalities, it's also the sentiments and the emotions that are associated with the band. That may work for other bands who have switched all bandmembers out since the start of the band's existence, but that's not the case for Green Day.

Tre is not an original member hell he's not even a 2nd or 3rd member or even the 4th member of the band he’s the 5th yes he’s outlasted the other 4 but Green Day has made several records (2 ep’s 1 LP a various compilations tracks) without Tre and could do so again Mike would be a tad bit different story

not that I would want to see Tre gone but saying that a guy who in the band who is literally the 5th replacement for 4 other former members to say a band wouldn’t exist is a flat out lie as the band existed with 4 other people before the member it’s like saying Nirvana wouldn’t exist without Dave Grohl

58 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Green Day is not breaking up. They're still great friends. But Mike and Tre have to be at least slightly weary that Billie's solo record is legitimately the best thing anyone in the group has made in close to a decade. Sure, maybe this album lacks the musicianship of Tre and Mike, but all that is meaningless if the songs aren't good. This solo album has more energy, catchiness, and memorable musicianship than anything they've made recently. When Mike was saying things like "going for an easy A" in Cuatro regarding some of the songs in, you have to wonder what their overall mentality is about the band. Yes, Billie has always been the workaholic, driving force of Green Day, but many great bands have multiple members who contribute to writing and creativity. Mike and Tre seem to go along with whatever Billie says and maybe add some parts for their instruments. Heck, Mike's bass had been essentially edited out of the mix until RevRad, and even then it wasn't balanced. Based on this solo record, Billie could easily continue Green Day without Mike and Tre. Just hire some of the Green Day cronies to tour, and boom, new band. Honestly, if Mike and Tre listen to this album and don't feel a bit upset, that only confirms they are just along for the ride. Next GD record, they both need to shine.

Music is subjective....just because YOU think this tops everything in the past decade, doesnt mean Billie, Mike & Tre do... Billie once said 99 revolutions was the best song he's written....at the time I didnt think so (still dont) but as I said its all individual tastes. Another example, I love the style of Green Day, old rock, The Beatles etc but some of my friends hate it. Doesnt mean shit

17 minutes ago, emenius said:

Out of interest has anyone seen any acknowledgement/congratulations on the album from Mike/Tre on social media?....not that they need to do it publicly.....

They have both liked posts by Billie about the Longshot on instagram back when Billie first started teasing the band weeks ago.

I've listened through twice and my thoughts are it's a pretty solid album. It's nothing groundbreaking or experimental, which is fine! It's Billie Joe's bread and butter and I like the laid-back feel of the album. I also appreciate all the little guitar riffs sprinkled in the songs. This won't become one of my favorite albums but I enjoy it. (Also, I can't even believe this is up for debate, but Mike and Tre are both vital members of Green Day :lol:)

I can’t believe people are debating Mike and Tre’s value on a fucking Green Day forum. Like literally get a fucking grip. Sure the Longshot are great but let’s not pull some imagined problem Green Day are having out of our fucking asses. 

5 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Tre is not an original member hell he's not even a 2nd or 3rd member or even the 4th member of the band he’s the 5th yes he’s outlasted the other 4 but Green Day has made several records (2 ep’s 1 LP a various compilations tracks) without Tre and could do so again Mike would be a tad bit different story

not that I would want to see Tre gone but saying that a guy who in the band who is literally the 5th replacement for 4 other former members to say a band wouldn’t exist is a flat out lie as the band existed with 4 other people before the member it’s like saying Nirvana wouldn’t exist without Dave Grohl

sure if that's how you feel about Tré, man, I can't change it. But to me he doesn't feel like another irrelevant 5th replacement of some other irrelevant drummers who never or barely had any impact.

2 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

I can’t believe people are debating Mike and Tre’s value on a fucking Green Day forum. Like literally get a fucking grip. Sure the Longshot are great but let’s not pull some imagined problem Green Day are having out of our fucking asses. 

Thank you

Just now, Billie Hoe said:

sure if that's how you feel about Tré, man, I can't change it. But to me he doesn't feel like another irrelevant 5th replacement of some other irrelevant drummers who never or barely had any impact.

Oh I’m not at all saying he doesn’t have impact of course he does don’t get me wrong but for me it’s just wrong to say a band wouldn’t exist at all if there wasn’t a member when the said member wasn’t there from the beginning I’m not at all disagreeing with you that fans wouldn’t take to Tre being replaced kindly or that it’d even work now I guess I’m not typing what I mean correctly and I apologize for that 

5 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

It's just some thoughts and my personal opinion. People shouldn't be taking things so personally. I never said my opinion was fact.

1 minute ago, WhiteTim said:

Oh I’m not at all saying he doesn’t have impact of course he does don’t get me wrong but for me it’s just wrong to say a band wouldn’t exist at all if there wasn’t a member when the said member wasn’t there from the beginning I’m not at all disagreeing with you that fans wouldn’t take to Tre being replaced kindly or that it’d even work now I guess I’m not typing what I mean correctly and I apologize for that 

Juste meant the band we love wouldn’t exist, and she’s totally right.

1 minute ago, DookieLukie said:

It's just some thoughts and my personal opinion. People shouldn't be taking things so personally. I never said my opinion was fact.

I don’t know what you expected. You said your opinion, I said mine. And LIFL being better than any GD material from the last decade was completely subjective and didn’t warrant a random attack on two thirds of the band we’re all here for. 

6 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Okay like, Green Day wouldn't have existed for much longer if John had stayed, and the first drummer they kicked out because he straight up sucked. John sabotaged them by declining offers from labels without telling them and thus pissing Billie and Mike off and he left the band because he was never really serious about anyway. Tré replaced him and never strayed from their side, thanks to him they're even more remarkable than they have been. Yeah, MAYBE if there had been a twist of fate and they had found somebody else to replace John with, Green Day would still exist today, but even then, they wouldn't be the same. Every single member makes the band what they are, and to say that Green Day could continue being Green Day without these important and vital members, is wrong.

6 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

Okay like, Green Day wouldn't have existed for much longer if John had stayed, and the first drummer they kicked out because he straight up sucked. He sabotaged them by declining offers from labels without telling them and thus pissing Billie and Mike off and he left the band because he was never really serious about anyway. Tré replaced him and never strayed from their side, thanks to him they're even more remarkable than they have been. Yeah, MAYBE if there had been a twist of fate and they had found somebody else to replace John with, Green Day would still exist today, but even then, they wouldn't be the same. Every single member makes the band what they are, and to say that Green Day could continue being Green Day without these important and vital members, is wrong.

So are 1039 and some songs off of Kerplunk not Green Day then?  Billie is the main and primary songwriter the sound would still be there as long as Billie is behind the music 

but yes I wouldn’t want to see another drummer as Green Day and while I get the sentiment behind the before HOF Show they did with John I had no interest in it cause it wasn’t Tre 

3 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

So are 1039 and some songs off of Kerplunk not Green Day then?  

The point ---->   o

your head ---> :mellow:

They were at the time.

3 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

So are 1039 and some songs off of Kerplunk not Green Day then?  Billie is the main and primary songwriter the sound would still be there as long as Billie is behind the music 

I mean, 1,039 was Green Day but Tré Cool was 100x the drummer John Kiffmeyer was. He was easily replaceable. Tré wouldn't be.

Why are people talking about Dirnt and Tré this way? They've contributed so much to Green Day throughout the years. I understand people criticizing their playing in the recent GD albums (even if I don't agree) but it seems like people are saying "Mike and Tré should feel bad because Billie did a great side project and they weren't apart of it"

21 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

Juste meant the band we love wouldn’t exist, and she’s totally right.

I don’t know what you expected. You said your opinion, I said mine. And LIFL being better than any GD material from the last decade was completely subjective and didn’t warrant a random attack on two thirds of the band we’re all here for. 

I respect your opinion. Don't act like I'm attacking Mike and Tre personally. You're acting like I'm insulting their character. My opinion is of questioning their contributions. No reason to make it personal by telling me to get a grip, swearing, and saying "you're insulting the band we love." I love the band too.

1 minute ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I mean, 1,039 was Green Day but Tré Cool was 100x the drummer John Kiffmeyer was. He was easily replaceable. Tré wouldn't be.

Oh yeah Tre wouldn’t be easily replaceable at all hearing the drummer Longshot are using for the live shows do Stay The Night and Fell For You is easy proof for that 

I get where Juste is coming from Juste is coming from the sentiment angle and I wholeheartedly agree with I’m just coming with the technical angle over the way it was worded cause I’m an idiot who gets fixated on petty shit for some reason 

I finally gave the album a listen.  It's really good - 8/10.  If Devil's Kind was on it, we'd  be at 8.5 or 9 :).

haha whoa wtf is happening in here... could billie continue green day if something happened to mike or tre? or if one of them stepped away? technically, yeah, he probably could if he really wanted to. but honestly, would he? who fucking knows. maybe, maybe not. i doubt even billie could answer that question. why are we even talking about this? yeah, you are right, TECHNICALLY, if billie really wanted to, green day could exist without one of them... but lets all just hope that nothing happens to those dudes, they live a long and healthy life, green day will keep doing their thing, billie mike and tre will continue being homies, and most likely billie will continue doing projects like these in-between green day albums.

if u think this proj is better than anything green day has done in a decade, well then I'm glad u love it so much. i wouldn't agree, but to each his own. either way, mike and tre are adults and insanely successful musicians, i highly doubt they are sitting somewhere feeling insecure about any of this. they have an incredible legacy they've built with billie, and they know they'll return to continue that legacy in the future. I'm sure they're MORE than fine. also, they know billie better than any of us obviously, and I'm sure they know that he's just a fucking maniac who has songs surging through his veins, and projects like these are fun for him. i would be shocked if they were somewhere right now mad that he released this album.

Guys, two or maybe three songs could have worked for Green Day. The rest is another story. Mike and Tré are happy doing what they want to do.

For trilogy, you have to remember the fact of the rehab, the aborted promotion, along the internal problems for them. Is not easy going from a average popular rock band to one band that has almost legendary status around their peers and around the world. That spawn from 2003 to 2010 changed how the band works and feels. Green Day is almost an institution by itself. And that institution has to keep some integrety. They care about their legacy more now than ever. That means, Longshot is a risk under Green Day name. And looking how the last risk was recieved, we have what it is :)

8 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I respect your opinion. Don't act like I'm attacking Mike and Tre personally. You're acting like I'm insulting their character. My opinion is of questioning their contributions. No reason to make it personal by telling me to get a grio, swearing, and saying "you're insulting the band we love." I love the band too.

This band is personal for a lot of people. You’d be insane to imply Mike and Tre are not doing their bit and not expect people to react strongly. Yeah I took the bait, whatever. Maybe that was my fault. But I found it hard to let that shit slide. 🤷‍♀️ 

I can understand some of the thoughts people perhaps have concerning Mike’s and Tre’s more recent work, but then I just can’t agee at all that this is somehow the best thing they’ve done in a decade. RevRad features arguably some of the best drumming Tre has done in a while and the bass lines on the Longshot songs are nothing special. Also, sure technically Green Day could potentially exist without Tre and Mike, but in name only. I mean, it’s highly disingenuous to disregard the last 28 years of Green Day’s existence, which very much shaped who they are and what they’ve contributed. I mean (and this’ll offend some people), Green Day was not a properly tuned and viable band before Tre joined. Today we enjoy some of their early material, but honestly John’s drumming is actually terrible and doesn’t work at all well together with Mike’s and Billie’s playing. Unlike Nirvana (used as an unfair comparison) we’re not simply talking about a few albums and a 4 year career, no we’re talking about 10 (11) studio albums and a 28+ year career as a trio (exception JW being added between 2012-2016). It would be like removing Roger Waters and Nick Mason from Pink Floyd and still calling that Pink Floyd. That would make absolutely no sense whatsoever...

Are we acting like questioning Mike and Tré's contributions to the band and implying that Billie would be better off without them after 30 years of shared history, hard work and success is not disrespectful to them as people? After everything they have done and still do for each other and us? I find that incredibly entitled.

This album is so delicious.  

This album is sprinkled with Billie's favorite buzz words and some familiar quotes.  At first I picked up on the ones from American Idiot because of how they are burnt into my brain.  But there are little threads from Breakdown, Trilogy and Revolution Radio peppered throughout.  it's pretty cool to discover them.   Delicious I tell you! 

Too dumb to die or even cry, WOO HOO!  

Right now my top picks are:  

Happiness, Soul Surrender and Cult Hero.   Just Freaking WOW. 

Has anyone tried to say this album is a concept album yet?  I'm looking at the songs and honestly, I don't think I could find a story if I tried.  

• Hermione changed the title to Longshot album Love is for Losers

Archived